USS Theodore Roosevelt

Habu can explain the name to you, but he can't understand it for you.

You insist on calling it Chinese Virus to transfer the blame. The Chinese are not responsible for how anyone outside of China handled this.

5 minutes ago, ChernayaAkula said:

Yes, China tried to cover it up. For all the wrong reasons. They should have known better. Eventually, though, word did get out. To the people working in that field, it was obvious where the situation was very likely heading for. That the rest of the world dragged their feet for weeks (months, even) isn't China's fault.

That we should have been prepared (al least have a plan in some drawer, instead of starting from scratch) for an event like this but weren't, isn't China's fault.

The way we're handling things now isn't China's fault.

Take the situation in Germany. That we didn't stockpile enough medical supplies, even though our German CDC recommended it years before, isn't China's fault. That we still held football games, for example, with up to 270,00 people from all across Germany travelling to stadiums all across Germany and back, while we knew there was a highly infectious virus going round, isn't China's fault.That we - although we were apparently managing it comparatively well - are now relaxing the shutdown and take unnecessary risks, isn't at all China's fault.

Yes, China messed it up first. But the response of almost everybody else wasn't much better. There's plenty of blame to go around. I hope the right people will be held responsible (not that I'm holding my breath, obviously). I hope we will learn from this (not holding my breath either, but a little more positive on this one).

Yes, China is responsible for it, they lied, if they had been truthful and upfront about it countries would have reacted differently.

Think of it this way, if your doctor told you smoking was harmless, even though he knew it was, and then you developed lung cancer after smoking for 5 years, wouldn't you be blaming the doc for not telling you the truth and wouldn't have reacted (quit smoking) differently.

As for countries preparing, they were, they were prepared for a regional crisis, not a country wide crisis.

And hind sight is always twenty/twenty.

4 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

<...> Who are you to dictate what people say, what people write, do you understand the concept of FREE SPEECH or are you one of those who wants to control what people think, say and see, just like communist do?

He's not dictating. He's using his free speech. 😉 

You know, I’m getting real tired of comments on here like “Get back to me when you’ve served on an aircraft carrier” or “get back to me when you’ve gone to war with communists” or “get back to me when you’ve thrown empty 1.5 oz shells at a 3000 ton frigate”.  Such comments bring nothing to the discussion and are divisive and only meant to antagonize.  And they don’t contribute one thing to the conversation.

ARCers are always forthcoming to thank active and veteran military personnel for their service on this site.  I’ve done it several times just in this thread.  How about showing some of that respect back to the rest of us?

Tell you what.  Get back to me when you’ve spent 10 hours a day, 60+ hours a week for weeks on end in a hospital overflowing with patients infected with COVID-19.  Get back to me when you’ve held the virus in your gloved hand.  Get back to me when you’ve been forced to wear the same mask for three and four days because that’s all you’ve got.  Get back to me when you’ve looked a patient in the face and seen the vacant stare of someone dying from this virus.  Get back to me when you’ve had to move to the side of the hall when another gurney goes by on the way to the morgue.

Virtually all of these patients didn’t this virus from the Chinese, they got it from their fellow Americans.  Their co-workers.  Their family members.  The asymptomatic person they passed at the grocery store or sat next to at a restaurant.  And I guaran-damn-tee you the doctors and nurses don’t take into account the ethnicity of a patient, the political views of a patient, nor the favorite TV news station of a patient when they treat them.  They have one focus – saving a HUMAN life.  So keep up your complaining about people who don’t agree with you or think you’re wrong because you have a different viewpoint.  Would you say those derisive antagonistic things to the doctor risking his life to save yours?

1 minute ago, GW8345 said:

Yes, China is responsible for it, they lied, if they had been truthful and upfront about it countries would have reacted differently.

The writing was on the wall for weeks. That large parts of the rest of the world tried to play it down themselves is not China's fault.

1 minute ago, GW8345 said:

<...> As for countries preparing, they were, they were prepared for a regional crisis, not a country wide crisis.

