Finally; a new 1/72 Phantom

On 6/17/2021 at 11:27 AM, GeneK said:

002.JPG.487e41e3434056fb869a77d66aa00aee.JPG

GeneK,

Beautiful photo there!  I find it interesting for a number of reasons, particularly the details that jump out at the viewer upon careful study.  I'd like to point out the yellow & black checkers on the port splitter plate [red oval].  From the angle, I cannot tell if I am looking at the interior (i.e. back side) or exterior surface of the splitter plate.  It really does look like the interior side to me.  If the interior side, the backsides of the splitter plates will require yellow & black checkers as well as the exterior surfaces.  What do you think?  Is it indeed the exterior side and the angle just looks funny because of the forced perspective? 

Kind regards, 

Dutch

Edited by Dutch

Okay, I admit, my eyes are going bad!  Or rather, my eyes are fine, but my mind is going bad!  Maybe a case of both.  So I looked at the photo more closely and determined that the photographer must have used, not a fish-eye lens, but a shorter focal length lens (i.e. not a zoom lens) which makes the angles on the right difficult to compare because the center point of the nose is not the center of the photograph.  After looking at the angles of the lower edge of the splitter plate (see red arrows), it appears that we are indeed looking at the exterior side of the splitter plate.  If we were looking at the inner side, the right arrow would be pointing toward the lower right.  So everyone can stand down on buying two sets of decals so they can decal the inner edge also.  It's official, I am cross-eyed!

002.JPG.4e6b1d7ec4ef833c285f4e629b11139e.JPG

4 hours ago, Dutch said:

It's official, I am cross-eyed!

Maybe I am too, but I can't get my mind to accept your conclusion that the painting, as improbable as it seems, isn't on the inside. Nice riddle, thanks. :hmmm:

Gene K

Edited by GeneK

Here is the photo that was mentioned by Fine Molds which is in the Feb.1983 Koku-Fan. Accept my apologize for the mark up; simple intention of eliminating the CR stuff:

22A990C4-23B1-4A70-B36A-BD9FE8941A67.jpeg

I just received the copy from eBay, hence I can share it now. Sorry for the delay.

Edited by clumsy
Text addition.
1 hour ago, clumsy said:

Here is the photo that was mentioned by Fine Molds which is in the Feb.1983 Koku-Fan. [showing the non-standard wing walkways]

Thanks very much!!  :salute:

Are there other Michigan ANG Phantoms in that issue (is it worth searching for to purchase?)?

Gene K

That is an excellent photo showing perfectly clear that 07 and 10 have the wing walk way in that peculiar shape as illustrated by FineMolds decal.

What was the reason for having it this way is anybody’s guess. It is perfectly clear that 06 and 08 next to 7 and 10 have the standard walk way.

Strange things sometimes can be right. Hats down to FineMolds designers!   

Note that the year is 1982 for the William Tell 82 event! What happened later is a good question.

Best regards

Gabor

GeneK, there is dedicated section of 4 pages with 7 photos for the general view of the respective planes and another set of 7 photos dedicated to some of the nosearts. They are all in colour. Most of the general view shots are for the number 10. IMHO it is a good base for reference. But this is subjective.

Ya-Gabor, I am not that surprised. Please check the wingwalks of the number 06. The end of the line gets close to the fuselage, it does not go straight back as the others. Also the placement of the insignias and USAF stencil on the wings and fuselage shows difference.

All this in perspective makes me think that the quality assurance in those days had not been so much cared about:)))

By the way, the name of Mr. Don Spering from A.I.R is written in the index for the respective section. If someone has a connection with him he might be requested for more help for a higher resolution of the photos.

3 hours ago, clumsy said:

By the way, the name of Mr. Don Spering from A.I.R is written in the index for the respective section. If someone has a connection with him he might be requested for more help for a higher resolution of the photos.

Don Spering passed away in 2017.....

• 2 weeks later...

Test of the test shot : )   : )

FineMolds:

The factory manager is a fresh squirrel
US Army Aircraft Missile Set 2 ('60s-'70s)
https://finemolds.co.jp/FP/FP44.html
Assembly check is underway at T0 (Tee Zero = a tri-shot that is difficult to explain as a tri-shot before the tri-shot).
For the time being, it looks good

ZlffEC1.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

29 minutes ago, Flyboyf18 said:

Has anyone seen kit numbers for the 'short' nose birds??

In August (shortly) the following two “short nose” will be released:

FP43S   F-4J 

FP46S   F-4C

In September these two will follow:

FP47S   F-4D

72843   F-4J

And the new weapons sets to go with them as well as all others: 

FP44            US weapons set / pylons 60-70’s

FP45            US weapons set bombs / pylons 60’s

Have fun! Stay Safe!!!

Best regards

Gabor

22 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

And the new weapons sets to go with them as well as all others: 

FP44            US weapons set / pylons 60-70’s

FP45            US weapons set bombs / pylons 60’s

Weapons sets are scheduled for August release.

Gene K

I finally received the F-4E early (Vietnam) a couple of days ago and was kinda surprised that the kit provides NO ordnance. So we gotta buy the weapons set. I guess that's OK as I became used to that marketing method with the Hasegawa kits. But with limited availability of FineMolds in the U.S. (unlike Hasegawa) and long waiting period for orders from Japan to reach here, this is going to be a long process.😐

On 7/26/2021 at 11:54 AM, Paul Boyer said:

But with limited availability of FineMolds in the U.S. (unlike Hasegawa) and long waiting period for orders from Japan to reach here, this is going to be a long process.😐

Of course the wait depends on how bad one wants a particular kit/kits (meaning how much one is willing to pay for postage). Before the current resumption of EMS and other less expensive shipping options, I selected FedEx and received my first five FM kits three days after they were available from Hobby Link Japan. Shipping was $35 to Florida ... expensive, but I rationalized that was only $7 shipping per kit. :whistle:

Ordering from HLJ using Private Warehouse is a great way to ensure you have a kit available as soon as it's released (providing you placed the order before "Stop Order" is declared). HLJ will notify you when your kit is in your Warehouse, and you then select one of the available shipping options when you are ready to have it shipped. As an example, In August I'll wait until the FM C and J kits, as well as the 2 weapons sets are ALL in my Private Warehouse, and then have them shipped in one package. 

Gene K