Finally; a new 1/72 Phantom

2 hours ago, Craig Baldwin said:

Just one pic I found of interest today, wing tank half.  Sorry I don't have the knowledge of others to comment on tooling etc.

Hi Craig,

I think this is why a forum like this can work realy well. Everyone have their own knowledge and we can put it all together to get  a better picture.

Yee, that is the anode made from brass for the wing fuel tank which will be used in that previouly shown / described electra spark etching process. It looks nice!

Best regards

Gabor

11 hours ago, GeneK said:

Thanks.

Did you use the very cool Android mobile app to "translate the picture" ... or is there a way to do it on the computer?

Gene K

I used the android app, I don't know if you can do it from a computer.

Cheers,

Hoops

Some other photos emerged from the event earlier this week.

Two test builds were shown, one for the simple F-4Ej and the other for the F-4EJ KAI version. (Surprise that they did 2 3D prints for the nose earlier)  It can be seen that for the later the stabilators have the triangle reinforcements.

This is the KAI version

bz51uox.jpg

The sprues already available were shown. But I think there is a piece of warning here, like the wings have a shrink mark, but dont fforget that they are the very first test shoots of this sprue. ( I hope it will not be on the final verison!!!!!!! )

XOQ89A5.jpg

As far as it is known this weapons set is a solo set, just as the NANO seat belts for the ejection seats. Here are all the names for the missiles.

BCdjX1N.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

Friends told me that a storm in a tea-cup is developing on another forum. Heated discussion is about how to make the reinforcement plates on the stabalizator of the new FineMolds Phantom kit.

FEt1flN.jpg 

Did they ever take a look at the photos released by the company?????  Including that particular detail. The kit includes two versions of the stabilizator.

Best regards

Gabor

11 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Friends told me that a storm in a tea-cup is developing on another forum.

Is it allowed to name the "another forum"?

Gene K

Edit: Found it on Britmodeller.

Edited by GeneK

Hi Gene K

Good morning!

Yes, I see you found it. On ARC (as on other forums around the world) I dont think it is a problem to name other forums, but as far as I been told "over there" it is a serious crime to name forums and particular names also. : )  : )  : )  Well democracy is democracy. : )  : ) It all depends on interpretation.

But going back to the subject. It is interesting to see the brake down of parts to particular sprues. What it means is that FineMolds left a hell of a lot of options open for the futurer. Will they take them is only a question of time but the possibilities are endless for producing different Phantom kits in the future.

Like for the stabs it is a completely separate little sprue that they can replace in the moulding tool by taking out that particular steel block and add a new one.

I am sure they will want to see first how the F-4EJ kits will do in sales. I most certainly want to try out those NANO sets for the seat harness. It is in 72nd scale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best regards

Gabor

15 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Friends told me that a storm in a tea-cup is developing on another forum. Heated discussion is about how to make the reinforcement plates on the stabalizator of the new FineMolds Phantom.

I cannot understand that kind of discussion. Even if those plates weren't present, they are some of the easiest pieces to scratchbuilt. After all , we call ourselves scale modellers not kit builders.

Furthermore their presence depends on the subject and timeframe you want to do. We in the Luftwaffe had jets with those plates only at the top, some only at the bottom, and others on both sides. Hell I even have a picture on my hard drive, which was taken from a shelter, and shows the jet with having the plate only on the upper lefthsnd stab. This is really rare, since usually the stabilator unit was one integral part (almost like the Tamiya 1/32) and was changed as section. It was transported in a wooden cage. They were maintained independently from the airframd. Hence, they could go from one jet to another. That's why the timeframe matters as well.

I'd rather would like to see the slotted leading edge to be more pronounced. FineMold's look more like the ones Fujimi provided. I my opinion, the Hasegawa late tool F-4 kits have an advantage in that area.

Cheers

Michael

As always check your references!

Yes, I know that there were many variations for these "fish tails". I think here you are given a good choice, the triangles are there on top and bottom and depending on your choice simply sand it off if not needed. There is also the choice of the "plain" stabs with no fish tails in the other boxing. 

