USS Theodore Roosevelt

6 minutes ago, niart17 said:

Really? So you're saying that shutting down a country, destroying its economy and potentially stopping it's means of supporting itself can't lead to health risk? Perhaps you should look at the general health of the u.s. citizen during the great depression.

In the modern age we aren’t talking years of the economy being shut-down, if everyone does their part this should only take a few months. If everyone did isolate properly it should have been eliminated in weeks.

So this can’t be compared to the Great Depression.

12 minutes ago, nspreitler said:

Look at the Smithfield plant South Dakota for what can happen quickly in a small town.  The stay at home orders will have to be lifted and things will open, but it has to be done wisely.  Georgia is a prime example of how not to do it, they are reopening movie theaters, restaurants, tattoo parlors, barbers, nail salons, etc all at one.   I will be shocked if they don't have a huge resurgence of cases.  

Georgia is opening up what should be the last part of the economy to open, people with direct contact with others.

It almost like they are using that part of the populace as a test base, human guinea pigs.

That’s the only sense I can make of it. 

11 minutes ago, niart17 said:

Really? So you're saying that shutting down a country, destroying its economy and potentially stopping it's means of supporting itself can't lead to health risk? Perhaps you should look at the general health of the u.s. citizen during the great depression.

This isn't a one or the other issue.  We have to take very strict precautions for the virus, while doing what we can to keep the economy going.   You don't have to downplay the severity of the virus which is what is happening with media like Fox News to acknowledge the economic impacts or the risks that come with keeping people isolated.    

4 minutes ago, Scooby said:

Georgia is opening up what should be the last part of the economy to open, people with direct contact with others.

It almost like they are using that part of the populace as a test base, human guinea pigs.

That’s the only sense I can make of it. 

I don't understand their logic at all, I don't think anyone does.   I really hope they don't end up killing a lot of people, and that somehow it works but what they are doing doesn't make sense.  They still have hundreds of new cases diagnosed a day,  even though they fall well behind the average for testing so it's safe to assume they have thousands more not being diagnosed.  

- The number one cause of death in the US is heart disease, the Chinese Virus isn't even in the top ten right now.

- Only hospitals the NYC area are being overran with patients.

- No one is downplaying the severity of this, some are just not running around screaming the sky is falling and trying to incite others to live in fear.

And if Fox News is so bad and wrong so often why how it they have more viewers than Communist News Network and MSDNC, combined?

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/fox-news-draws-biggest-ratings-quarter-ever-cnn-prime-time-sees-massive-surge-in-viewership/

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/cnn-and-msnbc-ratings/

And Mediaite is liberal site.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/mediaite/

15 minutes ago, nspreitler said:

This isn't a one or the other issue.  We have to take very strict precautions for the virus, while doing what we can to keep the economy going.   You don't have to downplay the severity of the virus which is what is happening with media like Fox News to acknowledge the economic impacts or the risks that come with keeping people isolated.    

I'm not downplaying the severity. I'm stating that if we keep the country locked down for as long as it takes for New York, mainly New York City, to become Covid free, or wait until there is a vaccine. then there are going to be some really really long lasting consequences. Downplaying that is equally dangerous.

And then you have a large group of people that are saying we need to keep everything locked down indefinitely, yet we shouldn't stop the flow of "international traffic" we'll say, from coming into the country. I'd say that those people aren't really concerned AT ALL about the health of the people but rather only concerned with whatever they can to make certain things look bad. So when you listen to that source that's providing all of this excellent advice, keep in mind they've been operating with an agenda for several years now. And they will use whatever they can to keep pushing that. So yes, there is bad info coming from all sides of this one.

There's an awful lot of people here who don't watch Fox News but sure do know what they are saying, maybe the sources they are getting their info from is a little biased, after all, you are watching Fox's COMPETITORS.

And as far as people not following what you want them to do, guess you forgot what America is based on........individual freedom.

Edited by GW8345
9 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

- The number one cause of death in the US is heart disease, the Chinese Virus isn't even in the top ten right now.

- Only hospitals the NYC area are being overran with patients.

- No one is downplaying the severity of this, some are just not running around screaming the sky is falling and trying to incite others to live in fear.

And if Fox News is so bad and wrong so often why how it they have more viewers than Communist News Network and MSDNC, combined?

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/fox-news-draws-biggest-ratings-quarter-ever-cnn-prime-time-sees-massive-surge-in-viewership/

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/cnn-and-msnbc-ratings/

And Mediaite is liberal site.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/mediaite/

Based on daily averages the number one cause for the last two weeks is COVID. 

