Help with preparing model for paint

First off, I want to say that I’m a bit new to painting and gluing models. Everything is coming along well except for one part: paint adhesion on one small part of my fa-18e Super Hornet. Paint keeps sliding off of the surface when painting. 

I know that you should prime a surface prior to painting, although I have read people have painted their models successfully without it by just washing their plastic model parts with warm water and mild dish detergent first. I have avoiding priming due to the fact that I’m trying to avoid any fumes or VOC’s due to animals in the home with delicate lungs. So I would rather avoid priming or clear coating. I use all non toxic, no fume acrylic paints for this very reason. Again, no problems until this tiny little piece came up. 

Can I somehow remove the shine so my paint can adhere better without priming? Like sanding with a particular grit sanding film, for instance. It’s just this one little piece giving me this trouble. 

I know many here would probably find a lot of issues with my process of not using primer or clear coats. I’m open to learning more about them if need be. I apologize if that opens this thread up to additional questions due to this. 

Thank you in advance. 

Hi Historybuff,

Let me start off by sating welcome! Lots of friendly faces (members) around here and tons of resources available to assist you.

Secondly this is actually an archive area. It's where old threads are sent after they take up too much space. In order to properly get your questions or requests answered put this up in the Tools'n Tips sub-forum. 

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/forum/12-tools-39n39-tips/

• 1 year later...