Finally; a new 1/72 Phantom

As anticipated from kits so far FineMolds is doing separate cockpit parts for each one of the short nosed versions. It is (as before) laser engraved to give all the instrument panels as they should be.

Just as before two versions of instrument panels will be provided aside from the engraved versions in each case. Plain panel will be included if one wishes to use only the decal version of panels.

OacGT2g.jpg

ZRRX4Gh.jpg

hTEdIps.jpg

Soon test shots will be made of the new sprues.

Best regards

Gabor

4 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

As anticipated from kits so far FineMolds is doing separate cockpit parts for each one of the short nosed versions.

And here are the backs of the Instrument Panels:

EzpdYCMVEAIdeeQ?format=jpg&name=large

Gene K

Thanks Gabor and Gene for keeping us updated!

My imagination's getting the better of me now, but I sincerely hope that Fine Molds release a thin-wing Phantom. Alternatively, our friends at Tamiya are welcome to take this on...

3 hours ago, AndrewS said:

... I sincerely hope that Fine Molds release a thin-wing Phantom.

Yes, please!!! :thumbsup2:

But 'till then ... the Hasegawa B/N thin wing top fits nicely with just a little surgery (the wing root-to-fuselage fit is near perfect). The alternative to that is sanding down the FM wing (easy to do on the bottom , but the top will require fine re-scribing (beyond my skill level)). After sanding, the top wing gets a little thin in one area, but is not a factor in rescribing.

gMM8HSH.jpg

The Has top wing replacement is simpler/cleaner, but I appreciate that not everyone may have a "spare" Has thin wing laying around.

Gene K

EDIT: After I started "reconfiguring" FM F-4EJ kits to short nosed F-4C, F-4D, F-4J, and an RF-4E, FM announced the C,D, and J. So it follows that we are bound to see the F-4B/N, as well as an RF-4. You're welcome.  :whistle:

Edited by GeneK
2 hours ago, GeneK said:

.... So it follows that we are bound to see the F-4B/N, as well as an RF-4. You're welcome.  :whistle:

and we salute your efforts to bring about these realities! :salute: thank you!

If it was a news TV program I would say Braking News

Just released photos of the first test shots of sprues for the F-4C model. It is visible that there are many interconnections on the sprue for the different frame pieces depending on particular type.

Here is the left side of the nose with some additional parts like the fin, nose cone, underside, nose bay door, antennas and the top of the nose in front of the windscreen

TlVtpEp.jpg

And the right side with some more parts and on a separate frame the instrument panel parts for the C version and antenna bulge under the nosecone.

jgC1tvW.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

Thanks, Gabor.

Interesting that there are two nose cones. The P sprue with the left front fuselage is probably a sprue common to the J kit ... which means one can use that nose cone (after shaving off the J antenna) to model a slick nose D. Nice.

Glad to see that the vertical fin is one piece since the insert in the the long nose Phantom kits is not a very good fit!!

Gene K

Hi Gene,

I believe the radome on Sprue P is the “clean” (or "slick" as you say) version for some short nosed Phantoms. While the cut out is visible on the second radome version which is together with the right nose section on Sprue S. The cut-out is where the different chin pods will go eventually. They are all different and one version is visible on the “Instrument panel” sprue (is it Sprue T).

Best regards

Gabor

There is a set of different hubs, but the one I seen is on another sprue which also has the part for the spine.  Yeeee, those two round things above right nose section do look like wheel hubs on Sprue S.

So is possible that there are not only 2 versions of the hubs in the range of versions in plans at the moment? 

Here is a view of it under magnifier of QC at FineMolds

beAavWc.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor
26 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

There is a set of different hubs, but the one I seen is on another sprue which also has the part for the spine.  Yeeee, those two round things above right nose section do look like wheel hubs on Sprue S.

So is possible that there are not only 2 versions of the hubs in the range of versions in plans at the moment? 

Here is a view of it under magnifier of QC at FineMolds

beAavWc.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

THANK GABOR!

8 hours ago, GeneK said:

Glad to see that the vertical fin is one piece since the insert in the the long nose Phantom kits is not a very good fit!!

I was pleased to see that as well - I'm disappointed by the fit and would love to see Fine Molds revise the sprues of the long-nose boxings to incorporate a single piece tail.

3 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

There are distinct differences between the USN and USAF hubs. The picture you posted is from the F-4J sprue below, and it shows the inside of the hub (as distinguished by the large hex bolt in the middle). 