It's not just NYC.  Michigan, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Orleans, and other parts of the country have been hit hard.  

The number of viewers has nothing to do with accuracy or quality, even though they are interesting to watch at times.  Most of the time they are so far from accurate it's almost funny, but I don't mind hearing opinions I don't agree with.    They have a large audience of people who only want to hear opinions they agree with, so anything that doesn't match their worldview is "fake news", or as you put it communist.  

Georgia will be interesting to watch.  The results should be predictable, but who knows.

What baffles me is people that wear gloves and no mask.  They are terrified to touch anything with bare skin for fear they might get the virus on their skin.  This is a lung infection, so stopping it from getting into your lungs is the goal.  N95 mask does this.  This virus can not infect you through a cut in your skin, so gloves is a very secondary form of protection..

The government could open up the economy if everyone had access to N95 masks.  People should not be forced to wear them, but they should be forced to wear some sort of mask to contain the droplets from their coughing (those droplets could go into the eye of a person wearing an N95 mask and give them the virus).

I find it quite baffling the amount of dithering going on regarding the path forward. 

1)  Lockdown to get the hospitals numbers under control.   Only lockdown in areas where hospitals are overrun with Covid-19 patients.  Do NOT lock down rural areas with few if any covid-19 patients, but educate the residents how to avoid Covid-19 and encourage all people to stay in their own communities to restrict spreading this to rural areas.

2)  Provide N95 masks to areas with high infection rates first.  Make N-95 masks available to all citizens as soon as possible. 

3)  Require all citizens to at least wear some sort of mask to restrict their coughing droplets. 

4)  Open up the economy.  People doing prolonged close contact....hair and nail salons and movie theaters etc will all require N95 masks.

5)  Then open up the economy and get things back on track. 

6)  Develope a vaccine and made it voluntary.  There is no need to protect people if they don't want it.  Natural selection will sort it out in the end.

The only problem is there is a need for billions of N95 masks and production should have been increased long ago on producing N95 masks.

As for US news media.....I find both sides to be slanted in their coverage.  NPR seems to be the only media that comes close to balanced news. 

9 minutes ago, SBARC said:

As for US news media.....I find both sides to be slanted in their coverage.  NPR seems to be the only media that comes close to balanced news. 

I do like NPR.  There is certainly bias in cable news going for ratings over truth.   Print media is a little better, the WSJ and Washington Post are still good sources  

20 minutes ago, nspreitler said:

Well if Covid-19 is going to become a bigger worldwide killer than automobile accidents it still has 1,175,664 deaths to go. It's just over 1/10th of the way there. Granted it's early but that's a lot to happen when this is supposed to be on the downside right now. Just sayin'

4 minutes ago, nspreitler said:

I do like NPR.  There is certainly bias in cable news going for ratings over truth.   Print media is a little better, the WSJ and Washington Post are still good sources  

NPR is MOSTLY on the up and up until it comes to their national political coverage. At that point they lean pretty far left. Not so much by content but rather more by omission.

5 minutes ago, niart17 said:

Well if Covid-19 is going to become a bigger worldwide killer than automobile accidents it still has 1,175,664 deaths to go. It's just over 1/10th of the way there. Granted it's early but that's a lot to happen when this is supposed to be on the downside right now. Just sayin'

It's killed more people in the US in the last month than car accidents do in a year, but continue to downplay it.  

48 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

<....>

- No one is downplaying the severity of this, <...>

Yikes! :rolleyes:

41 minutes ago, nspreitler said:

It's not just NYC.  Michigan, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Orleans, and other parts of the country have been hit hard.  

The number of viewers has nothing to do with accuracy or quality, even though they are interesting to watch at times.  Most of the time they are so far from accurate it's almost funny, but I don't mind hearing opinions I don't agree with.    They have a large audience of people who only want to hear opinions they agree with, so anything that doesn't match their worldview is "fake news", or as you put it communist.  

Please quote the post where I said people who don't agree with my worldview are "communist", I'll wait

So, what you are saying is that people will watch a news station knowing that they put out fake news just because they agree with the opinions, you really don't think to highly of people who watch Fox News then.

Edited by GW8345
Just now, GW8345 said:

Please quote the post where I said people who agree with my worldview are "communist", I'll wait

So, what you are saying is that people will watch a news station knowing that they put out fake news just because they agree with the opinions, you really don't think to highly of people who watch Fox News then.

Your reference to CNN as the communist news network says enough.  That you think the opinions of those on the other side of the aisle are communist is telling.   

