Finally; a new 1/72 Phantom

4 minutes ago, bazooka said:

Please, an F-4B.

Sorry.

I am sure if time comes FineMolds will announce what ever they are planning for future Phantoms -if at all.

I did say it will go with the FineMolds Phantom.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

This is to go on sale very soon.  Remember this is 72 nd scale Quinta Studio decal. OK I know that the kit instrument panel looks nice as it is with all raised details.

But . . .

What we don’t get in the kit for example are all the circuit breakers in the after cockpit. I think they are essential and visible items! Raised details on the different panels are exceptional especially in view of the scale. A nice touch is the inclusion of side rail surface details which is all flat in the kit.

Here is a look at the set and also of the built cockpit with Quinta parts applied.

XluqyRt.jpg

3DyMcTc.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

53 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

This is to go on sale very soon.  Remember this is 72 nd scale Quinta Studio decal. OK I know that the kit instrument panel looks nice as it is with all raised details.

But . . .

What we don’t get in the kit for example are all the circuit breakers in the after cockpit. I think they are essential and visible items! Raised details on the different panels are exceptional especially in view of the scale. A nice touch is the inclusion of side rail surface details which is all flat in the kit.

Here is a look at the set and also of the built cockpit with Quinta parts applied. 

Wow!!! Love the look of that. Thank you Gabor.

1 hour ago, wm_cheng said:

Yes!  Are there substantial differences in instrumentation between the E/EJ and the F-4J?  Will this fit the F-4J cockpit or will there be a dedicated set for that as well?

As far as I know they (Quinta Studio) will be making different version of the cockpit set for individual versions. Will they make it for all of them? I have no idea. But I hope so and based on what they did in the past: different versions of cockpits for the exact kit version, it should be the same here two.

I think the biggest problem is in getting hold of the actual kit, which is always needed for the design of the 3D printed parts to be a perfect fit. Dont know when they will have the NAVY versions of the FineMolds kits on hand to do so.

Speaking of differences between the Air Force F-4E and the Navy J version for the cockpits, there are many! But I am sure some more knowledgable Phantom experts will expalin in detail.

Best regards

Gabor 

• 3 weeks later...

Found these on flyteam page. I made an account using Chrome to translate and able to download a larger image than a GUEST view.

Comparing their side profile it appears they are using the 36440 grey as the lighter colour but in the actual photo the grey is much bluer than the paint on the intake ramp?

I will correct myself after examining the higher res image of FM's profiles I see the intake ramp is the 36440 while the lighter blue grey is a different shade. Never afraid to admit mistakes. 

src.jpg

src (1).jpg

Edited by Craig Baldwin

Follow up with 17-8440 taken at the same period. Conclude on colours as you wish. The other aircraft 47-8335 had no photos from this period on flyteam.

These photos could have been scans from slides but don't look to me like from Kodachromes. Possibly Fujichrome which do have a more blue/green hue to them generally.

Added the second photo, same time period but slightly less contrast.

src (2).jpg

8a05f1e2.jpg

Edited by Craig Baldwin
additional photo
1 hour ago, GeneK said:

Which scheme(s) will you be doing?

407 the sharkmouth most likely (I see no reason to limit myself to one build, I'm a dreamer too). Less than a month a way, maybe time to add a few items to the warehouse to fill the box.

Edited by Craig Baldwin
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

With the enormous help of a friend received yesterday the FineMolds F-4C Phantom „Air National Guard” version. At last it is here!!!   : )    : )    : )

It arrived from the MN Modelarz shop and since the total order was over 100 Euros the post was free. The kit itself was 43 Euro which is about the same price as it is sold in Tokyo.

Actually the kits only took 3 days to get to us, with order placed on Tuesday night the parcel was here on Friday morning. OK, before that the kit arrived to the shop in almost half a year from Japan. But if you are here somewhere in Europe then the kits from this shop can get to you extremely fast as soon as they have them!

