1/72 Revell PT-17 as an N3N-3?

I am considering converting a 1/72 Revell Stearman PT-17 into an US Navy N3N.

Reading into the trainer a little and seeing photos on lines of various N3N’s online, What needs to be altered? 

horizontal stab needs to be larger

undercarriage different

As something extra I am interested in the use of the N3N with post-1945 stars and bars which would look a bit different for a model! 

I've looked at using the 1/48 PT-17 for an N2S. The different engine, particularly the forward exhaust collector, is a very prominent difference. Looking at the contemporaneous Wikipedia photos, the N3N also has an exhaust collector forward of the engine cylinders.

BTW, this page has some specific airframe comparisons between the N3N and N2S.

If you want to do a 1/72 N3N, there are a couple kits available so you wouldn't need to convert.  There is an old vac from Esoteric (NAF-something or other) that can be built as an N3N-1 or N3N-3, with a choice of wheels or floats.  It included decals for one of the post-WWII versions with the red bar in the insignias.  The other is a resin kit, that I think comes in 2 versions; one with wheels and one with floats.  I don't recall the company the made the kit offhand, or what decals it includes, but they're not hard to find on eBay. If you do't want to go either of those routes, your next best option would be to scratchbuild, because that is what trying to convert a Stearman into an N3N will end up as.  There are no common parts between the 2 airplane (well, maybe the props); the wings are longer and narrower, the tail is different, the whole fuselage is different.  They look similar, but are very different airplanes overall.

On 4/12/2020 at 5:48 AM, phat trev said:

Does anyone know if PT-17s were used post-WW2 for the USAF (in any capacity?) of course it would be well out of date by then...

For some reason, I think the type wasn't "officially" retired until post-1947. ..though after checking 6 books, have been unable to confirm that.

However, I've never seen a photo with the USAF post independence   "stars and bars". *

If a couple did survive post 1947, I have a hunch they were used as mosquito sprayers/dusters...a handful were converted during the war for both the Army and the Navy (one Army designation was PT-13B).

I've seen  wartime photos of an Army ship in Italy and a Navy aircraft in Puerto  Rico dusting.

If anyone knows different, I'd be pleased to learn more.

*A similar situation occurs with the Cessna UC-78/AT-17...it wasn't declared surplus until 1949, but again, I've never seen a photo of one in USAF markings.

Edited by JohnEB
Add info.