The people who believe what it is on Fox don't know that it isn't accurate.  They believe it, they aren't smart enough to look at multiple sources and have an informed opinion so they believe what Hannity tells them to believe.   You are right, I don't think too highly of the people who only get their news from Fox.  

Just now, nspreitler said:

Your reference to CNN as the communist news network says enough.  That you think the opinions of those on the other side of the aisle are communist is telling.   

The people who believe what it is on Fox don't know that it isn't accurate.  They believe it, they aren't smart enough to look at multiple sources and have an informed opinion so they believe what Hannity tells them to believe.   You are right, I don't think too highly of the people who only get their news from Fox.  

I called CNN Communist News Network and you came up with that I think everyone on the "other side of the aisle" are communist, that's a yuge leap. The reason why I call CNN what I did is because they have reported CCP propaganda and in the past have reported Russian propaganda.

Glad to see how you people who don't share your own views, guess you think you are the tolerant too.

1 minute ago, GW8345 said:

I called CNN Communist News Network and you came up with that I think everyone on the "other side of the aisle" are communist, that's a yuge leap. The reason why I call CNN what I did is because they have reported CCP propaganda and in the past have reported Russian propaganda.

Glad to see how you people who don't share your own views, guess you think you are the tolerant too.

I have no problem with people who don't share my views, I don't like people who throw out words like communist without understanding what that means.  If you choose to only accept news you agree with that's your choice, but it's a good idea to hear many viewpoints and make an informed decision.  

11 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

So has FOX. Actually quite a few times to be exact. And it doesn't have to come directly from their broadcasts. It can come from the people that they allow on their shows or sound bytes. It's when the people at the network don't do their diligence and ensure their viewers understand it's Russian propaganda is where the problem lies. 

8 minutes ago, nspreitler said:

I have no problem with people who don't share my views, I don't like people who throw out words like communist without understanding what that means.  If you choose to only accept news you agree with that's your choice, but it's a good idea to hear many viewpoints and make an informed decision.  

Guess I never understood the meaning of the word "communist" means, even after serving during the Cold War and facing off with the Russian Navy.

Tell you what, why don't you enlighten me on what the word "communist" means.

7 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

So has FOX. Actually quite a few times to be exact. And it doesn't have to come directly from their broadcasts. It can come from the people that they allow on their shows or sound bytes. It's when the people at the network don't do their diligence and ensure their viewers understand it's Russian propaganda is where the problem lies. 

I'm not doubting that, Fox does bring on commentators from the "other side of the aisle" and some of them can be out there if you know what I mean.

Now, for CNN and MSDNC, what conservative commentators do they have on their shows?

1 minute ago, GW8345 said:

Guess I never understood the meaning of the word "communist" means, even after serving during the Cold War and facing off with the Russian Navy.

Tell you what, why don't you enlighten me on what the word "communist" means.

Obviously you didn't, and maybe I missed it but I don't recall any naval battles with the Russians during the Cold War.  

Communism as in the Soviet communist state is a single party government with ownership of everything.  No private property, so private business, no democratic elections, etc.   The textbook definition is the people own everything, there isn't even a state but that definition is of a theory not any large scale reality.    Either way I don't think you find CNN advocating for either definition.  

5 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

I'm not doubting that, Fox does bring on commentators from the "other side of the aisle" and some of them can be out there if you know what I mean.

Now, for CNN and MSDNC, what conservative commentators do they have on their shows?

It's not those on the other side of the aisle.   Here is a quote from Tucker Carlson

"Why do I care … what is going on in the conflict between Ukraine and Russia?” “And I’m serious. Why do I care? Why shouldn’t I root for Russia, which I am?”

1 hour ago, SBARC said:

1)  Lockdown to get the hospitals numbers under control.   Only lockdown in areas where hospitals are overrun with Covid-19 patients.  Do NOT lock down rural areas with few if any covid-19 patients, but educate the residents how to avoid Covid-19 and encourage all people to stay in their own communities to restrict spreading this to rural areas.

2)  Provide N95 masks to areas with high infection rates first.  Make N-95 masks available to all citizens as soon as possible. 

3)  Require all citizens to at least wear some sort of mask to restrict their coughing droplets. 

4)  Open up the economy.  People doing prolonged close contact....hair and nail salons and movie theaters etc will all require N95 masks.

5)  Then open up the economy and get things back on track. 

6)  Develope a vaccine and made it voluntary.  There is no need to protect people if they don't want it.  Natural selection will sort it out in the end.

Come on, who are you kidding? That makes perfect sense! Politicians aren't going to do anything that makes perfect sense! 😄