Finally; a new 1/72 Phantom

I know it has nothing to do with the F-4 Phantom. But it has a lot to do with the way minds behind FineMolds are thinking. I like the idea!

They are releasing a mortar (1/35 Ground Self-Defense Force 120mm Mortar RT) and on the sprues there are some strange things. Well actually they used the sprue (which basically serves its purpose after the modeller cuts parts from it and is destined for the bin after that) as a template. For correctly setting up the tripod of the mortar one can use the specially made holes on the sprue to set the legs of the tripod at exact distance.

Very nice idea and innovative!

lYd2piy.jpg

DgAt6VP.jpg

YY8r4qJ.jpg

wBwe4CA.jpg

Dear FineMolds,

Now how about some news on follow up F-4 Phantoms??? Like for example an F-4E with the late wings???????

Best regards

Gabor

It is a great idea in my opinion, but of course everyone have different thinking of what is good or not.

Here a dead material in the form of the sprue is used as a template to help modellers in building a stand with exact angles of the legs. Of course one can have pages of instructions with explanation of how it should be built with drawings and all. But this is a smart idea!

Actually if one looks at the new kit there is something else too here. It is always difficult to produce with injection moulding a tire which has the threads on it. Companies have tried different solutions. One can use slide mould technology to make the tire. It is extremely costly tool making and needs very precise alignment of the tools and even then there will be a rib where the tools meet.

For example Zvezda with the Su-25 made a main tire where the running surface is produced in two parts to which you add the side walls and the tire hub.

There are companies who simply don’t care and provide a plain surface, if you want to do with it something then go ahead.

FineMolds tried something different. The tire has a wavy thread on it (like most truck tires). Now how do you make this???

Here is what FineMolds has said about this on their site:

New product 1/35 Ground Self-Defense Force 120mm Mortar RT w/ Heavy Tractor Test shot assembly check

5 parts are used to make 1 tire.

I wanted to reproduce the tire pattern with plastic, so I'm glad it worked out well

Yes it is a little complicated by looking at it, but the end result is perfect! Of course tooling costs are higher, but what are your priorities? In this case they wanted to make a tire which looks exactly right.

One has the central part with the hub to which you add a part with thread on both sides and finally the side walls from left and right. There are location pins to make it more exact.

How do you make this?

qSJ1que.jpg

How do you make this in this scale??

BVh0Nrd.jpg

Here are the parts which make up every tire

fnfAK2M.jpg

And here is the production tool. OK it takes some space but the parts make up into a nice tire with fine details!

PLppzA5.jpg 

Why is it interesting here? It shows a company which has a little bit different way of thinking when solving problems.

Lets hope similar novel ideas will be implemented in future Phantoms also (or other kits)!

Best regards

Gabor

1 hour ago, ya-gabor said:

Why is it interesting here? It shows a company which has a little bit different way of thinking when solving problems.

An excellent example of when the president of the company is actually a model builder himself and cares about quality! After completing my second FineMolds kit, the F-2A, I can where they have tried to get as much detail and accuracy into every part.

To add to your post, Craig:

(Using Google Translate)

F-4J: Antenna for the late J added.

F-4C: No mention of new parts.  (As reflected in the lower price than the J).

"Details will be announced at the #All Japan Model Hobby Show 2022 on October 1st and 2nd.

Release for both kits is  in January 2023.

I wish FineMolds would quite milking the "old" molds and get to the slatted versions! I hear your AMEN Gabor!

Gene K

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2022 at 8:35 AM, Craig Baldwin said:

A new DXM sheet for B/J/N in 72nd. I have ordered directly from them and delivery time was good.

Service from DMX to the US has also been great (for me 1 1/2 weeks).

However, I can't find a link on the DXM site to this new sheet ... yet.

Gene K

3 hours ago, GeneK said:

Gene K

It's not on the website yet, but it is on their Facebook page.

29 minutes ago, Hoops said:

It's not on the website yet, but it is on their Facebook page.

3 hours ago, GeneK said:

My error, the announcement from this image stated it is a near future release.

Craig

Here are a couple of screenshots taken from a video of the FineMolds president talking about new models to be shown the forthcoming Tokyo model extravaganza at the end of the month. Most certainly not Shigeo Koike quality, but the F-4J art is passable ... the distorted F-4C, however, not so much! :crying2:

Gene K

1897004164_FMF-4CArt.png

FM F-4J Art.png

Edited by GeneK
2 hours ago, Craig Baldwin said:

This Saturday, October 1 at the All Japan Model & Hobby Show 2022, there will be a new product announcement by FineMolds. Anyone hopeful like myself wishes for the RF-4 release.

Probably a tank accompanied by a scantily clad anime gal with big ...

eyes.

Gene K

• 10 months later...

Many around the globe have voiced a desire for FM to eventually produce an RF. Well, my friend John Huggins is ahead of that "WANT" - see his fine FineMolds RF build here on ARC.

My hope is that FM does a thin wing F-4B next, and subsequently uses that wing for an RF-4B/C. Then we need a slatted wing F-4E followed by a small mod to get the FM F-4G ... and RF-4E.

Sounds like a plan to me. :salute:

Gene K

• 3 months later...

For anyone still interested in the Phantom. 

Just found this video walk around of 301. As far as I could tell from the YT data it is fairly new, posted just a month ago. 

There are some nice details shown in close up. I know this is a very special airframe, it is taken special care . . .  Still worth looking into the cockpit, colours, details, RBF's and how clean it is!!! Welth of colours, not just ONE GREY interior colour! 

No pre-shading, no post-shading here! This is the real metal!!!  Modellers should learn a lot from such a close look!

Best regards

Gabor 

Probably the best Fine Molds Phantom build I've seen on YT. By a Japanese modeler:

6-part split video series:

Or the whole full build in 1 video:

I can't believe how awesome his black-basing weathering technique is. Especially for the lighter green of the SEA camo.

Enjoy!