Finally; a new 1/72 Phantom

After their gorgeous F-14 Tomcat, FineMolds will release the mighty Phantom in 1/72 this summer.

Two variants scheduled sofar, both Japanese Air Self Defense Force:

Boxing FP38: F-4EJ 

Boxing FP39: F-4EJ Kai

The upgraded Kai version has RWR blobs on the vertical fin and wingtips as well as an upgraded cockpit. 

A new JASDF weapons set will be released also. 

Will they release other Phantom variants???

2 hours ago, Stefan buysse said:

That's great news, Pollie.:thumbsup:

What is a good source for FineMolds kits for us? Order directly from Japan?

Cheers, Stefan.

I've ordered from https://www.1999.co.jp/eng before and no complaints. 

But still hoping I'll be able to visit Japan again this fall and pick one up in person.....

5 hours ago, pollie said:

After their gorgeous F-14 Tomcat, FineMolds will release the mighty Phantom in 1/72 this summer.

Thanks -- something  great to look forward to!!

Where did you hear/read about this? All I could find is this, this and this, the last two being from Hobby Search which lists release as August10690914b.jpg.

10690911b.jpg

The top pic is the Kai, and the bottom is the "plain" EJ ... of which I'll be getting many copies to make hard wing F-4Es. Oh Happy Day!!

Gene K

Edited by GeneK
On 4/13/2020 at 11:37 AM, Craig Baldwin said:

So many paint variations............  😃

Yes, Craig!!  So many model variants as well.

Will be fun exploring kit-crossing options, in particular the wings (I have plenty of fin caps and stabs courtesy of my go-to Hasegawa kits). Hmmmm ... can those Hasegawa RF noses be made to fit? :thumbsup:

But hopefully FineMolds will produce further kit options since it makes financial sense ... I think?  

Gene K

Edited by GeneK
On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 5:09 PM, pollie said:

I've ordered from https://www.1999.co.jp/eng before and no complaints. 

But still hoping I'll be able to visit Japan again this fall and pick one up in person.....

Thanks, Pollie.

Maybe you'll catch the last ones at Hyakuri or Gifu.:thumbsup:

Gifu could be interesting, I haven't seen a "Final Year" scheme from them yet.

Cheers, Stefan.

8 minutes ago, Stefan buysse said:

Gifu could be interesting, I haven't seen a "Final Year" scheme from them yet.

They are rumoured to fly them into 2021 so that might come next year.

As a matter of coincidence; Hyakuri's 301 squadron revealed another specially coloured Phantom today! The squadron now has two specials flying around. 

18 hours ago, pollie said:

Hyakuri's 301 squadron revealed another specially coloured Phantom today! The squadron now has two specials flying around. 

"Special", as usual.

Gene K

image004.jpg

Edited by GeneK

Paul, are you one of the two maverick guys with the black masks?

In the Britmodeller thread started by Homebee, he brings up an interesting question as to whether this new release could be connected to the never-materialized Platz kit.  Hmmmm.

Gene K

Edited by GeneK
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks much, Craig. Beyond belief that the Bleed Air Holes are there in such detail. Did you count 12,500 on each ramp to make sure they 're all accounted for?

Since I don't do Facebook or Tweet, I scoured the challenging FineMolds website looking for the pictures you posted, and finally dug them out of some Tweet links on their main page. Also found this most interesting in-progress shot of what I assume are the FineMolds molds -- mostly the wings:

EWRuOmfUEAArLJv?format=jpg&name=large

I zoomed in to see what I could pick out as far as features, but didn't get much --separate EJ and Kai outer wings, flaps and ailerons molded in, and the Aux Air Doors open. I was interested whether or not the speed brakes would be open or closed, but can't tell. Hopefully there will be more such shots posted in the coming weeks, and I look forward to your updates here, Craig.

Gene K

Edited by GeneK
typo
1 hour ago, GeneK said:

Beyond belief that the Bleed Air Holes are there in such detail. Did you count 12,500 on each ramp to make sure they 're all accounted for?

Hopefully there will be more such shots posted in the coming weeks, and I look forward to your updates here, Craig.

Yes Gene, I could not believe I was looking at 1/72 intake parts. The bar has been raised out of reach for some manufacturers.

I will keep an eye out for more eye candy.

But in the mean time I've been filtering through my Kodachrome collection and found another to wet our appetite.

A scan of a shot taken July 1992 of a 306 squadron aircraft shot by a very loyal trading partner of mine Toshikazu Nishizaka and former Mitsubishi F1 crew chief.

DehxU7h.jpg

58 minutes ago, Craig Baldwin said:

Seems they are not shy about sharing the progress, good news for us.

Indeed! According to Google Chrome's Translate to English feature,  the FineMolds site states that mold testing has been done and adjustments are being made.

I also found this on the FineMolds site:

d22hfxA.jpg

and this:

9CoUazp.jpg

Trying to figure out what part #13 in the first picture is.

I pre-ordered mine yesterday.

Only one? 😲   I "presently" only have two on order with HobbySearch ... coming via EMS when available.

Gene K

Edited by GeneK