Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire Mk. Vb

Howdy fellow plastic mashers,

I just finished up my first Spitfire. (Gasp!) Yeah...I'll let you all catch your breath...

I don't pretend to be a Spitfire expert, but I've always enjoyed the lines of the Spit, especially the clipped wing version. When I saw the green-on-green camo version on Eagle Strike's sheet, I knew I had to build one. I picked up the decals before I had the kit, but not long after got my hands on Tamiya's super-nice Mk. Vb. 

Hq2NZht.jpg?1

Now, by no means am I a rivet counter, but I wasn't able to find any concrete evidence that this camo was ever used in theater. The sheet's decals even go as far as to say that they think the camo was green-on-green, but that it could've just as easily been RAF Earth on green. So, thinking this was the MTO, I went with earth and green. Just because the two greens didn't seem very likely for that area of operations.

Anyway, Tamiya's kit is a dream. The cockpit is nicely detailed and everything fits together nicely. Everything in the office is OOB, except for some PE belts. This marks the first time I've ever used PE belts in one of my builds. (I'll give everyone another minute...)

R4Q2rSk.jpg?1

HAFcNGu.jpg?1

VibjBeC.jpg

The rest of the kit went together like peanut butter and jelly. I didn't use any filler on this build. The kit was painted with MM enamels, and weathered with pastels and Flory washes. 

wqffKxb.jpg

KJXQvTy.jpg

vS3qGMG.jpg

vSQjRFb.jpg

ThYtxfM.jpg

2ps7hkZ.jpg

NMV58MJ.jpg

UsZFHsF.jpg

Q9spb2D.jpg

wKc0lkw.jpg

MOwJf8Q.jpg

jxwzIVJ.jpg

nmQfNKX.jpg

So, thanks for looking. Feel free to share any comments, criticisms or questions. I hope everyone is healthy and safe. I wish you all well. Please take care!

Cheers,

-O

I am learning about Spitfires myself for the first time and this looks amazing. I thought it was green on green however too. Almost bought this exact sheet yesterday. Now I know what I should get!

Edited by Whiskey