airliner wheel wells

Hi Ronald,

Your best bet would be a google image search. If you can’t find what you’re looking for, light grey would be a safe bet. That seems to be the universal color for airliner wheels, gear struts, and doors.

Ben

all the airliners I have worked on were painted white....buuuuttt Boeing has them sprayed with corrosion preventing compound. which looks like an oil leak. add to that actual oil/hydraulic leaks and you get a very sloppy looking gear well. on a model I would put a dirty brown wash over the white.

I can take some pictures tomorrow when I am back to work.

as Ben said struts, doors and wheels vary between grey and white.

did you want shots of the wheel wells or just the wheels?

anyway here is a couple of shots, 767 and 757

this is the left wheel well of a 757 looking forward. it is painted white, but the cpc looks like a big oil leak. it gets touched up occasionally and you can see some sprayed on the door actuator

20200410_133345-XL.jpg

this is the right well

20200410_133330-XL.jpg

757 nose

20200410_133525-X3.jpg

here is a 767 main well. it is a bit cleaner than the 57, this one is recently out of a heavy check

20200410_134332-XL.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Those 757 wheel-wells are nice and clean. On a 737, where they're closer to the ground and all the wonderful grim and fluids getting splashed in there, they turn almost black within a week of two of delivery. Even after a heavy washing, they still look terrible. Thanks to Covid, I'm unable to snap you a reference pic, but as far as 737s go, you really can't make them too dirty. Wheel hubs, and underside of gear doors get covered with a sticky layer of grim/soot and stay that way.

Ronald you can get some decent shots on Airliners.net, it's usually my first go-to around the same time as a tried and true Google image search.

I did a search on Airliners.net for 'wheel wells' and a handful of good shots similar to the excellent ones posted above came up on the first page. Click this link to go straight that search page 👍

Cheers.

13 hours ago, Dutch said:

Dylan,  Beautiful reference photos!  You're my "Go To Man" for airliners now!  K/r, Dutch

whatever you need, just ask. I currently work on 757/767 but I can get most likely get  access to a bunch more

• 2 weeks later...

dylan those are so nice. Well the photos not the wheel wells 😀. I think for most of us, unless you are looking into the wheel wells on our models a simple wash as you say should be good enough.

• 4 weeks later...