Pretty much.  Both the C and D have bulged tires.  The main visual difference is the sensor fairing under the nose.  The C had the same fairing as the original B models.  Early in their lives, Cs were fitted with the straight USN style inboard pylons.  Some early Ds had the fairing removed, so the radome was smooth, while later it was reinstalled with a hump underneath when RWAH gear was installed.  Also, it could carry the AIM-4 Falcon, although the missile quickly turned out to be unsuccessful in combat use and was dropped.

Edited by Dave Williams

DW did a good job in answering your question. I'll add some additional goodies, found

on a Phantom site, http://www.airvectors.net/avf4_1.html

In the spring of 1962, the USAF decided to adopt the Phantom, under the initial designation of "F-110A Spectre", which was applied to the loaned Navy F-4Bs then being evaluated by the Air Force. A USAF-optimized variant actually went into service as the "F-4C", retaining the Navy Phantom name, with the first example of the variant flying on 27 May 1963. 563 were built to 1966. The F-4C was very similar to the F-4B, even retaining arresting gear and folding wings, but featured a number of changes:

J79-GE-15 engines, which were similar to the J79-GE-8 engines used on the F-4B, but were slightly uprated and used a pyrotechnic cartridge starter system, instead of an external compressed-air starting system. This allowed the F-4C to "self-start" and operate from remote airstrips with minimal ground support gear.

A pop-up boom-type refueling socket fitted on the spine of the aircraft behind the cockpit, replacing the F-4B's refueling probe.

Wider-tread, low-pressure tires, better suited to the relatively gentle landings on ground airstrips, as opposed to the "smackdown" landings on carrier decks. A slight bulge had to be added to the wings to accommodate the tires.

Dual flight controls. The height of the rear instrument panel was reduced to give the back-seater, known as a "weapons system officer (WSO)" or "whizzo" in Air Force nomenclature, a better forward view. Early on, pilots from other types were used as WSOs, but it proved wiser to train WSOs from the ground-up to make the best use of the radar and weapon systems. WSOs were still capable of flying the aircraft to help the pilot if necessary.

New avionics, including an AN/APQ-100 radar, an improved version of the F-4B's AN/APQ-72, featuring a better display system; an AN/ASN-48 INS for long-range navigation; an AN/AJB-7 bombing system; and provision for launch of radio-controlled AGM-12 Bullpup radio-guided air-to-surface missiles (ASMs). The Bullpup would not prove a very useful weapon in service.

Provision for the carriage of two AIM-4 Falcon AAMs on the wing pylons instead of four Sidewinders. That would not prove a good idea either, and the Falcons would rarely be carried.

The F-4D airframe was basically the same as that of the F-4C; the primary enhancements were in avionics, particularly AN/APQ-109 radar. The AN/APQ-109 was an improved, more reliable "hybrid" version of the AN/APQ-100 with solid-state components in the low-voltage sections. The F-4D also featured new attack and navigation systems, and uprated 30-kilowatt electric power generators.

Since combat experience over southeast Asia had shown the need for a gun, a 20-millimeter cannon pod designated the "SUU-16/A" was hastily introduced, to be eventually replaced by the similar but improved "SUU-23/A" pod. The F-4D was wired for carriage of the cannon pod, and had an ASG-22 lead-computing gunsight fitted for aiming it. Apparently some F-4Cs were also retrofitted to carry cannon pods.

The AN/AAA-4 IRST was deleted in most F-4D production, since it had proven useless in practice. Confusingly, late production F-4Ds were fitted with the fairing used for the AN/AAA-4, but it contained elements of an AN/APR-25/26 radar warning receiver (RWR), not an infrared sensor.

Thanks for all your help both of you guys. Appreciate it. I have the revell 1/48 phantom. There is very few aftermarket goodies it’s time for surgery. Lol! Now I just need to find the blueprints so I can do panels and rivets! 

Edited by USMC
On 4/13/2020 at 7:52 AM, Dave Williams said:

Pretty much.  Both the C and D have bulged tires.  The main visual difference is the sensor fairing under the nose.  The C had the same fairing as the original B models.  Early in their lives, Cs were fitted with the straight USN style inboard pylons.  Some early Ds had the fairing removed, so the radome was smooth, while later it was reinstalled with a hump underneath when RWAH gear was installed.  Also, it could carry the AIM-4 Falcon, although the missile quickly turned out to be unsuccessful in combat use and was dropped.

Now is the C variant a navy or Air Force? I am doing revells 1/48 scale F4c Phantom and it has a tail hook. So I am confused if it is a navy fighter or Air Force? 

5 hours ago, USMC said:

Now is the C variant a navy or Air Force? I am doing revells 1/48 scale F4c Phantom and it has a tail hook. So I am confused if it is a navy fighter or Air Force? 

The C was an Air Force version.  All F-4s have the hook as it’s simpler and cheaper to all build them that way than to redesign and make separate airframes for Navy and Air Force versions.

5 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

The C was an Air Force version.  All F-4s have the hook as it’s simpler and cheaper to all build them that way than to redesign and make separate airframes for Navy and Air Force versions.

Most AF Fighters have a tail hook that can be used for emergencies.