Finally; a new 1/72 Phantom

18 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

I am not the type who wants any new release at the very first opportunity or even earlier than that.

When you said, "At last it is here!!!   : )    : )    : )", I assumed your new-release anticipation was relieved.  :hmmm:

Looking forward to your builds!

Gene K

23 minutes ago, GeneK said:

When you said, "At last it is here!!!   : )    : )    : )", I assumed your new-release anticipation was relieved.  :hmmm:

Looking forward to your builds!

Gene K

Me too!!!!  : )  : )   : )  There are some things made or prepared but not much really to see.

Sorry for the moment all the work with my ejection seats . . .  So no time really for anything else. : (  : (

Best regards

Gabor

Here are some more images of the new (for me) FineMolds F-4C kit. There are of course new sprues to make the Short Nosed version.

Just seen that not all are here. : (   : (  Sorry!   Will have the rest in few days time.

5TZuCgs.jpg

Apart from the solid plastic sprues on the clear frame there is a replacement windshield to go with the different geometry of the forward fuselage.

SJ0N9RT.jpg

The canopy is not tinted!!!!!!!  It is only the January sun which made it look like this on the photos!  : )   : )

To go with the kit I have also ordered one of those Nano set for the Martin-Baker ejection seats. There are four sprues to make up four ejection seats but you will also get some extra parts to differentiate between alternative lock systems. It is sad that the garters are given as a flat item but of course if you had them in oval or circle shape then there would be no possibility to add all those fine surface details on them. It will be fun to paint the straps! While on the 48th scale version that “ring” on the left shoulder is given as a true ring, here a backing surface was added. After all this is 72nd scale and there are limitation on what the injection moulding machine can achieve. Anyway as a trial I drilled it out and cleaned it with a scalpel. Looks a bit better.  

xYA1W2O.jpg

0xSUzXd.jpg

Now we have three versions of the stabilizers in FineMolds inventory. From here on a lot of combinations can be made. It is unfortunate that only in Japan can one order separate sprues on their own from the maker. I would certainly have few ideas on what I would like as extra here at home!

eb745UR.jpg

Stay Safe!!!!

Best regards

Gabor

9 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

The canopy is not tinted!!!!!!!  It is only the January sun which made it look like this on the photos!  : )   : )

Thanks for mentioning that, Gabor! I did wonder if there was some tint to the plastic when I first saw your photo, but you've successfully reassured me! I think I'd like to see some of your January sun at the moment; mine's a bit ouchy burny at the moment!

cheers,

Andrew.

Here are some other sprues for the F-4C Phantom which I forgot the first time around. Actually only the engine exhaust sprue M is new. The wing tips were already used in the Early E version. Just like with the stabilizers, there are now three different wing tip versions in FineMolds range to do some cross kiting.

EWu5HqJ.jpg

The engine exhaust show an even better detail both inside and outside in comparison with the F-4E engine exhaust from the earlier kits. Parts look really exquisite for the scale.

702k4Fz.jpg

gBGaAyw.jpg

The bonus set in the first release kits of the Short Nose versions are the Tamiya designed pilot figures. They are nice. But I have to say that I was after this particular decal sheet for the ANG versions at that 1982 William Tell meeting. So have no idea what will do with the pilots, although there is just something here that I most certainly will try.

: )  : )

vv3WT3Y.jpg

The part that I really like are the different ejection seat straps in the Nano set NA10. WOW there is some really fine detail there (what can you expect from a FINE Molds company, sorry, could not resist it)

NwpzLzU.jpg

One has to remember that all this detail on straps in 72nd scale. One can see the stiches.

I did give it a try and it is possible to do some more bending and twisting of these parts to make them really look fabric like. I know there are some photoetch parts, there are even painted photoetch but they are all flat and not easy to work with, paint chips off, and look very strange . . . There is the Quinta version of printed straps, which could be OK but not really what I am looking for. On the other hand all the instrument panels the Quinta way are superior to anything else. I know others are also trying the 72nd scale 3D printed instrument panels but most have failed and decided to stick to larger scales only.

I know the Nano set is extra and one has to buy it separately but it does look very nice!

Of course nothing is perfect. Had a look in the box and one of the disappointments was the nose cone. Not exactly a short shoot but the tip of the cone looks strange as if the molten plastic stopped short at the very end. OK, nothing great and it will not make the kit unbuildable, but . . .  A bit of superglue and some sanding will make it better. 

Not really visible on the photo but wonder if it is the same with others who have this kit or other Short nose versions.

