Finally; a new 1/72 Phantom

From FineMolds:

The shipping date has been decided for another step in the company.

Shipped by our company on October 8
1/72 Japan Air Self-Defense Force F-4EJ fighter http: //finemolds.co.jp/FP/FP37.html 
1/72 Air Self-Defense Force missile set http: //finemolds.co.jp/FP/FP39.html 
1/72 F-4 Pitot tube (long nose) http: //finemolds.co.jp/www/AA,AC,AH.html # aa52 …

Shipped on October 15th
1/72 Air Self-Defense Force F-4EJ Kai http: //finemolds.co.jp/FP/FP38.html 

Markings are also posted : 

EimBAWBVoAIdxbW?format=jpg&name=small

EimBAjFUwAAWIiV?format=jpg&name=small

Gene K

Although I am impressed by the plastic and fabrication process shown so far I am really underwhelmed by the markings they've chosen.

For both boxings two aircraft of the same squadron were picked, with only the serialnumber being different! I know this leaves them a lot of room for future special editions with different decals, but still: besides 301, 302, 306 Hikotai (sqn) and the test unit the Phantom was also flown by 8, 303, 304 and 305 Hikotai.

Thank god I have plenty of aftermarket decals awaiting them 🙂 

This is what google translate said for me about the image "Finally, the draft of the F-4EJ Kai has been submitted.
I don't think there will be any slapstick corrections and drafts this time, so it seems that the 15-day shipment of the F-4EJ Kai will go as planned along with the 8-day shipment of the F-4EJ.
Incidentally, the monthly model art @ModelArtInc released today. Then, in addition to advertising, the editor-in-chief's visit to our company and an interview with the president are posted.".

ay5qPVD.jpg?1

Edited by Craig Baldwin
On 9/24/2020 at 11:49 PM, Falconxlvi said:

I’ll be picking up the DXM “Sea Camo” decals for sure.  

Steve,

What is your source for the (expensive) DXM decals? 

I have the recent Hasegawa RF-4EJ that has the pods as well as a beautiful decal sheet ... that I could swap with the FM kit. :hmmm:

10662389.jpg

I'm still a little miffed at the bland FM markings -- at least a Shark Mouth could have been included!

10122284.jpg

But yes, it's the plastic that's most important ...  to me.

Gene K

51 minutes ago, GeneK said:

Steve,

What is your source for the (expensive) DXM decals? 

I have the recent Hasegawa RF-4EJ that has the pods as well as a beautiful decal sheet ... that I could swap with the FM kit. :hmmm:

10662389.jpg

I'm still a little miffed at the bland FM markings -- at least a Shark Mouth could have been included!

10122284.jpg

But yes, it's the plastic that's most important ...  to me.

Gene K

Sprue Brothers 👍🏻👍🏻

https://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/dxm81-7127.htm

And I hear you on the markings...they are uninspired.  

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi

Here are three samples of over 50 detailed pictures  included in a sloppy slap-together of an FM sample kit here in this Tweet:

Air Cond Intakes have recessed openings!

Ei2y-QMUMAI1G15?format=jpg&name=large

Too bad an IPMS flashlight will be required to see this detail down the intakes.

Eir2ZYvX0Ao1WMe?format=jpg&name=large

The assembler used what appears to be black tinted CA to hastily stick the parts together, thus the seams seem worse than what they likely are. Additionally, he used Fujimi decals in the cockpit, thus negating the FM details. Nontheless, these early photos are definitely worth appreciating!

The only picture that gave me a double-take was the pebbly finish shown below ... but it's high magnification (and flash used?), so the plastic is likely  not as grainy as it appears. 

Eirzld7XsAA4Son?format=jpg&name=large

The Tweet is in Japanese, but can be viewed in English using Google Translate ... and in that regard, I was surprised to read that the Gun Gas Purge Door missing in the FM build-pictures, is in fact missing from the kit. Not a big deal at all, but surprising given the obvious research FM put into this project.

