Good Airbrush to Replace my Aztec

I think I will finally make the plunge to a new Airbrush and make the break from my Aztec, which I have been using forever.

I’m looking at the Iwata Eclipse HP-CS.

I’m told I can’t go wrong with the Iwata Neo BCN.

Any recommendations?

Get the Eclipse. I've heard that the Neo's are a cheaper quality airbrush. I have an Eclipse with the side feed (wish now I had gotten the gravity feed) and it is a real workhorse. Relatively easy to clean, well made, performs well. I use it mostly for airbrushing clear coats, some metallics and other times when I just want to cover a lot of area. I have an H&S Infinity that I use for more detailed airbrushing and an old Paasche siphon feed that I use for primers and thick stuff.

If I get another airbrush, it will probably be an Eclipse HP-CS. I just like the line.

Depending on how much want to spend the Sparmax DH series are good quality for 1/2 to 1/3 the price of Iwata. Spare parts are reasonable as well Unlike Iwata which are horrendously expensive) .

I have a Sparmax DH -103 (0.3mm) and a Iwata HP B Plus (0.2mm) and I use DH 103 for 95% of my modelling. 

24 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Get the Eclipse. I've heard that the Neo's are a cheaper quality airbrush. I have an Eclipse with the side feed (wish now I had gotten the gravity feed) and it is a real workhorse. Relatively easy to clean, well made, performs well. I use it mostly for airbrushing clear coats, some metallics and other times when I just want to cover a lot of area. I have an H&S Infinity that I use for more detailed airbrushing and an old Paasche siphon feed that I use for primers and thick stuff.

If I get another airbrush, it will probably be an Eclipse HP-CS. I just like the line.

I’m leaning towards the Eclipse, done a lot of reading on it. Thanks for the reply.

22 minutes ago, a4s4eva said:

Depending on how much want to spend the Sparmax DH series are good quality for 1/2 to 1/3 the price of Iwata. Spare parts are reasonable as well Unlike Iwata which are horrendously expensive) .

I have a Sparmax DH -103 (0.3mm) and a Iwata HP B Plus (0.2mm) and I use DH 103 for 95% of my modelling. 

And thank-you for this, the local airbrush store has these products too. I will read up on them

Currently the shops are closed in Canada but they have set-up curbside pick-up.

Another vote for Iwata.  I've used the eclipse, Hp-C and the neo(it's a nice little gun if you practice with it).  My fav is the 'b' tho...Hp-b plus I think it is...it's great for overall coverage n fine detail.  Been using them for years and other than operator error I've had zero issues/complaints

I was fortunate.  I picked up my Eclipse HP-CS back when hobby lobby was still extending the 40% discounts for airbrushes.  Parts, still seem to be available for that discount, so it is possible that pricing for long term maintenance can be less pricey than others (depending on how close one may be to hobby lobby).

I really like the ease of disassembly of the eclipse, helping the cleaning immensely.  The cone shaped nozzle (assembly) makes cross threading the nozzle virtually impossible (when compared to my Neo CN).  

I went through a bunch of Badger airbrushes, and while they were good, I finally bought an Iwata Eclipse HP-C about 5 years ago.

Needless to say, I don't use any of the Badger's anymore. The Eclipse is a good all-around airbrush. If you're doing fine work, you might end up needing something else.

Best regards,

Chad

If I were you, I'd consider the GSI Creos Mr. Airbrush Procon Boy PS-270 (0.2mm) Platinum or the PS-289 (0.3mm) Platinum.  The same brush, just different size needles.  $110.00 each from Spraygunner.  I've had all kinds of airbrushes. and I'm really happy with these, especially for the price, and both of them have a built-in MAC valve.

22 hours ago, a4s4eva said:

What kind of seals are in the DH I spray mostly solvent based paints...Thank You

1 hour ago, Curt B said:

If I were you, I'd consider the GSI Creos Mr. Airbrush Procon Boy PS-270 (0.2mm) Platinum or the PS-289 (0.3mm) Platinum.  The same brush, just different size needles.  $110.00 each from Spraygunner.  I've had all kinds of airbrushes. and I'm really happy with these, especially for the price, and both of them have a built-in MAC valve.

I love my GSI Airbrush , bought the 770 for detail work. It is awesome!!!! If you buy one of the GSI offerings you'll have a top of the line Airbrush at a Great Price. I need a dedicated airbrush for metallic colors and I'm considering the 289 but for what I want to do it's on the high end of my price range so I may go with the Sparmax DH102 or 103 cause they are really inexpensive and seem to be really good quality ..In my research I just read that Sparmax are now part of the same company as Anset Iwata. Now check this one of the Airbrush Artist  I follow on Facebook loves his Sparmax SP-20 said it's one of his go to tools over some of his Iwata's and other supposed High End Airbrushes...I'm just not sure if the DH series have Teflon seals or not. If I knew  they did I'd pull the trigger tonight. Now I was not trying to stay on a cheap 75.00 and under budget I'd buy the 270 or 289 in a heartbeat!

