CD48184 - 1/48 CH-53

I am almost done with the design - the pipeline for the last three months are pretty full (Nov/Dec/Jan releases are already being printed) , so it increasingly looks like it will be an early 2021 release. I will release the 1/72 version at most a couple of months after the 1/48 one.

Just now, coneheadff said:

It says that it will be a re-release of the G/GS version. Back in 2002 it had both sets of blades

Yeah I know I have a couple of each version, I didnt know what version was being rereleased though. The G/GS is listed on ebay for £90, might put mine up and see if I get a bite 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hajo L. said:

I´m just realizing that in 1/72 there is NO set with decals for a SEA HH-53C Jolly Green Giant!

HAJO, Not even MS72-444? Or Printscale 72-134? Or Wolfpak 72-051?

Edited by Dutch
2 hours ago, Hajo L. said:

I´m just realizing that in 1/72 there is NO set with decals for a SEA HH-53C Jolly Green Giant!

HAJO

2 hours ago, Hajo L. said:

HAJO

The Fujimi, Airfix and Italeri and Bilek kits all come with HH-53C decals for the SEA scheme

Yes, they do, but I´m not sure if the markings reflect an actual aircraft stationed in Thailand during the timeframe of the war. Markings are for Woodbridge or Alconbury, and usually from the late 70ies or early 80ies. 

Ah, just checked: The Italeri-kit seem to have markings for an aircraft from Phu Cat in 1970. 

HAJO

15 hours ago, Hajo L. said:

Yes, they do, but I´m not sure if the markings reflect an actual aircraft stationed in Thailand during the timeframe of the war. Markings are for Woodbridge or Alconbury, and usually from the late 70ies or early 80ies. 

Ah, just checked: The Italeri-kit seem to have markings for an aircraft from Phu Cat in 1970. 

HAJO

One  up the Son Tay raiders ended up in England during the early 80's.

I'll check and see what tail numbers went where in the next day or so

I wonder if they kept all markings etc. on these birds after they left SEA. The Airfix-kit (I have two, one of them nearly finished as a MH-53J) comes with the "5785" tailnumber, but according to the "Pave Cave", that bird was not one of the "APPLES". 

HAJO

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I too am eagerly awaiting these decals, as the old Revell kits I have the decals are very bad.  I am building quite a few of the CH-53A/D's right now for fellow Marines and I am running out of decals.

The tri-color cami are the hardest to come up with.  Mostly all black modexing/stencils etc.  Hard to find.  The gray/gray low vis scheme is out there for the Academy CH-53E, and a great set from Wolfpack and MAW Decals too.

But my 53 stash needs decals, so like the high gloss green decals?  Microscale did those back in the 80's.  they did USAF, USMC, and USMC HMX-1 presidential sets.  The Israeli sets were included as well.

Here is a a 1970's CH-53D I am doing for a fellow Marine.  "Ugly 07"  HMH-362, YL-07.  After SEA back to gloss Marine Corps Green with high vis markings.  This is one of (2) sheets I have left to do the high vis 53A/D's.  Upgraded the old 1985 Revell Rotorhead from a elastomeric rotor head to the "wet head" that originally came on the 53A/Ds.

IMG_2013.jpg

IMG_1935.jpg

1 hour ago, YF65_CH53E said:

The tri-color cami are the hardest to come up with.  Mostly all black modexing/stencils etc.  Hard to find. 

But my 53 stash needs decals, so like the high gloss green decals?  Microscale did those back in the 80's.  they did USAF, USMC, and USMC HMX-1 presidential sets. 

Yes, yes, yes!!!!!

In 1/48 and 1/72 we need both high gloss delivery scheme and gray/green/black Land Scheme USMC H-53D and E decals.

Although from the lack of photos,  it seems the Es were in the gray/green/black Land Scheme for about one afternoon before everything went to gray.  😄