I did ask them in September and the answer then was that they expect the order with the Short Nose Phantoms to receive in late October From Japan. But just as all deliveries worldwide are delayed so did the delivery of FineMolds goods as well.

nkiedxd.jpg

It is sad that the owners of the shop did not consider stocking up in new weapons sets. I would have been interested in some of them but one has to be glad that at least this kit has arrived. Not only the weapons sets are missing from the shelves of the shop but also two short nose versions also. I think the Vietnam era F-4D would have been a best seller, but who am I to tell. . .

Of course could not just sit and not look what is inside the box. Just took a glance, unfortunately there is no real time to do more than this at the moment. It is interesting to see that some fine tuning of the kit was made since the release of the F-4E versions.

tshycuB.jpg

I know it is not much work (since I did it on my E kit) and it is possible to reproduce the fuel vent on the tail. But here on the short nose versions this detail is made on the kit from the box. Same goes for the vent gills in the forward Sparrow bays. I know on the E versions it had a mesh covering the gills but on those kits just a blank hole was made.

KjsH4eu.jpg

With the kit also came that Nano set of harness for the Martin-Baker seats. This will also be an interesting work. By the looks of them, they provide a much more realistic reproduction of the harness, it is far more three dimensional in comparison with any very flat 2D photoetch belts. But this is only my opinion.  

Few images of the decal sheet.  Nice to see that both the 1982 and 1984 William Tell badges were made as they should be. Remember all the talk we had here months ago about that Scale Aircraft Modeling article with details . . . The badges are microscopic!!!

CCaNcsC.jpg

Sorry the blue (shadow like) line in the star is the fault of the camera, it is not on the decal!!!  Sorry this is the everyday workhorse Nikon and not the true Macro master Sony camera. 

fe4f5KG.jpg

JuAWVWn.jpg

fxOfkP4.jpg

Thanks Pali!!!

Best regards

Gabor

Well the kit could be $30 if you lived in Japan, but with shipping (only available through couriers like UPS, FedEx, DHL) nowadays during the pandemic, that tacks on another $20-30usd and if you live in Canada, there's courier brokerage fees and customs and duties that tacks on another $20-$30.  Mine arrived after $25 shipping + $26 brokerage fee and customs just for a $30 model!

9 hours ago, hemspilot said:

It's about 30 $ from HLJ and Plaza Japan, me thinks you've been ripped off.

Hi Hempspilot,

People are forgetting that the first four kits last summer of the short nosed versions all came with that extra set of Tamiya designed pilot figures resulting in a higher retail price in comparison to the standard FineMolds Phantom kits.

The retail price for these kits with the additional pilot figures in Japan is 4510 Yen

希望小売価格 税込4,510円

which based on todays conversion rate is 39,49 USD.

If ordered from Japan please add to this all the postage and customs costs (as well as 1-2 months of delivery, if you are lucky).

The price of 43 Euro we payed here in Europe with 3 days of delivery, absolutely no postage cost, no customs cost and no new EU postal delivery extra cost. So I consider the total cost of 43 Euro an excellent price!

Best regards

Gabor

7 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

So I consider the total cost of 43 Euro an excellent price!

Congrats on finally getting the kit, and thanks for the excellent pictures.

Yes, the 43 Euro is a fair price ... if you have the patience to wait a half year after release. But for someone more "in need", one could order four or more kits (for themselves and friends) from Japan, and receive them in 3-5 days after release in Japanese shops like HLJ and Hobby Search. Combined shipping would average about 6 Euro per kit. :thumbsup:

Gene K

Edited by GeneK
3 hours ago, GeneK said:

Congrats on finally getting the kit, and thanks for the excellent pictures.

Yes, the 43 Euro is a fair price ... if you have the patience to wait a half year after release. But for someone more "in need", one could order four or more kits (for themselves and friends) from Japan, and receive them in 3-5 days after release in Japanese shops like HLJ and Hobby Search. Combined shipping would average about 6 Euro per kit. :thumbsup:

Gene K

Hi Gene,

I am still in starting stages with my F-4E's so time has nothing to do with this. I am not the type who wants any new release at the very first opportunity or even earlier than that. I know it gives some satisfaction and pleasure for some but not me. More interested in a good kit, at a time when I have time to build them. 

Best regards

Gabor