Ez8363SVoAASeHp?format=jpg&name=large

The C model sprue will assuredly have different hubs. This is the inside of a USAF hub for comparison:

F-4E_74-1625__Alamogordo__Nov_20___1.jpg

Gene K

5 hours ago, AndrewS said:

I was pleased to see that as well - I'm disappointed by the fit and would love to see Fine Molds revise the sprues of the long-nose boxings to incorporate a single piece tail.

Haven’t I asked for someone else who felt as if they were building a Hasegawa model?

😊

Well, I suppose they listen to the comments?

10 hours ago, AndrewS said:

The reason was very simple for separate parts of the fin. They had to make two version: the "plain" F-4EJ and the fin tip for the F-4EJ KAI version. The optimal solution was to have it in two parts. I am sure the same solution would have been used here also if there were similar differences between short nosed types. 

The extra fin tip antenna for the US F-4E is possible to add as two small parts. It works this way, but for the KAI it was not possible, it is more complex and lets not forget extremely small parts! 

Personally I like the detailed research and planning by FineMolds with optimised brake down to reduce tool costs. Many manufacturers simply dont look into future / into future possiblities of variants, they simply make  a kit as it is and later try to addapt it to other version. I prefer FineMolds approach!

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

I believe congratulations are due to the small but very capable team at FineMolds for the Phantom kit / kits in 72nd scale.

It has just been announced as the kit of the year by Modell Fan.

WDQTmZF.jpg

Well deserved! Congratulations!

Best regards

Gabor

12 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

The reason was very simple for separate parts of the fin. They had to make two version: the "plain" F-4EJ and the fin tip for the F-4EJ KAI version. The optimal solution was to have it in two parts. I am sure the same solution would have been used here also if there were similar differences between short nosed types. 

All understood and kudos to Fine Molds for acknowledging the difference and tooling accordingly. Unfortunately, the execution hasn't matched the intent and for my F-4EJ (so not the Kai) I know that I would be very happy if part P8 (short nose sprue) made its way into the box! When I build the Kai boxing, I might just reach for the box of Hasegawa spares and find a Kai fincap; I wouldn't have minded Fine Molds taking this approach to catering for different versions.

On 4/28/2021 at 3:50 PM, AndrewS said:

... Hasegawa spares and find a Kai fincap; I wouldn't have minded Fine Molds taking this approach to catering for different versions.

I'm with you all the way on that, Andrew. As to the FM rationale for the vert stab insert, all I can speculate is that I dimly recall reading that there are some panel line differences in that area, but I think that was in a thread about the RF version ... sorry I can't offer anything definitive.

The current fin insert is the worst of the three fit areas that I think could use refinement in this great kit (the other two areas being the fit of the top onto the bottom wings, and the spine insert). 

Gene K

On 5/1/2021 at 10:29 PM, GeneK said:

I'm with you all the way on that, Andrew. As to the FM rationale for the vert stab insert, all I can speculate is that I dimly recall reading that there are some panel line differences in that area, but I think that was in a thread about the RF version ... sorry I can't offer anything definitive.

The current fin insert is the worst of the three fit areas that I think could use refinement in this great kit (the other two areas being the fit of the top onto the bottom wings, and the spine insert). 

Gene K

The RF-4EJ has a HF radio antenna built into the leading edge of the vert stab. On the recently released kit this is represented by a thin black line decal.

I would guess that's the difference you are referring to?

Cheers,

Hoops

FineMolds is preparing for Shizuoka Hobby Show with sprues of the would be F-4J, C and D sprues laid out on posters.

C7P58Os.jpg

Here is the sprue with the engine exhaust. : )   : )

fbOCLA6.jpg 

Best regards

Gabor

Little negative comment on the kit. Sorry!

The same “problem” was visible on the earlier F-4E series kits. There is a vent with gills inside it. As far as I can tell on most E versions it is covered with a fine mesh so the actual gills are not really visible. But the “hole” provided in the kit is a little bit too deep in my view. OK most people will simply represent it with adding a drop of dark grey in the recession to represent this area.

But as far as I could see the short nose versions in most cases had the gills visible. I was hoping that for the short nose versions it will be reproduced. There are some far smaller details on the kit authentically reproduced. I feel it would have been both possible and “adding more details to surface detailing” making it a little better. But it is only my private opinion.

aKhww6i.jpg

OFQsNW4.jpg

The photo of the real aircraft is reproduced from the DACO publications book. Sorry if used without authorization.

Best regards

Gabor

14 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Here is the sprue with the engine exhaust. : )   : )

And don't the exhausts look fantastic! I'm very keen to see these... Thanks Gabor.