CD48184 - 1/48 CH-53

The extra star and Suez 84 badge are simply there because I did not want to break up the symmetry - no need to overthink it :-). The instructions will state that only one is necessary. I originally wanted to provide one smalll star with yellow border but now tend to believe that modex 488 had yellow borders on the big stars too - so the sheet has only markings for 489.

There will be space for VR-24 when I get around to downscaling this to 1/72, but I am not sure when it will happen : the downscaling queue is a long one.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, fasteagle12 said:

What kits are available for these markings?  I have a CH-53E but not a twin engine bird in 1/48. 

Revell / Revell of Germany has the 1/48 CH53.  It was recently re-released and has all options for the German Army version (box top illustration) plus the US versions (parts not shown include the EAPS, different rotor blades and maybe some other parts).

51 minutes ago, Rod D said:

Revell / Revell of Germany has the 1/48 CH53.  It was recently re-released and has all options for the German Army version (box top illustration) plus the US versions (parts not shown include the EAPS, different rotor blades and maybe some other parts).

Rod, Quick question. Does the latest Revell GMBH #03856 CH-53 GS / G retain all the original CH-53D / G parts? The instruction sheet parts layout page shows only four standard (early) rotor blades and six new blades.  Also, what of the older USAF style smaller auxiliary fuel tanks with the angled fins? Just curious. K/r, Dutch

Revell-GMBH_03856_CH-53G-GS_Parts.thumb.JPG.ba41b6d8074eaffbc64e242b5521d4e1.JPG

Edited by Dutch

This is an older mould and I really doubt it has sprue gates etc. to omit the unused parts during moulding. I have the older Revell CH-53GA boxing (no. 4834) with only German markings and it seems to have all of the parts needed to build the USAF/Navy variants covered in this decal sheet.

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

Rod, Quick question. Does the latest Revell GMBH #03856 CH-53 GS / G retain all the original CH-53D / G parts? The instruction sheet parts layout page shows only four standard (early) rotor blades and six new blades.  Also, what of the older USAF style smaller auxiliary fuel tanks with the angled fins? Just curious. K/r, Dutch

1 hour ago, fasteagle12 said:

Dutch,  Kinda my question too.  Can you build the birds from the decal sheet using this kit as it is?

I'm not familiar with the kit or its different boxings - but this site shows all of the parts along with the same instruction sheet that your posted section comes from, Dutch: https://www.super-hobby.co.uk/products/CH-53-GS-G.html

Edited by andyf117
6 minutes ago, andyf117 said:

I'm not familiar with the kit or its different boxings - but this site shows all of the parts along with the same instruction sheet that your posted section comes from, Dutch: https://www.super-hobby.co.uk/products/CH-53-GS-G.html

Yep,  the site shows it all, but someone with the US version would need to do the comparison using those instructions. 

4 minutes ago, fasteagle12 said:

Yep,  the site shows it all, but someone with the US version would need to do the comparison using those instructions. 

Looks like its all still there, just a lot more flash now.  Interestingly, the M38 Jeep and 75mm gun are still present, including the windshield on the clear sprue!  

Oh BTW, Academy has announced a release (re-pop) of the Fujimi 1:72 CH-53D kit with USMC markings.  Available later this year.  This kit has the USAF F-105 style tanks and optional IFR probe.  Luckily, ResKit provides correct RH-53D external tanks, IFR probe, and even folded tail bulkhead and folded rotor head.  No provision is made in any kitted H-53 for the RH-53D mine hunter, so you may have to rob the mirrors and trapeze from a Italeri MH-53E or hope one of the 3D printers makes a proper RH-53D conversion set.

When it rains, it pours!  😊

Reportedly, Italeri was supposed to be releasing an updated 1/72 CH-53E last year but I've yet to see it. I've got 3 different versions of the H-53 in 1/72 scale but haven't been able to find an E.  I'm hopeful that 1/72 sheets will be released sometime soon. 

Interestingly the parts diagram Dutch posted doesn't match the sprue.  They omitted 2 of the original, older blades from the diagram.  This is the sprue from the kit, albeit an earlier Revell version, with all 6 original square rotor blades.  As Kursad said, it is not likely Revell would have gated off those parts.  Probably just a designer's decision not to show them all, since they are non-essential to the version offered.