2oc566e.jpg

Stay Safe!!!

Best regards

Gabor

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, GeneK said:

New decals and great box art. FM is on an Iranian kick ? - https://www.finemolds.co.jp/FP/72936.html

Gene K

Simple, it is something different from the usual schemes.

The fact that they still have the Tomcat operational is something else. But for the moment I look forward to this F-4D. I did not get the first release, simply since it wasnt interesting for me. But did buy the F-4C.

This time I should get this Iranian version of the D. Look forward to it!

Speaking of the Iranian IAF, would love to build a MiG-29 with that Eagle head on the tail. It looks very cool!

Best regards

Gabor 

On 4/13/2022 at 12:07 PM, ya-gabor said:

Simple, it is something different from the usual schemes.

Yes, and that dynamic box art should help sell out that "limited release".

Something else somewhat unusual is the deployment of Snakeyes in a climbing bank --  as the boxart apparently shows.:hmmm:

Gene K

Edited by GeneK
  • 3 months later...
On 4/13/2022 at 3:58 PM, GeneK said:

New decals and great box art.

Gene K

Great box art?  Why is an Iranian Phantom bombing NASA's Neil Amstrong Flight Research Center at Edwards AFB??

1 hour ago, pollie said:

Great box art?  Why is an Iranian Phantom bombing NASA's Neil Amstrong Flight Research Center at Edwards AFB??

And todays winner of Identify the Background test

is:

Pollie!

Z4G1ugm.jpg

Wow!

What was the FineMolds artist thinking?????????????????

I still like the paint scheme!

Best regards

Gabor

5 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

What was the FineMolds artist thinking?????????????????

I recall @ya-gabor pointed out errors in the original D box artwork. And the J artwork, the aircraft looked to be headed nose down at very low altitude.

Glad the artwork doesn't represent the quality of the contents of the box.

19 hours ago, pollie said:

Gene probably meant the Phantom itself as well as the snakeyes being dropped.  Not the background.

An interesting twist to the story. On 1st August the following box art image was uploaded on FineMolds page with the text saying:

The image of the top surface of the package and the completed sample has been uploaded! The completed sample is made by our president as usual (laughs)
Comes with Iranian Empire and Islamic Republic of Iran era markings.

pcIDJud.jpg

What you can see now is that the background buildings on Edwards have received a sand coloured veil over them. It is still there but it is now hard to recognize anything from the area. : )  : )  So is it PC now???

The big bro is watching the forum! : )  : )  : )

Best regards

Gabor 

Edited by ya-gabor
10 hours ago, JackMan said:

Gene probably meant the Phantom  [art] itself as well as the snakeyes being dropped.  Not the background.

Thank you Jackman (and I pointed out the artist's "unconventional" tactic of tossing Snakeyes). 🤓

Gene K

On 8/1/2022 at 9:23 PM, ya-gabor said:

And todays winner of Identify the Background test

is:

Pollie!

Thank you Gabor! What did I win? Having worked about a kilometer down the road from the NASA compound for a year and half is what made me recognize it instantly.

Strange choice by FineMolds, but that doesn't affect the high quality of the kit fortunately...

And I am eagerly awaiting them to do an F-4G Wild Weasel!

1 hour ago, pollie said:

Thank you Gabor! What did I win? Having worked about a kilometer down the road from the NASA compound for a year and half is what made me recognize it instantly.

Strange choice by FineMolds, but that doesn't affect the high quality of the kit fortunately...

And I am eagerly awaiting them to do an F-4G Wild Weasel!

You win a strong hand shake!!!!!!!!!!!!!  : )  : )  : )        Lucky you for having worked there!!!  Envy you!!!!!!!!

Yeah, but as you can see they (by chnace???) made correction to the box art making it more Politically Correct. (Although I am sure the original country of operation would be more than pleased if this was a representation of a real event. While the "receiving" side would also be happy since based on that illustration those bombs would go into the desert)

The FineMolds plastic is the best Phantom you can get at the moment. There is no question abotu this.

Have to agree about the F-4G but also if they did a good late F-4E with a new wing!!!!!! 

Unfortunately (for us) if one follows what FineMolds is doing / tooling up at the moment it is very far from aviation. Nice and interesting but not aviation. So when will they do the next step (if at all) in the Phantom family is a very open question.  : (  : (

Best regards

Gabor

3 hours ago, Tomcat Trebor said:
The above Tweet translated is about new items to be announced in Autumn. Hopefully another Phantom variant.

If you got all that from what you posted, I commend your sleuthing!

Gene K