USS Theodore Roosevelt

1 minute ago, nspreitler said:

Obviously you didn't, and maybe I missed it but I don't recall any naval battles with the Russians during the Cold War.  

Communism as in the Soviet communist state is a single party government with ownership of everything.  No private property, so private business, no democratic elections, etc.   The textbook definition is the people own everything, there isn't even a state but that definition is of a theory not any large scale reality.    Either way I don't think you find CNN advocating for either definition.  

That's because not everything that happened out there was reported by CNN.

Funny story, we use to have a Russian destroyer pull along side us every morning and evening to take pictures and listen to what we were saying. They usually got within 50 feet of us so I started to save all the spent cartridges from the bomb racks for the days flights and when they came close would chunk them at the destroyer, had a few bounce off their hull. Oh, and having IL-38 May's and Tu-95 Bear's fly over the deck at 500 feet dropping chaff was always fun too.

And actually there have been people on CNN advocating what you just wrote, ever heard of AOC?

6 minutes ago, nspreitler said:

Obviously you didn't, and maybe I missed it but I don't recall any naval battles with the Russians during the Cold War.  

Communism as in the Soviet communist state is a single party government with ownership of everything.  No private property, so private business, no democratic elections, etc.   The textbook definition is the people own everything, there isn't even a state but that definition is of a theory not any large scale reality.    Either way I don't think you find CNN advocating for either definition.  

Actually that's false. Damn near every day there was naval warfare being conducted between the United States and the Soviet Union during the Cold War. Just because there wasn't ships being blown up by torpedoes or planes blown out of the sky doesn't mean there wasn't a war. There were plenty of casualties to prove it.

14 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

I'm not doubting that, Fox does bring on commentators from the "other side of the aisle" and some of them can be out there if you know what I mean.

Now, for CNN and MSDNC, what conservative commentators do they have on their shows?

The President of the United States is one of those commentators that has repeatedly pushed Russian propaganda on Fox News, even after it was permanently deemed fake.

Just now, GW8345 said:

That's because not everything that happened out there was reported by CNN.

Funny story, we use to have a Russian destroyer pull along side us every morning and evening to take pictures and listen to what we were saying. They usually got within 50 feet of us so I started to save all the spent cartridges from the bomb racks for the days flights and when they came close would chunk them at the destroyer, had a few bounce off their hull. Oh, and having IL-38 May's and Tu-95 Bear's fly over the deck at 500 feet dropping chaff was always fun too.

And actually there have been people on CNN advocating what you just wrote, ever heard of AOC?

They got close, that's just like combat.   Who on CNN has advocated for the abolition of all private property and one party elections?   

4 minutes ago, nspreitler said:

It's not those on the other side of the aisle.   Here is a quote from Tucker Carlson

"Why do I care … what is going on in the conflict between Ukraine and Russia?” “And I’m serious. Why do I care? Why shouldn’t I root for Russia, which I am?”

Source?

Also, I'm thinking you are talking that out of context since you aren't citing a source. I can quote all kinds of stuff and say it's true without a source backing up the quote.

1 minute ago, GW8345 said:

Source?

Also, I'm thinking you are talking that out of context since you aren't citing a source. I can quote all kinds of stuff and say it's true without a source backing up the quote.

Watch it

1 minute ago, nspreitler said:

Watch it

What were they talking about?

There's no context to the clip, hell, they could be talking about Russia investigating Hunter Biden for all I know.

Why don't you get the whole segment and post that instead of cherry picking a 37 second clip.

6 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Actually that's false. Damn near every day there was naval warfare being conducted between the United States and the Soviet Union during the Cold War. Just because there wasn't ships being blown up by torpedoes or planes blown out of the sky doesn't mean there wasn't a war. There were plenty of casualties to prove it.

Sorry but I have to disagree, there was tension and there were noncombat incidents.  It wasn't war though.   If there isn't combat, it's not a war.  

Just now, GW8345 said:

What were they talking about?

There's no context to the clip, hell, they could be talking about Russia investigating Hunter Biden for all I know.

Why don't you get the whole segment and post that instead of cherry picking a 37 second clip.

Did you catch where he said he is rooting for Russia?  That's not out of context that a pretty clear statement, he wants Russia to win.   But go ahead and pretend he didn't say that.  

7 minutes ago, nspreitler said:

They got close, that's just like combat.   Who on CNN has advocated for the abolition of all private property and one party elections?   

When did I say combat?

You sure have a difficult time understand written words, since when is "facing off" mean combat?

And I guess all those Naval airman who were shot down and killed by the Russian's during the Cold War never really happened either since there was no naval battles between the US and USSR.

3 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

Come on, who are you kidding? That makes perfect sense! Politicians aren't going to do anything that makes perfect sense! 😄

Yup...sometimes it is painful watching this train wreck with everyone so busy pointing fingers. 

