Korean War era Marines Bell 47D colors

After consulting three reference books (I can recommend "The Bell 47 Story" by Pertite and Evans), the Korean War Es were the same flat OD inside as out. Green seat cushions.

I don't know if post war they were painted the later gloss OD like other Army ships of the period. Many Es were surplused in the late 50s since the Army had later models available.

Now, the interior green won't be true of later ships, which were gloss OD (Gs, Hs) or Vietnam war color (Ss) seemed to be gray inside, as were the Orange TH-13Ts 

Sorry, I missed the rather important word "Marines". 

🙂

It would be interesting to know if they just remained already built (or used already painted cabins originally laid down) for the Army...in which case they might be the same as Army ships.

Barring that, you could try interior green or black, unless someone tells you different, either would be a good guess.

In looking through my books, it sure looked like the interior of civil aircraft were black. Of course with a "D"...although our the added hump in the door opening, you don't see a lot of the side walls.

Some were re purposed Army aircraft I think but most I believe were built for the Marines. True about not seeing side walls on a D but the floor and rear wall are very visible. I saw a D for some other country that was a similar blue to Sea Blue and the interior was exterior color. I think I will do that with flat black instrument panel and maybe either a od seat or dark brown perhaps.

Yes. The junction box is mounted rather high in the center.

Also, don't forget the shoulder harnesses for the outboard seats.

After looking at the Army TM diagrams, I also see a soft (canvas) data case for or logs and TMs on the front of the left seat (in back of the pilot's knees).

And depending what scale you are doing...I'm guessing the MRC 1/35th...there is a small Grimes light on the floor console. And if you're God at glueing something the scale size of a pin, there is a compass on the door frame at the same level as the panel.

Yes. The junction box is mounted rather high in the center.

Also, don't forget the shoulder harnesses for the outboard seats.

After looking at the Army TM diagrams, I also see a soft (canvas) data case for or logs and TMs on the front of the left seat (in back of the pilot's knees). I'm guessing it would be about 15" x10".

And depending what scale you are doing...I'm guessing the MRC 1/35th...there is a small Grimes light on the floor console. And if you're good at glueing something the scale size of a pinhead, there is a compass on the left forward door frame at the same level as the panel. Also, the TM indicates a pitot tube on the forward bottom center of the cabin.

Edited by JohnEB
Add details
4 hours ago, midnightprowler said:

Don't happen to have photos do you?

The manual is largely simple  Bell engineering-type diagrams, so no photos or any idea of colors. I also checked my illustrated parts book.

I'll email you a shot of the most applicable drawing.

Edited by JohnEB

I'd think the interior of a Marine HTL-4 ( what the Navy called them) would be 'interior gray'. There are a few color pictured out there;  https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Navy/Bell-HTL-4-47/344027  is an early one, gloss blue and gray interior.  Here's a Sikorsky HOSS  in gloss blue and gray: https://www.airspacemag.com/military-aviation/rotary-rescue-124602632/

download.jpg

Edited by jstar

Thanks guys. The HT-L4 there seems to be a earlier bird than the MRC kit, the black and white photos in the  us marines helicopters book seem to show dark exterior and interior si I think I will go with the gloss sea blue exterior and flat sea blue interior with black seat and instrument panel.

10 hours ago, JohnEB said:

The manual is largely simple  Bell engineering-type diagrams, so no photos or any idea of colors. I also checked my illustrated parts book.

I'll email you a shot of the most applicable drawing.

That's a cool manual. I'd love to get my grubby paws on one. The 47 and Huey are my favorite helicopters.

33 minutes ago, midnightprowler said:

Thanks guys. The HT-L4 there seems to be a earlier bird than the MRC kit, the black and white photos in the  us marines helicopters book seem to show dark exterior and interior si I think I will go with the gloss sea blue exterior and flat sea blue interior with black seat and instrument panel.

👍 I don’t think many could prove otherwise. Didn’t study it too well but it appears the markings went from white to black at some point on the canopy.

22 minutes ago, JohnEB said:

White to black?

Are you referring to the sun shade of something else?

First link, page 26. WB-28 on the canopy appears to be black maybe red but not white.