Finally; a new 1/72 Phantom

4 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

I could not find the part where the tools are shown. Is that in the same 10 hour video? Or somewhere else?

The molds were not shown in the videos. I picked those pictures off the FineMolds home webpage where they show three different Twitter feeds on the left side (I don't do Twitter, so just go to that page every day to see what's new ... hoping I find F-4 material). Pretty amazing that FineMolds allows that kind of pre-production sharing!

By the way, both videos are the same slide show presentation, but  to different groups of modellers. The FM rep showed 12 sprue shots, 4 marking profiles, and one shot each of drawings of the  metal tubes and the Armament set. Unfortunately, he skipped showing the slide that accompanied the thumbnail of the outside of the intake piece.

Gene K

EDIT: Gabor, the mold slides were in the short video starting at 37:26.

Edited by GeneK
3 hours ago, Wild Weasel V said:

... we finally have a near vertical aft bulkhead in the rear cockpit.

But looks like (?) they didn't quite get the downward angle of the engines.

If Fine Molds do do a full Phamily these could potentially be the definitive 1/72 F-4s.

The definitive 1/72 F-4 kit should surely include separate droopy things like speed brakes and ailerons. 

There's a showing of Z-M's 1/48 kit with a discussion of the research into their F-4E.

IfhZ5Ws.png

That's a kit I anticipate as much as the 1/72 FM version!

...  any chance of larger versions of the photos to the left of the tank & upper fuselage frame?

Jonathan, I'll post what I have shortly.

Gene K

Edited by GeneK

Jonathan,

Besides the tank sprue, I could only get these shots of horizontal stab(s).

ALZtxYq.png

QqExGXP.png

The other thumbnail (third from top) wasn't spoken to by the presenter, so no screenshot.

So the intriguing question is -- are those the top and bottom of the same slotted stab ... or two stabs - one with triangular reinforcing plate, and the other without? Hmmmm. ... F-4S stab have reinforcements?

Gene K

My guess is that they are two different sprues with horizontals one with and the other without reinforcement. Why do I think so? Look at the sprue frame, they are different structures and connections to other frames. 

I think they will the appropriate version sprue to the given version.

Now the question is, did they do the reinforcements on both sides? I know (I think) in earyl version they had the reinforcement "triangles" only on top surface. But I have seen on those QF-4E's that they had the reinforcement on both top and bottom surface. 

Best regards

Gabor  

19 hours ago, GeneK said:

Gene K

EDIT: Gabor, the mold slides were in the short video starting at 37:26.

Hi Gene K,

Thank for the link. It is interesting and it would have been very interesting to hear some of the discussion and reasoning for the parts. The person in the middle with FineMolds logo behind him I suspect to be from the company, he is the one who shown on the other video details of the sprue.

Here are few screen prints from this new video link. I don’t know who he is, but certainly a lucky person with some of the early 2 test sprues. There are some short shoots so there is still some work left on these sprues till it is a final product.

Still they look good and interesting.

GULi0Ge.jpg

Some cockpit walls and wheel details

z4hqZf1.jpg

GULi0Ge.jpg

v42wh0T.jpg

OQawvyI.jpg 

Best regards

Gabor

Hi

Very nice new 1/72nd scale Phantom moulds are being released. Especially if they come in different versions.

Nice parts, cockpit etc... But I am still surprised they went that far with some details - ie air intake ducts and belly auxilliairy air intakes - but do not provide flaps and airbrakes. 

Probably afetrmarket accessories here?

Eric B.

Edited by Eric B.
1 hour ago, Eric B. said:

... but do not provide flaps and airbrakes. 

Eric,

I can (sort of) understand the kit not having flaps - if FM  provided these, they would also have to include leading edge flaps since the aircraft technically can't have one without the other. Also, some models incorporated ailerons that dropped with the flaps. Such a detailed wing would add complexity and cost ... that the designers and bean counters obviously weighed.

However, since the airplane has speed brakes and ailerons that start to droop after hydraulic power is removed (engines shut down), these should have been provided for modelers who  want to show the airplane on the ground other than immediately after shut down!

As for aftermarket, hopefully we'll see some new speed brakes other than the expensive Eduard set shown on the previous page. The speed brakes on the Academy and Monogram kits are good representations, so would be good candidates for resin casting if planning to build a series (fortunately I have a stack of Monogram brakes at the ready).

Drooping the flaps is relatively easy by scoring a small trough on the bottom flap hinge, and carefully bending the aileron down (without cracking). That droop won't be technically correct because the flaps are hinged at the bottom in the real airplane, but if one wants to go further,  Wolfpack offers outstanding resin flap sets.

Gene K

Edited by GeneK
3 minutes ago, GeneK said:

Drooping the flaps is relatively easy by scoring a small trough on the bottom flap hinge, and carefully bending the aileron down (without cracking). That droop won't be technically correct because the flaps are hinged at the bottom in the real airplane, but if one wants to go further,  Wolfpack offers outstanding resin flap sets.

Exactly what I done in my current F-15 here in the WIP section and what will do in my next Rhinos...