Gene K

This video link was posted on a "British modelling site":

Very good video ... except the repeated comments about "gimmicky stuff" that was intentionally left off the model by design.

Great clues about future variants, and interesting (not surprising to me) that this particular model is such a huge preorder for HLJ.

Gene K

Edited by GeneK

The story of making the kit ends here. It is now up to the modellers. : )  : )

As FineMolds is saying today:

"With all the F4EJ parts in place, we started packing.
It will be shipped on October 8th."

The decal sheet.

4TX1DKH.jpg

GHiEhZV.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

On 9/24/2020 at 11:49 PM, Falconxlvi said:

I’ll be picking up the DXM “Sea Camo” decals for sure.  

As ya-gabor's post shows, the decal sheet in the kit is pretty comprehensive (!). Using that sheet, think you could save the cost of the DXM sheet? Aside from some serial numbers and the small unit patch ... .

Also, I noticed on the HLJ video that there's a new Vic Hobby special paint set available that includes the Sea Camo colors:

rm2oJUw.png

Gene K

Edited by GeneK
4 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

The story of making the kit ends here. It is now up to the modellers. : )  : )

Seemingly a bit anti-climatic for me as I enjoyed all the previews. I'm afraid there will be nothing to surprise me when I open the box.

Well done FineMolds, your stature in the aircraft modeling world will be heightened significantly when these hits the shelves outside Nihon. I've always admired the Japanese hobby industry and their commitment to quality.

Edited by Craig Baldwin
spelling
1 hour ago, GeneK said:

As ya-gabor's post shows, the decal sheet in the kit is pretty comprehensive (!). Using that sheet, think you could save the cost of the DXM sheet? Aside from some serial numbers and the small unit patch ... .

Also, I noticed on the HLJ video that there's a new Vic Hobby special paint set available that includes the Sea Camo colors:

rm2oJUw.png

Gene K

I already bought the DXM decals...oh well.  This sure looks like a great kit!

1 hour ago, Craig Baldwin said:

Seemingly a bit anti-climatic for me as I enjoyed all the previews.

Sure it is! But all stories end somewhere!

With my marketing and advertiser hat on I would say that FineMolds made an excellent introduction of their kit, but also of the FineMolds name to many who have never heard of them before.

Like me, I have to say. I knew there was a FineMolds around but mainly with domestic WW2 kits was the perception in my mind. 

For me the technological details of developing a kit was the most fascinating aspect of the story, sure it has been shown by some companies but mainly only bits and pieces. Here you had a full story from a block of steel and smaller chunks of brass all the way to the final product. Certainly a great way of introducing the company and a brand new product! Great move by FineMolds!!!

Was it worth it???  Judging from the enourmous amount of pre-orders of the Phantom kit with HLJ it certainly was!!! And they are only one of the players.

Actually the real story of the FineMolds F-4 Phantom kits only starts now that modellers will get the actual plastic parts.

Best regards

Gabor

2 hours ago, Craig Baldwin said:

I'm afraid there will be nothing to surprise me when I open the box.

And that's a good thing!

[quote]   ... I would say that FineMolds made an excellent introduction of their kit ... . [/quote]

I enjoyed your post, Gabor ... and certainly agree!

As an aside, the kit's instructions show that sprues can be purchased individually ... BUT only for the Japanese market. Back in the day, there used to be a service in Japan through which you could order individual sprues (they would buy the sprues and ship them to you). Anyone know if this service is still around? 

Gene K

Edited by GeneK
2 hours ago, Falconxlvi said:

I already bought the DXM decals...oh well.  This sure looks like a great kit!

I think the DXM sheet includes the grey-ed out data stencils that are found on the Sea Camo scheme (i.e. black data on a grey backing). FM's sheet doesn't seem to include them. The FM data stencils look like the standard black ones.  Also, FM sheet doesn't have the 8 Sqn panther tail logo.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10235977/10/1

So I think you made the right choice :thumbsup:   I think FM's new kit would look great in sea camo.

