CD48184 - 1/48 CH-53

CD48184 will be a 1/48 sheet dedicated to the twin-engine earlier variants of the CH-53 Sea Stallion, intended for the old Revell kit which will be reissued later in the year. There will be markings for USAF Super Jolly Green Giants in both wartime and post-war schemes, Navy RH-53Ds, possibly some USMC CH-53A/Ds. The 1/48 sheet will consist of only US options, but I will consider adding foreign options for a future 1/72 version. 

Kursad, would you consider throwing on a Pave Low or two on to the -53 sheet for those of us that have the Cutting Edge/Cobra Co conversion?  Lack of decals has been keeping me from tackling this conversion.

thanks!  🙂

Tried for years to find a Super Jolly when flown in SEA which had any kind of nose art or name and never have seen one.  However would be nice if you included one wearing SEA camoflage, specific serial number  80357.  Aircraft apparently wore standard SEA camo and standard markings with USAF and serial on tail with aircraft number on nose 557.  This aircraft is a historic aircraft as it was the command aircraft for the Ton Say POW rescue mission called Operation Kingpin.  The Aircraft was designated Apple One during the raid and this raid was also the only time that the A-1E was that far north into North Vietnam.  This airframe continued to serve the remainder of the war and returned stateside.  It was flown during Operation Desert Shield and also also flew the last operation combat mission by an MH-53M Pave Low IV in Iraq.  During Iraqi Freedom this aircraft was nicked named Magnum and had some unusual markings, according to crews working on the aircraft, the number 357  painted and repeated in a gray almost the same gray as the dark gunship gray on the top of the aircraft where it could not be seen from the ground, as well as the name Magnum painted on a removable panel.  The name Magnum refers to the serial 357 and the caliber of the gun carried by Dirty Harry.  This aircraft after the last mission was flown dirt and all to the USAF Museum where it sits today.   

Foreign users include:

German HEER & Luftwaffe

Austrian Air Force

Israeli Defense Force / Air Force

Mexican Air Force

Iranian Navy (Imperial & Islamic Republic)

Civilian users include:

DOT & NASA [As noted in the "Possible New Topics" thread with photos. ]

Heavy Lift Helicopters 

CH-53DN68HL.jpg.14d0c7b3b182196fe2a96f06e45c6a54.jpg

Edited by Dutch
Add NASA

MH-53J markings are a great idea; and I will include them. I looked everywhere for any possible markings on Eagle Claw aircraft, but these seem to be completely devoid of markings prior to the operation. However, I will include markings for HM-16 helicopters on Nimitz that eventually were repainted for the operation.

2 hours ago, Corey said:

Speaking of historic operations, I was going to mention the Eagle Claw aircraft, but now looking at photos, from what I can see, they carried zero markings?  

I think I've seen photos with one single black digit on the RH-53D nose relative to their calls sign.  Bluebeard 1-8.  It's really small.  Some seem to have had the nose gear door removed prior to departure.

Rick L.

Edited by Spruemeister
correction

Cool! I still have an Airfix 1/72 CH-53 in my stash, I was always planning to do an early HEER (German Army) aircraft, but maybe the decals will make me do otherwise. Or you will issue some great german markings, since I don´t think that the original decals are any good now.

HAJO

Yet more great news Kursad. I have 3 of the 1/48th kits in my stash and built one already in 1/48th in that beautiful Israeli camo scheme. I have plans for a USAF one so your sheet should be great.

Too bad you are not considering a 1/48th foreign operators sheet as my all-time favourite is the Iranian Navy. It has that wonderful tri-colour blue scheme like their Orions. You did the F-27 in something similar. Their CH-53 also has a large crest on the fuselage and that makes it even more special I think. I may have to break down and build it in 1/72nd if you do include that scheme.

Have a look

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Iran-Navy/Sikorsky-RH-53D-Sea-Stallion-S-65A/1545240

How about Marine Corps CH-53A/D markings in the gray/green/black scheme from the 1980s?

HMH463CH-53D.jpg

CH-53D-AL-3.jpg

http://nambp.org/wp-content/gallery/ch-53d-sea-stallion/CH-53D-AL-3.jpg

CH-53D-AL-1.jpg

http://nambp.org/wp-content/gallery/ch-53d-sea-stallion/CH-53D-AL-1.jpg

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/military-unit/HMH-772

Ugh... Photobucket is really annoying!

Edited by John B
5 hours ago, KursadA said:

MH-53J markings are a great idea; and I will include them. I looked everywhere for any possible markings on Eagle Claw aircraft, but these seem to be completely devoid of markings prior to the operation. However, I will include markings for HM-16 helicopters on Nimitz that eventually were repainted for the operation.

MH-53J Euro one scheme Or overall grey scheme? 

6 minutes ago, achterkirch said:

MH-53J Euro one scheme Or overall grey scheme? 

All of them if I can find space and the stencilling for the two schemes are not very different.

Edited by KursadA
On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 2:18 PM, Spruemeister said:

I think I've seen photos with one single black digit on the RH-53D nose relative to their calls sign.  Bluebeard 1-8.  It's really small.  Some seem to have had the nose gear door removed prior to departure.

Rick L.

Yes, from what I've read Eagle Claw RH53's were stripped of all markings prior to the mission and repainted overall desert sand.  Only a small 4" or 6" number appears below the pilots front window, next to the avionics access panel.  It is visible in many photos online.  Seems like any digit from any decal number sheet would work.....No great need to have that scheme designed.

• 2 weeks later...

I received my Revell CH-53 kit today - what a nice kit for its age. I have never seen the plastic before, and I did not know it came with a pretty cool jeep and howitzer. The jeep looks like an M38A1. Maybe I should include markings for it, too - what markings would be appropriate for a USAF or Marines M38A1?

Edited by KursadA

In my opinion, the Jeep that came with this kit is junk.....Too toy-like, lousy wheels, simplified body, very little detail.  The howitzer is pretty nice, but I've never kept the Jeeps.  (I have 2 of these CH53's in my stash right now.)

That said, if you do decide to add some USAF Jeep markings, I would keep them yellow to go with the USAF standard vehicle scheme of navy blue with yellow lettering.

Just a thought.

Rod. 

On 4/14/2020 at 2:58 PM, aircal62 said:

Magnum refers to the serial 357 and the caliber of the gun carried by Dirty Harry

Sounds like a pretty interesting helicopter to include, great suggestion.

But didn't Dirty Harry carry a .44 magnum?