ARC Discussion Forums

Sign in to follow this  
CF104

AKAN acrylic paints drying out in unopened bottle

Hello All,

I am having a problem with some of my AKAN acrylics paint. Out of 45 bottles of various colours, 11 of them have completely dried out. I found this out when setting up to paint some FS36440 onto my Tamiya Tomcat and found the unopened bottle completely dried out. Some of my previously opened bottles have dried out but these 11 bottles were sealed and unopened.

Has anyone here experienced the same thing? Could freezing during shipping affect these acrylics?

All of my AKAN paints were purchased through Hobby Colours. I will be ordering replacements as I love their colour selection and the way they airbrush.

Cheers,

John

I hope you had a bad batch. I have a bunch in my stash for later projects, and it would be an expensive fix to replace them all.

I'm hoping it was a bad batch myself. The remainder of my unopened AKAN paints appear to be fine.

Cheers,

John

I'm going to go check.....

Yes, I had the same happen on basically all my water based acrylic bottles - although I have to add that these were from very early batches. About 5 years or so ago I switched completely over to their acrylic lacquers, and I'm happy to say that none of those have dried out yet.

Nope, none of my bottles have dried out....

I just went through my drawer of paints: Every single one of my AKAN acrylic bottles have dried out: Both the ones that I have used and the unopened ones. As I said, these were all from early batches.

I also have AKAN enamels (8 series), from about the same time: Also all dried up.

Most of my collection of AKAN paints are, however, acrylic lacquers (6 series), which I started buying as soon as those became available: Those bottles are all perfectly fine - new ones, old ones, used ones and unopened ones.

I wonder if it was a packaging problem on earlier batches of AKAN paints? Possibly imperfect seals?

Posted (edited)

Same thing with all my AKAN water based paints, all dried to a sledge,  most bottles unopened. Add some Tamiya X-20A thinner and let it stand for a while, the paint will thin back out and be usable again. I bought mine at least ten years ago and was finally going to use them on the new Arma Yak-1b

Edited by Chuck1945

On 4/12/2020 at 12:16 AM, Chuck1945 said:

Same thing with all my AKAN water based paints, all dried to a sledge,  most bottles unopened. Add some Tamiya X-20A thinner and let it stand for a while, the paint will thin back out and be usable again. I bought mine at least ten years ago and was finally going to use them on the new Arma Yak-1b

Thanks for the tip. As I said, I switched to the acrylic lacquer based version, but it would be a shame to throw the water based ones away. I'll give it a try.