5 hours ago, JackMan said:

So I think you made the right choice :thumbsup:   I think FM's new kit would look great in sea camo.

Yes, a big thumbs up!

4crzrpz.jpg.f854087e0818bf17cc7b7a94e786

Based on the FM leader's comments about enticing modeller's to buy many "simple"  kits to use for for different markings, this beautiful scheme may just be on FM's future list. AN RF-4E in this scheme would also ... nevermind. :whistle:

Gene K

Edited by GeneK

I agree with all the comments above and am one of those HLJ preorders.  My DXM decals arrived today and they look great.  The stencils behind and around the tactical numbers are all one decal which is nice.  It’s going to be a loooooong stencil session.  Anyways, it was fun to get the peek behind the curtain and if it’s as easy to build as Fine Molds says it is, I could definitely see a few of these in my future.    

22 hours ago, JackMan said:

I think the DXM sheet includes the grey-ed out data stencils that are found on the Sea Camo scheme (i.e. black data on a grey backing).

Great point that I didn't consider, JackMan, thanks.

I have the Hasegawa RF-4E in "Sea Camo", but the scheme is different than the F-4EJ Kai. The decals are black with no gray background:

HAS02316-2T.jpg

Instead of the DXM sheet, I have the Hasegawa F-4EJ Kai kit coming to me from Sprue Bros, the intent being to possibly use those decals on the FM kit. Appears from here that those decals do have the gray backing markings:

HAS00637-2T.jpg

So why the Hasegawa kit instead of the DXM decals? Because the Has kit is only $3 more expensive than the DXM sheet, thus I rationalized (cough, cough) that the Has kit was only $3.00 ... modeler's math.

Steve, hopefully Sprue Brothers will carry these kits so we can stock up without the high shipping from Japan. Or do you fly a route over there?

Gene K

21 minutes ago, GeneK said:

Instead of the DXM sheet, I have the Hasegawa F-4EJ Kai kit coming to me from Sprue Bros, the intent being to possibly use those decals on the FM kit. Appears from here that those decals do have the gray backing markings:

HAS00637-2T.jpg

So why the Hasegawa kit instead of the DXM decals? Because the Has kit is only $3 more expensive than the DXM sheet, thus I rationalized (cough, cough) that the Has kit was only $3.00 ... modeler's math.

Lol! Great minds think alike, sir.  I, too, rationalized it the same way.  To me, it was a case of "well, technically I'm buying a decal sheet with a kit thrown in" - mentality. 

Good to know others think the same way as me 🤣

3 hours ago, GeneK said:

Great point that I didn't consider, JackMan, thanks.

I have the Hasegawa RF-4E in "Sea Camo", but the scheme is different than the F-4EJ Kai. The decals are black with no gray background:

HAS02316-2T.jpg

HAS00637-2T.jpg

Steve, hopefully Sprue Brothers will carry these kits so we can stock up without the high shipping from Japan. Or do you fly a route over there?

Gene K

I don’t fly internationally, but I ordered from HLJ.  I have been taking advantage of their private warehouse and consolidate orders to save in shipping.   I currently have a Kinetic AV-8A and Zvezda C-130H on preorder with them as well as the F-4EJ, so I will hold off on shipping until all kits are in stock.   Shipping is reasonable, although not “cheap”, via FedEx.   

Steve

On 10/2/2020 at 6:13 PM, GeneK said:

A

As an aside, the kit's instructions show that sprues can be purchased individually ... BUT only for the Japanese market. Back in the day, there used to be a service in Japan through which you could order individual sprues (they would buy the sprues and ship them to you). Anyone know if this service is still around? 

Gene K

Hi,

Were you thinking of Rainbow Ten?

They ceased their parts service in 2012.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/missinglynx/noooooooo-the-rainbow-ten-internet-store-closing-d-t186993.html

If anyone knows about other ways to order parts from Japan, I'd also love to hear about it. I'm after some Zoukei Moura  Navy style F-4 inner pylons.

Cheers, Stefan.