39 minutes ago, viper730 said:

I love my GSI Airbrush , bought the 770 for detail work. It is awesome!!!! If you buy one of the GSI offerings you'll have a top of the line Airbrush at a Great Price. I need a dedicated airbrush for metallic colors and I'm considering the 289 but for what I want to do it's on the high end of my price range so I may go with the Sparmax DH102 or 103 cause they are really ineGSI xpensive and seem to be really good quality ..In my research I just read that Sparmax are now part of the same company as Anset Iwata. Now check this one of the Airbrush Artist  I follow on Facebook loves his Sparmax SP-20 said it's one of his go to tools over some of his Iwata's and other supposed High End Airbrushes...I'm just not sure if the DH series have Teflon seals or not. If I knew  they did I'd pull the trigger tonight. Now I was not trying to stay on a cheap 75.00 and under budget I'd buy the 270 or 289 in a heartbeat!

I have the 770 also, but I have yet to use it.  I went on an airbrush buying frenzy, and I now have an Iwata HP-C Plus, a Harder & Steenbeck Infinity, and an H&S Evolution, an Iwata HP-M2, two GSI PS-270s and a GSI PS-289 in addition to the 770, and the brush that i still use 99% of the time, a Paasche Model H.  The Paasche is the simplest of the bunch, a single action, terribly crude airbrush, but the simplicity means it is ridiculously easy to clean, a factor of which I am fanatical about.  Why I have all these other airbrushes i don't use, I have no idea.  Well, actually, I DO know why this is the case.  I love having high end equipment, in all things.  This goes for camera equipment, musical instruments, etc., of which I own much very costly stuff.  The airbrushes, though, frankly, terrify me  I am afraid of messing them up by not being able to clean them correctly, and to get the dirty and marred by paint.  I hate the thought of taking  $300+ airbrush and ruining its perfect finish and beautiful design.  Is it insane to have spent as much as i have and then not use these tools?  Yep, no doubt. 

I've just started to use one of the PS--270s, and it's great, but for just about everything, the Paasche is fine.  It's not elegant, it's just a brute force tool, but it works fine. Outside of doing rarely done painting activities, such as mottling WWII German Bf-109s, the Paasche is perfectly fine, and it's the absolute cheapest of any of the other brushes I listed, maybe $65 if you look around a bit.   Actually, i have a friend who uses his Paasche H to do that mottling I mentioned, even in 1/72 scale.  So, it can be done.  I'm not sure how he does it.  One day I need to find out, though, because i don't ever want to have to actually use one of my super fine detail airbrushes (the H&S Infinity or the GSI-770).

Edited by Curt B

I just started airbrushing last fall(been using Tamiya spray cans) a friend sold me an Iwata at a good price and I love it. Easy to clean, built like a tank and on the plus side we have an arts store that stocks all the Iwata brush's and parts here in town.

Don

I like the Iwata HP-SB+.   It's side mount allows for both gravity feed or siphon feed, and like most of the other Iwata's, it's easy to clean.  I got mine years ago with a Hobby Lobby 50% off coupon.

Ed

4 hours ago, Curt B said:

2 hours ago, viper730 said:

I love my GSI Airbrush , bought the 770 for detail work. It is awesome!!!! If you buy one of the GSI offerings you'll have a top of the line Airbrush at a Great Price. I need a dedicated airbrush for metallic colors and I'm considering the 289 but for what I want to do it's on the high end of my price range so I may go with the Sparmax DH102 or 103 cause they are really inexpensive and seem to be really good quality ..In my research I just read that Sparmax are now part of the same company as Anset Iwata. Now check this one of the Airbrush Artist  I follow on Facebook loves his Sparmax SP-20 said it's one of his go to tools over some of his Iwata's and other supposed High End Airbrushes...I'm just not sure if the DH series have Teflon seals or not. If I knew  they did I'd pull the trigger tonight. Now I was not trying to stay on a cheap 75.00 and under budget I'd buy the 270 or 289 in a heartbeat!

The GSI Procon Boy PS270 is what I use.  Absolutely love this airbrush.  I have the Eclipse HP-C as well but find myself reaching for the Procon Boy every time.  I just prefer it, even though the Iwata is a great brush as well.

On 4/7/2020 at 9:59 PM, Scooby said:

I think I will finally make the plunge to a new Airbrush and make the break from my Aztec, which I have been using forever.

I’m looking at the Iwata Eclipse HP-CS.

Any recommendations?

