CD48183 - 1/48 USAAF Mosquitoes

Nice!  Wouldn't have expected this.  I have a Tamiya kit that I've wanted to build as US flown for a long while now. Also the Airfix kit with the blue recce scheme.

Where all the US Mosquitos Recce or were there night fighters too?

Edited by dmk0210

There were some black USAAF Mosquitoes used as part of Operation Carpetbagger special operations.  They flew Red Stocking missions, which were evening and night missions over Germany to receive scheduled reports from agents.  They were PR.XVI Mosquitoes and they were assigned to the 492d Bomb Group (the Operation Carpetbagger group), and carried the long range wing tanks.

Few photos:

http://www.ossreborn.com/files/Issue132.pdf (pg 6)

https://harringtonmuseum.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Mossie-TA614-R.jpg

Chris

20 hours ago, dmk0210 said:

Nice!  Wouldn't have expected this.  I have a Tamiya kit that I've wanted to build as US flown for a long while now. Also the Airfix kit with the blue recce scheme.

Where all the US Mosquitos Recce or were there night fighters too?

The NF.30 was flown by one of the USAAF night fighter squadrons.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This subject really was somewhat outside my comfort zone - but I hope you will like and it may lead to more WWII subjects from Caracal. Part of the December batch, although the decals are here and I might start offering it a bit early when the instructions are ready.

cd48183profiles.jpg

Edited by KursadA

Most of the aircraft on the sheet are PR. Mk XVIs, as this seems to be the most common type operated by the US - I tried to include a variety of markings and interesting subjects, such as overall gloss black Red Stocking/"Joan-Eleanor" equipped aircraft that helped OSS operations.  You will need a two-stage Merlin conversion for your Tamiya kits - I am not sure which one is the best, but there are several of them in the market from companies like Brengun, CMK, etc.  

I just used the Brengun 2-stage Merlin’s on a Tamiya Kit. They are highly recommended. 

I’m torn on doing a US PR or UK PR using the Airfix 2-stage Merlin kit. 

And I thought I was reducing my stash 😕

Collin

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, KursadA said:

I believe some camera ports need to be added as well - CMK has a complete conversion kit (which can still be found at some retailers) and the instructions show the addition of the camera ports.

Thanks Kursad 👍🏻
I was able to track one down and it’s on its way.

Edited by Falconxlvi
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick question regarding the canopy assemblies on the PR XVI for the Mosquito experts- 

The CMK Conversion set I received for the PR XVI comes with a vaccuform insert for the roof panel that has a very bulbous viewing port.  Period photos show some USAAF PR XVIs fitted with this and others don’t - is there any rhyme or reason to this?  Sure seems like any excuse for using the Tamiya kit canopy would be awesome 😂

As an aside, the rest of the CMK set is beautiful!  I’ve read the nacelles are a bit too narrow compared to the kit mounts but the castings I’ve seen in reviews are a cream colored resin.  The set I have os cast in very nice dark grey resin and looks far better than any CMK set I’ve purchased.  The cockpit details are amazing actually.   I’m hopeful they tweaked the set to make it fit a bit better, but that’s also probably wishful thinking 🤔 

Looking forward to these decals!

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, eraucubsfan said:

Is the USAF Museum’s Mossie considered to be accurate? I want to do that one.

Yes, they have a world class staff that prides itself on accuracy. 

Anyone want photos from the display?