I've also the Wolfpack set for my F-4E(S) future conversion.

Gianni

1 hour ago, kurnass77 said:

I've also the Wolfpack set for my F-4E(S) future conversion.

Exciting. Where are you getting the new nose and other pieces ... or are you scratch building? So you plan on using the FineMolds kit as your basis? 

I'm looking forward to that thread - the Israeli camo is very attractive to my eye.!

Gene K

2 hours ago, GeneK said:

Eric,

However, since the airplane has speed brakes and ailerons that start to droop after hydraulic power is removed (engines shut down), these should have been provided for modelers who  want to show the airplane on the ground other than immediately after shut down!

Gene K

Hi Gene, 

That is actually what I meant, surfaces drooping with power off.

You are right they are the outer surfaces (ailerons) that droop at the wing trailing edge, not the inner surfaces (flaps).

Monogram, Fujimi on their British Phantoms, Academy did it on their models, I would have expected FM to do the same.

That's a correction I bring on all my Phantom models (mostly based on Hasegawa 1/72nd scale kits) but I would have appreciated to save time and efforts on a new mould 1/72nd scale Phantom.

This said I have pre-ordered!!    

Regards 

Eric B.

I dont speak a word of Japanese but from what I can make out the way the person in top right corner is showing to the FineMolds person in bottom left window is exactly the question of dropped flaps. It would be interesting to hear from anyone knowing the language what the answer was. It is at 47.30-ish  in the video.

AWehtFg.jpg

x8vMuLR.jpg

Yes, I also think that open air brakes and “hanging” flaps are missing from the kit, but boy the rest of it looks Phantastic so definitely look forward to this one!

Best regards

Gabor

11 hours ago, GeneK said:

Exciting. Where are you getting the new nose and other pieces ... or are you scratch building? So you plan on using the FineMolds kit as your basis? 

I'm looking forward to that thread - the Israeli camo is very attractive to my eye.!

Gene K

Gene,

I programmed to use a classic Hase E,FM is actually out of my plan/budget, especially after the Covid lockdown...

The nose if remember well is the Eagle Design conversio, but surely I'll convert in some way the camera bay and scratch all the other details

Gianni

11 hours ago, Tomcat Trebor said:

... the Airfix or Fujimi British Phantom, can have 'hanging flaps' why cannot that happen with the FM kit.

Could be. Hopefully FM will get some feedback along those lines. 

August can't come fast enough for me.

Gene K

From FineMolds:

UNcAQmy.jpg

Impressive rear cockpit:

5mgAGQv.jpg

Check out the unbelievable detail on the end of the splitter plate. And compare the intake "grills" to those on the new Airfix Phantom. :giggle:

WDsF6ql.jpg

Not too much to mod to get an F-4E front Instrument Panel:

3C2ZQ4K.jpg

Can it get much better?

Gene K

22 minutes ago, GeneK said:

Can it get much better?

Beautiful eye popping detail. And to think we get cockpits of larger scale kits with clumsy looking panels from some kit manufacturers.

Seeing the lower wing section with the AIM 7 stations, I am not totally convinced they will do an RF version but doesn't mean I am not praying hard for it.

Thanks for the upload Gene.

...not to rain on the parade of what looks like an excellent kit, but the stabs look a bit odd to me. I just overlaid the dimensions of my (carefully hand measured and also backed up by the Daco book) stab dimensions and indeed the demarcation line between the inner and outer parts look to be off. The painted outer part is a bit too wide and the unpainted inner part too narrow, placing the fish plate too far inboard as well... :hmmm:

FM%20Stab%20Overlay.jpg

Note I'm NOT overly concerned about the longitudinal discrepancy, I think that's photo and angle distortion. At the moment, I'm only talking about the lateral misplacement of the fore-aft panel line. It's better than on the Acedemy kit, but not quite right either....

Edited by JeffreyK

There you have it, a good opportunity for an aftermarket. At least something! : )  : )   : )  : )

Like I dont think there is much to add to the intake, to the cockpit, OK there always will be some new resin bangseats but apart from that   What did the Romans give us? In this case FineMolds. : )  : )

Best regards

Gabor

3 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

There you have it, a good opportunity for an aftermarket. At least something! : )  : )   : )  : )

If the stab is "off",  JeffreyK (Hypersonic Models) could be the go-to aftermarket guy. He's already done the research and currently produces beautiful 1/48 slotted as well as unslotted stabs. 

Unfortunately there has always been concern that 1/72 aftermarket doesn't sell that well ... .

Gene K

On 5/23/2020 at 8:31 AM, GeneK said:

If the stab is "off",  JeffreyK (Hypersonic Models) could be the go-to aftermarket guy. He's already done the research and currently produces beautiful 1/48 slotted as well as unslotted stabs. 

Unfortunately there has always been concern that 1/72 aftermarket doesn't sell that well ... .

Gene K

Or there could be quite the market for stabs from all of those Hasegawa and Fujimi kits that are suddenly considered "obsolete".

Regards,

Murph