Exactly. They were prepared wrongly. They could have known better.  They should have known better. Pandemics have happened before. They chose not to prepare in an ill-advised attempt to save money. Now they're loosing lives and - incidentally- much more money.

14 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

I don't care what they call it, I'm going to call it what I think it should be called, that is called free speech.

And how many times have we told someone what the proper color of something is, what proper load out is, what the correct markings are, and yet, many still get them wrong.  Do we blast them, tell them to "educate" themselves, call them ignorant?

Hell, I can go down to the Critique forum and find all kinds of thing wrong on models and not one comment on how such and such is wrong.

Who are you to dictate what people say, what people write, do you understand the concept of FREE SPEECH or are you one of those who wants to control what people think, say and see, just like communist do?

Thanks for so accurately describing your hypocrisy.  

When you share your knowledge to help someone with the proper color of something, the proper loadout, the correct markings, people thank you for informing them. They don't say "I don't care what color/load/marking you say it is, I'm going to build it the way I think it should be, that's called free speech"

When I share my knowledge to help someone with the proper name of a virus, you respond  "I don't care what they call it, I'm going to call it what I think it should be called, that is called free speech."

I am not one who wants to control what people think, say and see.

I am one who tries to inform someone who continuously calls someone or something by an incorrect name.

There is a difference between free speech and yelling fire in a movie theater.  You may feel you have the right to spread racist stigmas, but that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

18 minutes ago, habu2 said:

You know, I’m getting real tired of comments on here like “Get back to me when you’ve served on an aircraft carrier” or “get back to me when you’ve gone to war with communists” or “get back to me when you’ve thrown empty 1.5 oz shells at a 3000 ton frigate”.  Such comments bring nothing to the discussion and are divisive and only meant to antagonize.  And they don’t contribute one thing to the conversation.

Neither does telling someone to go "educate" themselves, calling they "ridiculous", calling them "unprofessional"/"undisciplined", insinuating they are a racist because you didn't like what they called something, belittling them. I merely gave back what was directed at me and folks here didn't like a taste of their own medicine.

And I would point out that I didn't initiate any of that, I was merely responding so what's that old saying about glass houses.......oh yea, if you live in a glass house, don't throw stones.

1 minute ago, habu2 said:

Thanks for so accurately describing your hypocrisy.  

When you share your knowledge to help someone with the proper color of something, the proper loadout, the correct markings, people thank you for informing them. They don't say "I don't care what color/load/marking you say it is, I'm going to build it the way I think it should be, that's called free speech"

When I share my knowledge to help someone with the proper name of a virus, you respond  "I don't care what they call it, I'm going to call it what I think it should be called, that is called free speech."

I am not one who wants to control what people think, say and see.

I am one who tries to inform someone who continuously calls someone or something by an incorrect name.

There is a difference between free speech and yelling fire in a movie theater.  You may feel you have the right to spread racist stigmas, but that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

I  provide advice and recommendation, I don't tell modelers what they should do, I answer their questions when they ask what the real thing looked like. If the modeler wants to paint something purple with pink poke-dots that's on them, I don't tell them that their model has to look like this or that, I merely advise and recommend.

You obviously do want to control what people say, I never asked what was the proper name, you posted what it must be called and that anyone who doesn't call it that must educate themselves. Now, if I'd asked you and you told me that would be a different story, but I never asked, you demanded it be called what you wanted it to be called.

As far as the "racist stigmas", who's the one who instantly thinks of a race/ethnicity instead of a country/location when someone calls a virus by where it came from, only a racist does. I would greatly appreciate it if you would kindly stop projecting your racism onto me, like I've said before, I don't view thing through the prism of race like you do.

I didn't TELL anyone they had to call it anything, I simply pointed out the proper name of the virus.

I didn't tell YOU what to call the virus.  You weren't quoted or even referred to by name in my post about the proper name of the virus.

