Finally; a new 1/72 Phantom

Sprues have been made so it was obvious that for the Shizuoka Show some fully built short nose version will be presented with either that special black ink wash to highlight the panel lines or in full colour. But for the second they would also need the decals or at least some test prints for given markings.

What is far more interesting is that a new wing panel was made for these kits. Have a look at the bulges on top of the wing for the main wheel attachment point.

npfJqPO.jpg 

Really look forward to see the fully built test examples!!!

Best regards

Gabor

3 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

What is far more interesting is that a new wing panel was made for these kits. Have a look at the bulges on top of the wing for the main wheel attachment point.

Looking at the display layouts, it doesn't look like any new wings are developed for this kit.

In the top photo of the new sprue layout, the board is divided in half with the previously developed parts on the upper side including the wings.

I've pointed out a section on the lower image where I believe the reinforcement parts for the top of the wing are located on the sprue.

Either way it is another step in Finemolds are taking us in the Phantom journey, and I am enjoying it all the way.

E0hZBqjVoAIWtztedit.jpg

E0hc9f-VgAYfyHdedit_edited-1.jpg

I did say that the “Bulges are added to the wings”.   : )  : )  My statement does include the possibility that no new wings were made and only small bulge parts are added. : )   : )

Yes, you are absolutely right. It is perfectly possible that those two tinny parts are the small bulges for the wings.  

Have to say that I did not really have a look at them. Till there are quality photos of the sprues I did not feel important to start a guessing game on what is what on the new sprues.

Same reason for not posting the image of the new US weapons set from FineMolds with all the bombs. First it is not finished, second from the image little is visilbe of how parts will look like in the end.

Best regards

Gabor

On 5/5/2021 at 5:14 AM, ya-gabor said:

What is far more interesting is that a new wing panel was made for these kits. 

The flashed over holes for reinforced landing gear covers, as well as the other USN add-ons, like the antennas on the wing bottoms and the intake ECM fairings, have always been there since the first issue.

[quote=ya-gabor] I did not feel important to start a guessing game on what is what on the new sprues. [/quote]

Killjoy (haha). I've always enjoyed your and Craig's educated observations and guesses!:hmmm:

Gene K

Edited by GeneK
On 4/13/2021 at 9:14 PM, Dutch said:

...  I have waited 50 years for VMFAT-101 Phantom decals, so what's a few more months!

For others who may be waiting and haven't placed an order for this boxing, note the following FM "urging" to order now  if you want one (rough translation):

[quote] Of the four new products, only the "US Marine Corps F-4J fighter" Marines "" is a limited edition product. The other three types may consider the production of the regular version without a pilot in the future, but this "Marines" is a limited product itself. We do not currently plan to produce the regular version. Please be careful. [/quote]

Gene K

Edited by GeneK
1 hour ago, GeneK said:

For others who may be waiting and haven't placed an order for this boxing, note the following FM "urging" to order now  if you want one (rough translation):

~ this "Marines" is a limited product itself. We do not currently plan to produce the regular version.~

This particular release has different product number than the usual "FP" F-4 releases. Product # 72843, so I wouldn't call their bluff hoping you will see it for sale again.

3 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Good to see those test / show airframes coming along

BmNzQT4.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

Happy my old unit (MIANG 191FIG) is getting some love.

6 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Good to see those test / show airframes coming along

BmNzQT4.jpg

Interesting wing walkway on the foreground C. Not to say it never existed like that but just I have not seen that pattern before.

Me thinks the builder messed up the decals!?!?!

Edited by Craig Baldwin
On 5/8/2021 at 11:03 AM, Craig Baldwin said:

This particular release has different product number than the usual "FP" F-4 releases. Product # 72843, so I wouldn't call their bluff hoping you will see it for sale again.

Hmmm. Good point.  I just ordered me another one.

On 5/4/2021 at 6:32 AM, ya-gabor said:

As far as I can tell on most E versions it is covered with a fine mesh so the actual gills are not really visible.

But as far as I could see the short nose versions in most cases had the gills visible.

aKhww6i.jpg

Here is the best picture I could find online of the mesh covered vent section ya-gabor is referring to, upper right in the photo.

5140165762_3d55c56c19_z.jpg

12 hours ago, Craig Baldwin said:

Here is the best picture I could find online of the mesh covered vent section ya-gabor is referring to, upper right in the photo.

5140165762_3d55c56c19_z.jpg

Yes, this is how it looks like on F-4E's. there is a mesh covering the vent. What is important that it is not a deep recess but the mesh is level with the surface.

BUT on photos of NAVY versions the mesh is missing and the gills are visible. Even finer details have been made on the underside of FineMolds Phantoms so I think it would have been possible to make the gills, but this is really going into really fine details on my part so . . .   sorry for the nit picking.

Best regards

Gabor 

On 5/11/2021 at 12:27 PM, BuNo02100 said:

Are the -Js available for pre-order and if so, who has the best price, including shipping to the US.

BW

Hi,

Yes, the -J's are available for pre-order. I see that at least hlj.com and  1999.co.jp have them available for pre-order. I don't know what would be the best price including shipping to the USA.

HTH, Stefan.

Certainly keeping their options open with the smooth radome, for early C/Ds in service with USAF(and a couple late ANG units) and at least Iran for non-US operators. Not sure how the Korean F-4Ds were configured. For a real early F-4C the weapons set will be needed for the straight inboard wing pylons.

A new Photographic book is out on the Phantom.

To anyone interested in aviation photography the name of Katsuhiko Tokunaga, the author of this book needs no introduction. He is one of the leading aviation photographers today. Just released book Phorever is a pictorial history of the famous Phantom through camera lens of the author with his very special and unique way of showing the fighter.

It is a big format book, of course in full colour with 192 pages on high quality paper.

The book is a pictorial history book of the Phantom and such it gives excellent background images to any modeller from which a lot can be learned on the Phantom in its natural environment and during real operations. Even if it is not an in depth publication with exclusive detail shoots of every rivet and equipment (with modellers in mind), it still gives good ideas on how the real aircraft looks like, and accordingly how a good scale model should look like!  

More about the book for example here:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10767678 

RSzEa93.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

As Finemolds finishes it's work on the short nose F-4 Phantoms for release later this summer, enjoy some great photos and history of the Michigan aircraft featured on the F-4C release. Great references.

Click on the F-4 Phantom tags to direct you to individual posts.

https://oldsargesaircraft.blogspot.com/

Just to get the feel of the book. Here are few sample views of what is inside Katsuhiko Tokunaga’s Phorever just released book on Japanese F-4 Phantoms. It is bilingual with Japanese and English text where it is necessary.

4Up4vzV.jpg

5AvRrwh.jpg

As I have said before an excellent opportunity to see in glorious colour on high quality paper everyday life of the Phantoms both in the air and on the ground. Remember each of those single pages are A4 size.

There is a lot that a modeller can learn of what real aircraft look like in every day operations. There is no nonsense Spanish rubbish playing with colours. This is real life! Something that scale replicas should look like.

Best regards

Gabor

FineMolds work  is on the US weapons set is continuing. Some nice pylons are in making.

Ok47T18.jpg

Qh5qS7M.jpg

Here are some images of built “short nose” version which should be coming our way in August and September.

NXhX534.jpg

C2uTc0w.jpg

k9AshHR.jpg

GhqkxJi.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

39 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

Here are some images of built “short nose” version which should be coming our way in August and September.

"Inspiring". Thanks Gabor.

Looks like the RIO/WSO/GIB should raise his seat.  :whistle:

Gene K