About 18 months ago I took a nasty fall on a fishing trip. Got up and laughed IT off as if nothing happened. Got up the next day and my right hand was literally frozen shut. Had been using the Iwata HP-CS. After a couple months I got most of the movement back, but still had a mess up grip (still do). I can only hold the Eclipse for about ten or twelve minutes. I bought the NEO pistol grip, and I can use it for a solid hour if I have to. Still like the Eclipse better. Build quality is excellent for both, but the eclipse has a better range of needles and tips. I use an Iwata Silent Air compressor with no problems on either brush. Went so far as to but the Iwata quick detachment hose ends and the inline air drier. If you buy the HP-CS, be sure to get the one with the .3 tip. I use a .5 and a .3. The Neo came with a .35 tip. Not as wide a range with parts in the Neo series, but plenty enough for most folks

gary

On 4/7/2020 at 10:45 PM, Scooby said:

I’m leaning towards the Eclipse, done a lot of reading on it. Thanks for the reply.

honestly, the only complaint I have about the Neo is the trigger. I wish it had a lighter pull. It seems to spray very well. Use your 40% coupon at Hobby Lobby

gary 

7 hours ago, TheRealMrEd said:

I like the Iwata HP-SB+.   It's side mount allows for both gravity feed or siphon feed, and like most of the other Iwata's, it's easy to clean.  I got mine years ago with a Hobby Lobby 50% off coupon.

Ed

This is the one I have too. One neat thing is that I was able to modify one of the larger size paint bottle caps (the bottle was a part of a set for use with the airbrush bought separately) with a siphon feed that I can screw directly onto an Alclad bottle. Makes spraying Alclad very easy. Shake bottle well, apply siphon cap, spray. 

9 hours ago, DONG said:

I just started airbrushing last fall(been using Tamiya spray cans) a friend sold me an Iwata at a good price and I love it. Easy to clean, built like a tank and on the plus side we have an arts store that stocks all the Iwata brush's and parts here in town.

Don

Yes, another point to make...don't discount the ease of being able to easily find spare parts for whatever your airbrush of choice may be.  That's important, because at some point, you WILL need parts, primarily a new needle every now and then, and seals.  Probably not a bad idea to go through the parts list when you buy whatever you decide upon, and buy several needles and seals when you buy the brush, and pick out a few other items like the paint nozzle and possibly even the air valve, just in case.  Also, most companies have a protective nozzle that mostly covers the tip of the needle, but still blows easy access to it to allow for simple cleaning/wiping in the event of the dreaded 'tip dry'.  It never hurts to be prepared!!

3 hours ago, Curt B said:

Probably not a bad idea to go through the parts list when you buy whatever you decide upon, and buy several needles and seals when you buy the brush

I use to do this with the needles til I found a tool called sharpenair. I ding my needles all the time sometimes pretty badly. It is a Money saver for sure, VERY HIGHLY Recommended.  You can see it here. It comes is several colors not just orange. https://spraygunner.com/sharpenair-spraygunner-orange-edition/

1 hour ago, viper730 said:

I use to do this with the needles til I found a tool called sharpenair. I ding my needles all the time sometimes pretty badly. It is a Money saver for sure, VERY HIGHLY Recommended.  You can see it here. It comes is several colors not just orange. https://spraygunner.com/sharpenair-spraygunner-orange-edition/

You find that this really works??  I'm always suspicious of tools such as this, kind of like selling snake oil...

Also, I read in the description on the Spraygunner site (your link) that they talk about 'bent needles', but don't discuss flattened or needles with damaged tips.  I presume that this is just semantics?  If you have a needle with, say a 'flattened' tip, such as from running a tip into a hard flat surface, this tool is designed to address that as well, not just 'bent' needles? 

Edited by Curt B

Take a look at the video here also there are several independent reviews on youtube. You should check them out. I like it is all I can say. So for 45.00 it was worth it. I think thats about the cost of 2 needles with shipping...I bend at least one a month.

Edited by viper730

So much great info in here, I decided on the Eclipse HP-CS. I Pick it up tomorrow! Curbside pick-up at the local airbrush store!

I appreciate all the replies, I considered every suggestion, I may even purchase a second airbrush.

On 4/8/2020 at 11:59 AM, Scooby said:

I’m looking at the Iwata Eclipse HP-CS

Any recommendations?

I replaced my Aztec with the HP-CP.  Like chalk & cheese, the Iwata is so much easier to use & clean.  A much much more consistent airbrush.

But still not fool-proof.  I find different colours of paint spray better or worse.  I mostly use Tamiya acrylics with either Tamiya Acrylic thinner,  Tamiya lacquer thinner,  or lately Mr Color Leveling thinner.  The performance can very a lot depending on the colour/thinner combination, but even at its worst, it is better than the Aztec.

Sometimes I use enamels (Testors/Model Master) and find they spray much more consistently than acrylics.