Finally; a new 1/72 Phantom

1 hour ago, madcop said:

Hi Gabor .... if these can help.

Author Lindsay Peacock stated that artworks  were applied on the port sides and that aircrafts of 171st FIS were all wearing a small Apple design in red on the front of the nosewheel door. The nose arts were the work of one Andrew Isola.

CCE150621_0006.pdfUnavailable CCE150621_0003.pdfUnavailable CCE150621_0004.pdfUnavailable CCE150621_0005.pdfUnavailable CCE150621_0002.pdfUnavailable

Have fun 

Madcop.

Hi Madcop,

Good to see you here!!!!!!

There is some problem with the images you have loaded. They are not available to access.

Could you try in a different format?

Best regards

Gabor

Hi Gabor...

Weird, when I double click on those ".pdfunavailable" they open automatically.

Can you confirm ?

If not I'll try something other but not now as I have to leave for the Dentist ( Another kind of modellism, but not that funny ! )

Madcop

58 minutes ago, madcop said:

1630592597_WT82PROF1CCI150621_0001.thumb.jpg.22ea6ec5f8154fd5b2e93d728f7ebfcd.jpg1792173124_W.T.82COVERCCI150621.thumb.jpg.3b6b69258d60b7ee554653b791996c9b.jpg

WT. 82 DEC.  CCI150621_0003.jpg

WT. 82 Text CCI150621_0004.jpg

YES, YES, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Madcop,

This is the one I was talking about!  You are a very lucky son of a  .  .  . 

WOW you have the decals!  I presume you have all the other SAM decals also!!!!!!  Those were the days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back in those times this was (in my opinion) the best aviation modelling publication. Good articles, excellent scale drawings, very interesting writings on colours by Ian Huntley, reviews, every now or then a bonus SAM decal to go with the articles . . . Excellent journalism and editing!  

Scale Models was also good but it had all sorts of other things also. But Scale Aircraft Modelling was sensational!!!!!!!

Thank you so much for posting this!!!!!!!!!!!!  : )  : )   : )  You made my day!

Sorry for the dentist visit, not much fun in that department! : (  : (  But hope it will be OK.

Best regards

Gabor

Hi Gabor.

I am so happy you are so happy.... I have all those little gems from N° 1 untill now..... As for scale models I think I have them all until the 80. I should check in my cellar where they are piled in a big box since 2000...... Remember Air Enthusiast ? with all these german profiles on the "Kits corner or something like that....In French I ve got all the REPLICS and quantity of other French-German-magazines.... as you say those were the days , when people could read and learn  and not only look at images. I also collected all those wonderfull Modeldecals from the late D.Ward that were little books on their own with excellent ( and still excellent) decal sheets.

I'll stop here as at 70 I would have too much to tell.

Do not forget that I can scan....just in case you were in need....just PM me.

Madcop

Hi Madcop,

Thanks again for finding and scaning the article on William Tell! It would have taken me weeks to dig it out.

Thanks again!!!!

Hope your visit to Dentist was Ok.

Stay Safe!

Best regards 

Gabor

A good selection of photos:

https://selfridgeairmuseum.org/product/f-4c-william-tell-final/

and 

https://oldsargesaircraft.blogspot.com/search/label/F-4C Six pack Phantoms (check out the links on the top of the page for more Michigan ANG F-4 Photos).

Madcop, here's the Apple you referred to (William Tell emblem): https://nara.getarchive.net/media/a-judge-observes-a-weapons-technician-as-he-works-on-a-191st-fighter-interceptor-e51597

Gene K

Edited by GeneK
On 6/14/2021 at 12:03 AM, ya-gabor said:

February 1983 issue of Monthly Koku Fan."

Damnit!  I've got a fairly comprehensive collection of early Koku Fan on CD, some 25+ years worth - including all of 1983 - except for that issue!  Like, literally, it seems to be the ONLY issue that I don't have.  😣

Sigh.

FWIW, there's a small piece on the '82 William Tell in the January issue including a pic of an ANG Phantom, but it's a direct profile, so it's impossible to tell what the wing walks look like.  Nothing in the March issue (except a cool model of a proposed Thunderbirds A-10 scheme...)  And there are a few MiANG Phantom pics in the December '82 issue (plus an announcement for some new weapons sets from Hasegawa - those could be useful!) but again, no wingwalks.

Oh, and mostly unrelated, but kinda neat...  the JASDF copied the William Tell apple for some of their air meets - flipping through other years, there's a feature on one of the Japanese ACMs with a bunch of specially painted -104s and Phantoms, and the Phantoms have assorted apples, with various amounts of bullet holes 'shot' in them, painted on their splitter plates.