I'm thankful for the most part people in my city are doing a good job with social distancing and the spread of the virus has been almost brought to a standstill.  My island is 280 miles long with 1 million people and 93 known cases and half of them have healed and released from hospital.  The vast bulk of Covid-19 patients in Canada seem to be from longterm care homes.  Ferry traffic to and from my island is down 95% and I suspect the remaining traffic is mostly truck traffic bringing food to the island etc.  My brother inlaw is a Doctor in the UK and things are pretty grim in London.  Canada is bending the curve and in some areas the curve is being flattened.  I suspect in a few weeks most businesses will begin some limited form on operation in my city.

This mess won't be cleaned up until everyone starts moving in the same direction. 

5 minutes ago, nspreitler said:

Sorry but I have to disagree, there was tension and there were noncombat incidents.  It wasn't war though.   If there isn't combat, it's not a war.  

So Russian's shooting down American planes is a "non-combat" incident?

6 minutes ago, nspreitler said:

Did you catch where he said he is rooting for Russia?  That's not out of context that a pretty clear statement, he wants Russia to win.   But go ahead and pretend he didn't say that.  

To win what, the lottery?

15 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

So Russian's shooting down American planes is a "non-combat" incident?

I should have said incidents, usually involving aircraft straying into the wrong airspace.  We had some shot down and we shot down a few.   From what I can tell the last Navy aircraft was in 1955 though.   

25 minutes ago, nspreitler said:

I'm sorry but what's the name of the period of time between 1947 and 1989 again? The Cold War?

1 minute ago, Whiskey said:

I'm sorry but what's the name of the period of time between 1947 and 1989 again? The Cold War?

There were wars in that time, Korea, Vietnam, even Grenada.  Those can be considered the proxy wars of the Cold War, but we never went to war with the Soviet Union thankfully.  That doesn't diminish the service of those who served in that time it's just reality though.   There are things now that aren't very different.  You can get a GWOT-E medal for sitting in Kuwait, but you aren't at war.  

Just now, nspreitler said:

There were wars in that time, Korea, Vietnam, even Grenada.  Those can be considered the proxy wars of the Cold War, but we never went to war with the Soviet Union thankfully.  That doesn't diminish the service of those who served in that time it's just reality though.   There are things now that aren't very different.  You can get a GWOT-E medal for sitting in Kuwait, but you aren't at war.  

Still doesn't address the fact he said "facing off". Boxers face off against each other at weigh in before a single punch is thrown and sometimes actually hit each other. That's not THE FIGHT, but it's still a punch.

Man, you have to watch this thread 24/7 else you can't get a word in edgewise. Oh well, you guys are doing well. Carry on.

Oh one thing, Steve, I think your list of things that should be done is missing an important point, testing. Increased testing needs to occur too.

Just now, niart17 said:

Still doesn't address the fact he said "facing off". Boxers face off against each other at weigh in before a single punch is thrown and sometimes actually hit each other. That's not THE FIGHT, but it's still a punch.

I know what he said, and he again tried to use his service as an appeal to authority.  As if being on a ship in the 80s makes him an expert on political systems.  

To go back to the topic of COVID, it sadly looks like today will be the worst day so far for the US with over 2500 dead with increases in several states.   The latest IHME model projects 60,000 dead by August but with 45000 so far and still at over 2000 a day I don't see how that's feasible.   We are only seeing an increase in the percentage of deaths with testing numbers.  It is up to 5.5%, and if that trend continues we will see at least 1000 dead a day for the next few weeks at least.  

Edited by nspreitler
21 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Oh one thing, Steve, I think your list of things that should be done is missing an important point, testing. Increased testing needs to occur too.

Quite true...good point.  Testing for the virus is good but I think testing to the antibodies is better.  I eagerly await a cheap test checking for antibodies that people can take home and do themselves.

5 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

Huff Post and CNN are a bit over the top. I chuckle at their bold headlines. I like to read everything and come to an educated decision. The truth usually lies somewhere in between the extremes.

LOL... we know the USA is truly going down the drain when CNN is now considered to be "extreme".   Just goes to show how far to the right we've gone under the current junta. 

God help us.

1 hour ago, GW8345 said:

Good war story!  So you were throwing crap at a foreign warship?  Doesn't speak much for the level of discipline in the USN.  I think in any other service, that would be instant Article 15 material.  Even when you see Russian or Chinese warships coming close to one of our ships these days, you don't see their sailors heaving crap at US ships.  Guess they have a bit more self-discipline and professionalism. 

That sucks about the chaff.   Bad stuff, that chaff.  Did you get stuck sweeping it off the flight deck?  

Lastly, you might want to hold off on the REMF usage GW.  In some quarters, the entire USN, aside from SEAL's and pilots may be considered to fit that category.  Just saying....