Finally; a new 1/72 Phantom

A view of new sprues for the F-4D due later.

Like the engine exhausts!

vWYDMnL.jpg

Now here is the third version of the stabs with out fish tail reinforcement and aero improvement

HlTeXRu.jpg

D specific instrument panels and other bits and pieces

0IOChRH.jpg

Of course the nose parts with different cockpit fuselage sides, nose cone and little visible but new transparent forward windshild part for the short nosed version!

mcIuRLt.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

• 2 weeks later...

So here is the decal for that William Tell bird as well as other F-4C’s in that FP46 kit. Good to see that some of the ideas proposed here based on that SAM publication are included as well as another extra marking which I suggested based on period photos.

It is good to see that there are manufacturers who listen to outside opinions and implement them!!! Other companies only argue, declare any comment as "minor problem", simply dont care. . . 

But this looks good. And of course both versions of the wing walk way are included so dont panic for those who dont like that controversial version!

LhZCtGK.jpg

Look forward to this!

Best regards

Gabor

17 hours ago, MoFo said:

When are the EJ/Kai re-releases due?

The EJ and EJKai were re-released a couple of months ago, along with the F-4E. The EJ and EJKai are still in stock  at HLJ and Hobbysearch, but the reissue F-4E is not in stock at HLJ. I haven't seen any announcements for  re-re-releases. See here for HLJ and here for HobbySearch 1/72 Phantom stock.

wm_cheng said: Are there any good aftermarket PE (cockpit and canopy rails/mirrors/edging) & resin (seats) upgrades for this kit yet? 

See the links above for the Eduard PE and a canopy mask set for the FM kits.  Generic kit mirrors and seat belts are available from Finemolds as listed in the preceding links. Normal sources for Mk.5 and Mk.7 seats.

Gene K

Edited by GeneK
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Manufacturers comment on twitter today:

Mold processing for new products will start.
The product will be announced on September 21st, so please look forward to it.
I want to sell products made in Japan from Japanese manufacturers!
It is a new product with such enthusiasm.

One can read a lot of things into this but the easiest is to see what they will say on 21st.

Best regards

Gabor

It is interesting that FineMolds has changed the box-top art for this F-4D Phantom kit.

Back in the spring this year when the original art work was shown a letter was sent to them pointing out some problems. I made a comment not on the Phantom, but on the MiG-21 which had two wing auxiliary fuel tank on the wing in a combat situation making tight turn in a dog-fight!

The wing tanks in almost all cases are only used for long range ferry flights. But here we are in Vietnam and at war! The MiG-21's were used mainly for point defence where the internal fuel was sufficient. The valuable wing hard points were exclusively for Air to Air missiles. In other WarPack countries in some cases the Migs would have had only the centreline fuel tank (if at all) and used the wings pylons for missiles and bombs. But this is Vietnam and real war!

Also the underside national markings were in wrong position in that original art-work.

ZYX9Boi.jpg

Even though the Mig is only a small tenth rank player on that art work it seems that they listened and corrected the box art to make it more authentic.

From the side of FineMolds there was no arguing, questioning my findings, mud-slinging, calling it irrelevant detail or “minor” mistake and the usual “this is only a box top”. Completely different attitude from the one experienced with Eduard!

rmhkjpd.jpg

Without any comment FineMolds simply changed the art work!

Full credit to FienMolds for such attention to very small detail!!!!!! Even if it is ONLY box-top!  : )  : )

Best regards

Gabor

6 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Full credit to FienMolds for such attention to very small detail!!!!!! Even if it is ONLY box-top!  : )  : )

Amen! Credit to you too.

Looks like the artist also added an ECM pod to the right inboard wing pylon.

Gene K

For some (me included) it is a disappointment that not a soft wing Phantom the next kit, announced today. ( Still have plenty FineMolds F-4E’s to work on but as always hunger for new kits is always . . .)

But from business point of view it is understandable that FineMolds went with the local version of the F-16. It is an interesting bird and most certainly it will appear in many eye-catching schemes and not just a “Grey on Grey” like the US versions.

Speaking of interesting schemes it is not a surprise that later this year and early next two special paint schemes of JASDF Phantoms will be released or re-released based on the F-4EJ and F-4EJ Kai kits.

First the F-4EJ in 82 scheme with lots of stencils on grey rectangle bases

HwWrQXG.jpg

IEWQJyh.jpg

And the Kai from 95

Rd4nV4u.jpg

aBbRwNm.jpg 

I am sure we will see many other versions coming our way of all the other already existing versions both Short nose and F-4E’s in months to come. Based on 2021 year releases I would expect new announcements somewhere early next year so who know we could get lucky with a new Phantom then. By that time work on the F-2 will be finished so I am sure FineMolds designers will have something new to work on.

Best regards

Gabor

As Captain Obvious points out, FineMolds currently produces 1/72 long nose (F-4E, F-4EJ, RF-4EJ) as well as short nose (F-4C, F-4J) Phantom kits. So I've  posted cut files for canopy masks for the long nose as well as the short nose models. These files (.studio3) are for use with Silhouette cutters, but I've also included SVG files that can be used with other cutters like the Cricut ... or one can print the SVGs and cut manually.

I just recently found this excellent  Scale Models Paint Masks site, and think there's great potential there for growth as more foks become aware of it.

Gene K

P.S. I also posted masks for the 1/72 Hasegawa Phantoms, as well as for the 1/48 Tamiya F-4B.

1 hour ago, GeneK said:

As Captain Obvious points out, FineMolds currently produces 1/72 long nose (F-4E, F-4EJ, RF-4EJ) as well as short nose (F-4C, F-4J) Phantom kits. So I've  posted cut files for canopy masks for the long nose as well as the short nose models. These files (.studio3) are for use with Silhouette cutters, but I've also included SVG files that can be used with other cutters like the Cricut ... or one can print the SVGs and cut manually.

I just recently found this excellent  Scale Models Paint Masks site, and think there's great potential there for growth as more foks become aware of it.

Gene K

P.S. I also posted masks for the 1/72 Hasegawa Phantoms, as well as for the 1/48 Tamiya F-4B.

Thanks Gene!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...