This thread isn't about that massive chip on your shoulder, no matter how hard you try to make it so.

Edited by habu2
clarity

It became racist and discriminatory the moment Americans of Chinese heritage started being discriminated against, berated with bigotry, and hated amongst other Americans who think like yourself Gerry. That's why it's frowned upon.

Quoted directly from the CDC website at   https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html#Coronavirus-Disease-2019-Basics

People in the U.S. may be worried or anxious about friends and relatives who are living in or visiting areas where COVID-19 is spreading. Some people are worried about getting the disease from these people. Fear and anxiety can lead to social stigma, for example, toward people who live in certain parts of the world, people who have traveled internationally, people who were in quarantine, or healthcare professionals.

Stigma is discrimination against an identifiable group of people, a place, or a nation. Stigma is associated with a lack of knowledge about how COVID-19 spreads, a need to blame someone, fears about disease and death, and gossip that spreads rumors and myths.

Stigma hurts everyone by creating more fear or anger toward ordinary people instead of focusing on the disease that is causing the problem.

55 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

And I'm sure you were the most squared away pristine Soldier in the whole USA. You were a straight 4.0 Soldier and never gave the Sgt any problem. In fact, the Sgt never had to correct you, you were the model Soldier for the whole company to emulate and everyone cried when you got out.

I have no regrets on how I served or what I did and if you think I was unprofessional and undisciplined than that's on you because I had a blast doing those things and would do them again (if I was younger) in a heart beat. At that time, the Russian's were our number one enemy and they were responsible for countless American lives, I couldn't give a rat's rear end if I "offended" them let alone scratch their little boat.

LOL..  I did my job.  In today's business world, my review would be summarized as "Met Expectations". Not the best soldier, not the worst.  I had a blast doing my job as well (time tends to minimize the less pleasant memories).  When it was time to go, I moved on with life and spared the world (and ARC) my war stories.   However, if you want to hear stories like yours, I can match you, silly anecdote to silly anecdote, I'm just not going to bore the rest of the folks on this forum.   Come on up to MA when the death virus goes away and we'll swap stories over some beers.  

32 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

<...> As far as the "racist stigmas", who's the one who instantly thinks of a race/ethnicity instead of a country/location when someone calls a virus by where it came from, only a racist does. I would greatly appreciate it if you would kindly stop projecting your racism onto me, like I've said before, I don't view thing through the prism of race like you do.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

33 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

<...> I merely gave back what was directed at me and folks here didn't like a taste of their own medicine. <...>

Awwwww, now who's the snowflake? 😉

Here's what can happen when your only source of information is mainstream media:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/04/americans-are-poisoning-themselves-while-trying-to-kill-the-coronavirus/

You can't cure Stupid.

You CAN cure Ignorant with education, but only if the person WANTS to learn.

Edited by habu2
1 hour ago, GW8345 said:

Telling someone what they can and cannot say is not free speech.

Hilarious, you told me I didn’t have the right to speak a few weeks ago.

And I have been on a carrier, the USS Ronald Reagan during her work-ups. The Captain’s chair had a blue cover stitched by Nancy Reagan. She also stitched his initials in yellow into the cover. I was invited to sit in this chair. And yes I have a picture. Did you ever sit in the Captain’s chair?

You must have had a strong arm to throw a spent cartridge 50 ft at a Russian ship from the deck of a carrier. I bet Tom Brady couldn’t even do that in the blowing wind.

On 4/19/2020 at 4:34 PM, SBARC said:

Just a quick note asking that everyone remember this is ARC....try to be more civil.....we are ALL on the same team here.

It saddens me when I see how this place has changed over the years.

So.

What part of this did any of you knotheads NOT understand.
You aren't trying to be civil. You're squabbling.
None of you is changing the mind of any of the others.

This pointless bickering.
It's completely off the original topic.
It's the same core group at each other over and over. 
And it's done.
Knock it off.

Al P.
ARC Moderation Team