*FINISHED!* Heller Aerospatiale Alouette II in 1/100

Hello,

I've had this model in my stash for over 25 years.  I don't even recall how I got it.  I'm sure my good friend Carlos R. had something to do with it.   I've never seen a built one. I think I know why. It is pretty crude (an understatement),  instructions are a JOKE and it is... well, very SMALL!  Since I'm a masochist, here we go.

2v2Hp7NnSxJ21ND.jpg

This is a couple of hours of work so far...  Sanded those braces a bit but still overly thick.
2v2HpAb8GxJ21ND.jpg

If this was an important subject, it would be a good candidate for a complete scratchbuilt.  But I'll leave that effort for something else.  I'll just have some fun with this.

Thanks,

Edited by ismaelg

I have a similar (but possibly smaller) Heller kit, though mine has a clear plastic tailboom...I guess you're supposed to paint the raised tube segments.

I've been thinking about building it, anyone know the interior colors for a civil ship?

Hello,

John, from what I've seen online some civil versions are mostly  dark grey (or maybe black) interior with seats usually of different color.

I machined the stationary swashplate and added the control rods and brass driveshaft. Can you tell the difference over the kit's part? 
That plate is 5.5mm or 7/32"

2v2Hp7Nj7xJ21ND.jpg

Quick mockup
2v2HpLFjdxJ21ND.jpg

and adding details to the rotor

2v2Hp5CQyxJ21ND.jpg

2v2Hp5CKNxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

Hello,

This part and 2 control sticks are all there is for interior.  I added the pedals that came out at a whopping 2.2mm

2v2HcveoVxJ21ND.jpg

2v2Hcve3CxJ21ND.jpg

And other side. Need to align them before attaching permanently.
2v2HwRff8xJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

Ismael

Hello,

Needless to say, this kit has NOTHING on the interior.  So I did this little instrument dash as per 1:1 references.

2v2HcveUgxJ21ND.jpg

2v2HcveJnxJ21ND.jpg

2v2HcKyjLxJ21ND.jpg

Printed my own instruments panel. 
Yeah, the altimeter needs calibration  🙂

Thanks,

Ismael

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Not surprisingly  the rear seat and all belts were made out of masking tape.  At this scale, even the masking tape thickness is noticeable.  Still pending a little wash and dry brush on the seats for a hint of depth. And of course joystick, throttle, pitch, etc.  Unfortunately  most of this will not be seen once in the enclosed cabin. 

2v2HBCBeyxJ21ND.jpg

2v2HBCB1nxJ21ND.jpg

Remind me, what size is it?🙂
2v2HBCBRFxJ21ND.jpg

2v2HBCBPyxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

Ismael

Hello,

I couldn't help it!  I did the pilot's headphones out of wire, glue  and tubing.   Lee (midnightprowler): This is your fault!  😃

2v2HBqHsqxJ21ND.jpg

2v2HBqemFxJ21ND.jpg

and with that, cyclic control, throttle and pitch  the cockpit is done!
2v2HBqHD5xJ21ND.jpg

2v2HBqHmWxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

On 5/11/2020 at 10:55 PM, ismaelg said:

Hello,

I couldn't help it!  I did the pilot's headphones out of wire, glue  and tubing.   Lee (midnightprowler): This is your fault!  😃

2v2HBqHsqxJ21ND.jpg

2v2HBqemFxJ21ND.jpg

and with that, cyclic control, throttle and pitch  the cockpit is done!
2v2HBqHD5xJ21ND.jpg

2v2HBqHmWxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

Sheesh. And people think I'm crazy lol. Wow!!

I have only seen one 1:1 scale up close in the flesh and yours is looking pretty awesome, especially at that scale.  The pilot told me that an older helicopter pilot 

had asked him how he liked flying the 90 knot dog whistle.   The nickname is appropriate as when the engine is at idle, it has an extremely high pitch scream like a

whistle. I worked at a heliport in South Baton Rouge that the owner let the pilot/operator fly his Alouette, in support of a contractor to FEMA after Hurricane Katrina.

It was an interesting aircraft indeed.

Awesome work, I can't wait to see the completed model!

Steve Sliger

Greenwell Springs, LA

Hello,

So this is the box stock engine. That's it! 2 halves.

2v2Hp7N5gxJ21ND.jpg 

And this is how it s going as of now.  I machined an air intake cone. Adding a transmission coupler,  what I think is a filter system of some sorts and a control box with wiring. Still pending some wiring and plumbing. 
2v2H6sjhqxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

Ismael

Hello,

Since this is my helicopter I will pimp it to my taste to match the cars in my  garage...  🙂

Good old Testors Enamel.  The bottle is over 20 years old. A good shake and stir and good as new!

2v2H6sjdqxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

Ismael

Hello,

The turbine shaft has what seems to be like a brake rotor or something.  Took out the plastic part and machined my own.  My eyes hurt!  Adjustable brass shaft.

2v2HtHqyMxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

Ismael

Edited by ismaelg

Hello,

It is finally FINISHED!

OK, so this is most likely the highest detail/scale ratio I've ever done in over 40 years in this hobby.  Wiring, plumbing, brackets, clamps, seatbelts, tail rotor pitch control, etc. Even the pilot headphones.
Pictures don't do it justice.  I'm VERY happy especially considering what I started with and the scale.

The story of the fictitious registration number: You can see this helicopter has registration NAUF1LT.   After searching for weeks in hundreds of decal sheets and decal leftovers, I found the remnants of a 1/24 Williams-Renault F1 car I built years ago.  There were 2 decals that said RENAULT F1. Right size and color (white).  So I carefully cut them and rearranged to be NAU-F1-LT.  The "RE" part was not used.  Each registration is 3 separate decals.  

Heller 1/100  Alouette II

2v2HtS2vHxJ21ND.jpg

2v2HtSo8vxJ21ND.jpg

Added navigation lights which are a very small strip of wire with a painted tip.  The top's red strobe light is wire as well, with a white glue dome and painted red. Also added a strobe light to the rear.
2v2HtS22JxJ21ND.jpg

Added tail rotor pitch control and associated parts. Heavily modified tail rotor.
2v2HtSoW2xJ21ND.jpg

Added the cylindrical thingy that looks like a filter or something, with labels, clamps and a bracket attached to the fuselage (Anybody knows what it is?). Added exhaust bezel (aluminum tape), hoses, plumbing, wiring, gas tank filler cap, swash plates, links etc. Well over a dozen parts were added to the 2 part kit's engine.  Added steel wires holding the rotor blades, added related hardware. Not sure what those sticking things are but are prominent in reference pictures. Cyclic control can be seen as well.
2v2HtSoqUxJ21ND.jpg

Added a control box with wiring and labels.
2v2HtSoyJxJ21ND.jpg

Some of the interior can be seen here including full instrument panel, seatbelts and pilot's headphones among other things
2v2HtSoz9xJ21ND.jpg

And this is the picture that puts everything into perspective:
2v2HtS293xJ21ND.jpg

What do you think?

Thanks,

Ismael

Edited by ismaelg