Edited by MoFo
3 hours ago, GeneK said:

A good selection of photos:

https://selfridgeairmuseum.org/product/f-4c-william-tell-final/

and 

https://oldsargesaircraft.blogspot.com/search/label/F-4C Six pack Phantoms (check out the links on the top of the page for more Michigan ANG F-4 Photos).

Madcop, here's the Apple you referred to (William Tell emblem): https://nara.getarchive.net/media/a-judge-observes-a-weapons-technician-as-he-works-on-a-191st-fighter-interceptor-e51597

Gene K

Thanks Gene , but your link returns a 504 ERROR after a few minutes....

9 hours ago, GeneK said:

Yes, this link is not working. Unfortunately!    : (      : (

The previous 2 links are interesting with some nice details. I like the parachute with the checker board pattern on it! Michigan ANG boys had fun with those aircraft! : )  : )  : )

Best regards

Gabor

Remember some time ago my question about the gills on nose underside? Nice to see that someone somewhere has listened and the small gills have been added to the 2 vents on the nose undersize! Nice touch!   

Here they are on the short nose versions kit part!

6Mdeplg.jpg

Here is the original aircraft

aKhww6i.jpg

And the same part for the F-4E versions. Here the gills should still be there, but there is a mesh covering it.

OFQsNW4.jpg 

Excellent work there!

Best regards

Gabor

Parallel with the Phantoms the US Bomb set is also in making. Bombs, MER's, TER's . . .  Here are first test sprues.

FineMolds:

"This is a test shot of an aircraft bomb set. I think I was able to make the sculpture of the rack and the thinness of the wings look good.
The rest is fine adjustment."

szWCcK2.jpg

HSVpaqq.jpg

DWaOBj5.jpg

Asn6MK3.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

Question for the crowd, since we're discussing Phantom minutiae...  Is there a good overview of which wheel/hub styles were used when/where/on which versions?  I'd like to do some upgrade parts - it's one of the few areas that underwhelmed me on the kit.

On 6/16/2021 at 7:36 AM, Craig Baldwin said:

The first sprues of the C

Large mold parting lines on the Mk82s with fuse extenders? Test shot.

Gene K

pesq7lo.jpg

Edited by GeneK
2 hours ago, GeneK said:

Hi GeneK,

Yes, the photo is visible now. Yesm it is a Michigan ANG aircraft. There is only one small problem with this image. It shows the William Tell 1984 badge   (with closer look on that gear door one can see WT and 84 on opposite sides of the apple)    which was different from the one used for the weapons meet in 1982. FineMolds scheme represents the 1982 paint work. 

The badge for William Tell 1982 is shown on the drawings from that old Scale Aircaft Modelling magazine.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor
17 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Yes, the photo is visible now. Yesm it is a Michigan ANG aircraft. There is only one small problem with this image. It shows the William Tell 1984 badge 

Yes ... the accompanying text (which for some reason you can't view) states

[QUOTE] A judge observes a weapons technician as he works on a 191st Fighter Interceptor Group, Michigan Air National Guard, F-4C Phantom II aircraft during weapons loading competition for the air-to-air weapons meet WILLIAM TELL '84 [/QUOTE]

Yes, here's some more info on William Tell '84, including the Phantoms the 191st flew there:

Yes Man

Edited by GeneK

I was too late to get one of the F-4E Vietnam from the initial batch, but I ordered one from Plaza Japan where they expected to fulfill the order in July. They just informed me that my order has shipped, so I expect to be starting on the kit before the end of this month!😄

On 6/15/2021 at 6:55 AM, ya-gabor said:

YES, YES, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Madcop,

This is the one I was talking about!  You are a very lucky son of a  .  .  . 

WOW you have the decals!  I presume you have all the other SAM decals also!!!!!!  Those were the days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back in those times this was (in my opinion) the best aviation modelling publication. Good articles, excellent scale drawings, very interesting writings on colours by Ian Huntley, reviews, every now or then a bonus SAM decal to go with the articles . . . Excellent journalism and editing!  

Scale Models was also good but it had all sorts of other things also. But Scale Aircraft Modelling was sensational!!!!!!!

Thank you so much for posting this!!!!!!!!!!!!  : )  : )   : )  You made my day!

Sorry for the dentist visit, not much fun in that department! : (  : (  But hope it will be OK.

Best regards

Gabor

Indeed, I always thought SAM was the best modelling magazine.  

On 6/16/2021 at 6:36 AM, ya-gabor said:

Yes, this link is not working. Unfortunately!    : (      : (

The previous 2 links are interesting with some nice details. I like the parachute with the checker board pattern on it! Michigan ANG boys had fun with those aircraft! : )  : )  : )

Best regards

Gabor

Not only that, they brought their own car.

191 FIG Limo @William Tell,1982-Tyndall AFB,FL-Oct,1982 (2).jpg