Hasegawa 1/48 A-4 Blue Angels release

On 4/10/2020 at 7:21 AM, Tailspin Turtle said:

However, I’m not sure that the flange is unique to the Super Fox: https://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2016/08/a4d-skyhawk-one-more-time.html

Yes - I checked my TA-4J pictures and saw some of them had this flange as well even though they were never upengined. There doesn't seem to be any pattern as to when or if they got the flange either. If A-4F's got the flange as part of the engine upgrade (and every certain A-4F+ I've seen has the flange), then at least we can say an aircraft without the flange is not a Super Fox. There is nothing about the antennas or cooling intakes or vents that indicate what variety of A-4 it is as far as I could see except for the fin-tip ECM, but not every upengined A-4F got (or kept) that.

I'm now thinking that more than a few models of A-4F's out there incorrectly have the narrower intakes. If it's before 1972, it's got narrow intakes. If it has a hot dog, it's got wide intakes. Anything else, you better hope there are clear photographs.