As to adding them to the kit (if they are not there) is a simple job but I am sure some aftermarkets will cater for that. There are so many techniques for adding extra surface detail but I prefer the manufacturer to make it in the first place if possible. Recently we have seen one manufacturer stating that they provide a very cheap kit with minimal/almost none surface details (inside and outside the kit) saying "Most modellers will do it anyway and buy aftermarket". I prefer the way this Phantom kit is made and it is "just" 72nd scale! 

The leadiing edge is another topic. After all we are speaking here of 72nd scale. I am sure it would not be a problem to do them separately in 48th scale, it would be a delicate part but possible. Here, it looks OK to me but everyone have different taste and requirements.

Best regards

Gabor

Thanks Robert,

Will get them most certainly but together with the kit.

I am not really sure about the weapons set, have no plans of using those Japanese weapons. But I am 100% sure that I will use the Master pitot set instead of the one offered by FineMolds.

Best regards

Gabor

A little up-date on the Phantom work. Although we have seen those built up kit, one for each version to be released, but we know that they used “only” 3D printed nose parts. Work is on to make the sprue press tools for the front parts as well as for the fuel tanks and a third smaller sprue for other (unknown) parts. The three separate slabs of steel were taken out of the tool frame and worked on individually at this stage.

Details of the nose left and right side parts are starting to take shape in EMD machine. Details are added step by step. Do I see it right that the after end of the nose part has integral intake ducting parts with it. I don’t remember anyone else doing it in a similar fashion.

sT9eF1j.jpg

Also the wing fuel tanks get the fine surface details.

9BdAuAm.jpg

Here is a little bonus from last week’s show. The surface details on the wing underside.

3Ojhqyn.jpg

Stay safe!

Best regards

Gabor

On 7/6/2020 at 10:32 AM, ya-gabor said:

Here is a little bonus from last week’s show. The surface details on the wing underside.

3Ojhqyn.jpg

Stay safe!

Best regards

Gabor

They really went the extra mile with the details on the belly. I especially like detailing of the centerline stores hardpoint. So many Phantoms of the late 70s early 80s flew without stores on that station (due to the very low g-limit of the old Sargent Fletcher 600gal tank). It would have been nice to see that kind of details also on the lower side of the inboard pylons, where the MAU-12 weapons adapter is visible. Speaking of the inner pylons. Take a look at their alignment to the re-enforcement inside the gear well. The pylon is in the correct position. The spar (or whatever you want to call) it is off. The inner edge of it should allign with the centerline of the inboard pylon and thereby should be more centered between the hinges of the speed brake.

Cheers

Michael

I know this image was already shown but here is a little explanation of what is visible on this tool for the nose section.

I like the inclusion of the four slitter plate supports (as already seen on those 3D printed parts), they are a nice touch and most welcome addition in 72nd scale. I don’t remember any other 72 kit adding them.

There is of course also confirmation that the nose is built up from 4 major parts (left, right sides, top and bottom) to go around the cockpit tub and the nose gear bay. As to the fit, it will be interesting to see, but it is a nice idea of building up the nose section around the core of the cockpit.

IqsCOA5.jpg

As always there are two sides of a coin so the production injection moulding tool also has another side. While this one shows us the outer side of the would be plastic part, the other mould tool has the inner core. Holes have been drilled for ejection pins (the ones we modellers so dislike) and the basic machining to remove most of the excess metal was completed. Now the separate steel blocks will go into further EMD “machining”.

I think very soon (I would say late next week) we should expect the first test sprues for the nose part.

Best regards

Gabor

A clue as to how the intakes are formed (top right on sprue). Also note Ejection Seat parts (lower right on sprue):

7AaLs9N.jpg

Note the  "mating" (?) pieces for the Intake and Tail sprues: 

LSKYggV.jpg

Great!!!

Gene K

Edited by GeneK
1 hour ago, Craig Baldwin said:

I'm not sure what is supposed to be the item in the second image.

Hmmmmm? Closest I can guess is the ejection seat rails in the front cockpit, but  that's a stretch.

The detail on the gun covering is outstanding ... I'm curious to see how the Black Dog M61 will fit. 

JqWL7ES.jpg

The gun access door [that covered the gun mechanism, not the barrels] was usually open on Pre-flight so the pilot could check the gun rounds counter. The panel line for that door is missing so far in the molds.

jY0oMlt.jpg

Gene K

Edited by GeneK