Bought my 1st Airfix P-51

As per the title says I finally went ahead and bought my first 1/48 Airfix P-51D. I am fully aware of the pros of the Eduard kit but it's just TOO nice for me to pick up now and ruin once building begins. I haven't touched a P-51 kit since my feeble attempts at the Monogram "Big Beautiful Doll" as a kid 25 years ago or so.

Anyway I bought several of the fillet and filletless versions. I have seen tons of simply amazing builds and have tried reading up as much as I can on these babies. My question is though what else should I get for them to just make a really nice model. Not trying to be wholly 100% accurate nor am I trying to go completely OOB. I just want a nice model that is reasonably accurate. My opinion on AM is that there is too many manufacturers to choose from on parts and I am to impatient to figure out who's better than who. I think I've read the Airfix needs new exhausts, wheels, and prop? I'd like to use a nice instrument panel instead of painting it. Is the seat good and maybe just needs belts or should I put a new one in? Does anyone make good pilots? (I want to do at least 1 in flight model). Any suggestions?

I bought 2 Eaglecals sheets and will be doing Don Bochkay's 357th FG "Ace of Clubs" and Charles Weaver's "Passion Wagon". I also bought Bullseye's Yoxford Boys #4 so I can do Bochkay's OD green P-51D (will try my hand at a P-51C with "Speedball Alice" on it later.)

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

bma48012.jpg

Edited by Whiskey

My thoughts on building the Airfix P-51.   OK, the Eduard kit is much better details wise, however the Airfix will look great built and you'll find it a good experience.  My thoughts:  On the instrument panel, before you go out and buy a ton of aftermarket, paint up your instrument panel an off black (black with a few drops of white) and apply the kits instrument panel decal using a lot of decal softener.   The results may surprise you and it will be acceptable.  The kits interior will look good built just as it it is.  I did replace the seat with an ultracast seat.  On mine i did not replace the prop, exhaust or wheels as I felt that on my self it would look acceptable and it does.  If you have several of the Airfix kits, build one almost straight from the box and learn to build the kit (find any problem areas etc) and see what you think.  Then from there purchase what you really think is necessary.  Personally on aftermarket I like all of Baracuda Studios products for this kit.   I am not a fan of etched metal instrument panels act.   The Eduard resin is also very nice.  As mentioned I also like the Ultracast products.    

Having built 4 Airfix Mustangs to date, I'm of the opinion that the only thing that it may need are decals to do other schemes.  I'll echo aircal's suggestion to build the first one OOB, and then see what you may want to do differently in the future.  You may find that you're happy with what is supplied.

A couple of simple improvements are the side braces on the seat and the canopy cross-frame. Both are significantly over thick; the latter can also be easily drilled out. Also, some wire atop the battery and radio improves the look.

Thank you all for the pointers. This will be a really fun time as I've avoided WWII kits since I was a kid and I am truly looking forward to it.

Question, why are there several different AM manufacturers producing several different set of control surfaces for the Airfix kit? I've seen 3 or 4 I believe and that vary in parts and detail. Are the kit flaps, elevators, and rudder not good enough?

Having just finished mine, I echo the comments above. No real need for aftermarket.  Most of the cockpit is not visible, if you put a pilot in there.  If you are looking for pilots check out PJ Productions.  Just note that they will probably take some adjusting to get in to the cockpit.  The Mustang cockpit isn't exactly roomy. 

https://www.pj-production.be/en/

Your post is a bit confusing. You don’t want to get the Eduard kit because you don’t want to ruin it so you get an Airfix kit or kits? And a bunch aftermarket stuff for them? The aftermarket parts can’t be more of a challenge than kit parts can be. 
I’d say build the first one OOB, test and gauge your skills and go from there. 

My post ain't confusing. I asked about a few things that could help the kit shine a bit more. Not trying to blow everything on aftermarket and trying to keep any aftermarket to simple additions. If I wanted to really change the kit then yes I'd just get the Eduard.

Besides AM decals for the markings I wanted, the only other AM I got were those Eduard Brassin exhausts for the Airfix kit. Beside the part thinning I mentioned above, I worked on the tires. My specific aircraft needed the hexagonal tread design. I didn't happen to have any available, so I just used my JLC to finish off the diamond tread pattern of the Airfix plastic.

Overall, I'm quite happy with the result! Better still, the kit is a bargain ($23 @ Sprue), even with the AM exhausts ($7.50 @ Sprue) and CAM decals.

I now have 2 Mustangs in the display cabinet (this plus Tamiya's RAF III) and 2 Mustangs in the stash. I will bash the Accurate Miniatures RAF MK-1A Mustang as NA-73X and build Tamiya's P-51D as a Tuskegee aircraft.