SDC17928.JPG

15 hours ago, fasteagle12 said:

Reportedly, Italeri was supposed to be releasing an updated 1/72 CH-53E last year but I've yet to see it. I've got 3 different versions of the H-53 in 1/72 scale but haven't been able to find an E.  I'm hopeful that 1/72 sheets will be released sometime soon. 

The CH-53E is in the 2022 catalogue

https://www.italeri.com/en/article/793 

All,

I have built a few dozen of the Revell 1/48th scale kits over the years. Working on the CH-53 my whole career I can say I am a "critic" of the kits offered in both 1/48th and 1/72nd.  But, thats the way it is and you can build almost all the versions of this aircraft in either scale, depending on what you are willing to kit bash to get there.

The major drawback for the USAF rotorheads, is the Revell kit does not have the "early" tip tanks, nor do they include the struts to do early HH-53B's. You can build a pretty nice YCH-53A, (remove the elephant ears, or dorsal fins by ramp), CH-53A, CH-53D, RH-53A, RH-53D, and a USAF TH-53A, if you have the conversion kits in 1/48th you can build a nice MH-53J/M PAVELOW.  The German Revell kit has some very nice antennas and other ASE gear that applies to some of our USMC, USN, USAF 53's, not a lot but its there.

In 1/72nd scale, you have plenty to choose from to build a lot of the variants.  Italeri, MPC, Airfix, Fujimi, Testors, all have various tip tanks, ResKit provides everything else, however you still need to build the struts from the bat wings to the fuselage to be correct.  But, the tip tanks are mostly out there in 1/72nd scale depending on exactly the T/M/S you are trying to achieve.  Lots of options and lots of aftermarket decals out there as well.  (Not as nice as Kursad...but they are out there).

I think between Jukub, Andy, Dutch, a couple other contributors over on the H-53 refence page there are enough pics to get you to a decent model.  

Accuracy: IMHO, which is just mine, soooo, in 1/72nd the Italeri MH-53E, MH-53J, and CH-53E are very accurate to the real aircraft, and with the skill represented with in these forums I am sure some very nice 53's in this scale will emerge with the new decals coming out.

1/48th scale, the Revell kit has its issues.  The bat wings on the old release are very poor, as well as the aux tanks.  The new German Revell has much more correct batwings and the aux-tanks are close.  ResKit again to the rescue with their tanks, but no-one has a 100% correct set of batwings.  The Academy MRC CH-53E has very good batwings, and if you're brave enough to kit bash that kit, you could put them on the Revell kit easily.  Remember, the Batwings and the 650 gallon aux tanks on the USMC/USN CH-53D's, late RH-53D's and both Navy/Marine CH-53E's are the exact same.  The Airframes Change (AFC) incorporated the same part numbers, with very very minor differences.  The rotorhead on the Revell 1/48th has A LOT WRONG with it.  if I could afford, or the Marines I am building for want it, I would put the ResKit rotor head in  every time.  It (the current kit) is suppose to represent the Elastomeric Rotor Head, AKA "Dry-Head" that the Marines had starting in the late 80's.  And eventually all "Wet Heads" were phased out by both the Marines and the USAF PAVE helos.  The dry head is lower maintenance and does extremally well in the desert environment.  You can modify the kit rotor head to a wet head by trimming off the nubs of each of the root ends of the rotor blades, before cementing the beanie ring on.  Lots of pics out there of a CH-53 wet head vs a dry head.  The elastomeric rotor head is so good it is back with the CH-53K!!  Again, the ResKit rotor heads in both 1/72nd and 1/48th are just great!!

I have a lot of build pics if anyone is interested.  I am no where near most of you, but I take a lot of pics during my builds and if I can help I would love to.

Thanks again Kursad for the decals!!!

Cant wait!!!!!!!!!!

Ohh Rah, 

Gunny Dan

On 1/20/2022 at 5:11 PM, YF65_CH53E said:

I have a lot of build pics if anyone is interested.  I am no where near most of you, but I take a lot of pics during my builds and if I can help I would love to

Gunny,

I would look to see them and I am sure others would as well. I have one each 1/48 Delta and Echo. The Delta will come of this sheet. Leaning towards the Reserve opfor bird. 

Edited by Tank
  • 2 months later...

I think many of you will really like this set - I had the decals for the last couple of weeks and expect to start shipping them in mid-April once the instructions are done. I am going to send a copy to Gunny this weekend (I am sure he doesn't need instructions) so he can give us an initial review here. The USAF set is coming in the May/June timeframe.

navych53a.jpg

navych53b.jpg

navych53c.jpg