Hasegawa 1/72 Grumman F-14A+ Kai Tomcat

My 2nd build of 2020 is my take on Shin Kudo and Edgar Laselle's F-14A+ Kai that appeared in the anime Macross Zero. I mixed and matched the parts from the Hasegawa F-14B 'Super Tomcat' kit using screencaps as reference and modified some generic pilot figures to model Shin and Edgar. Decals are from a Chinese seller on eBay.

This was a time consuming build but I'm liking the results. All comments welcome!

More pics and a build report on my site > https://www.rocketpunch.biz/completed-hasegawa-f14kai-tomcat/

works-hase-f14kai-splash.jpg?w=1280&ssl=

works-hase-f14kai-13.jpg

works-hase-f14kai-01.jpg

works-hase-f14kai-07.jpg

works-hase-f14kai-14.jpg

works-hase-f14kai-19.jpg

That is gorgeous! 😍 Wonderful in-flight display. Marvellous weathering. Had a look a the WIP on your site. Love the modified pilots. Also cool to see a non-standard missile fit. :thumbsup:

On 4/17/2020 at 10:54 AM, viperbite said:

Very nice!

Whoa... coming from you, that's very high praise! 😄

On 4/17/2020 at 11:28 AM, ChernayaAkula said:

That is gorgeous! 😍 Wonderful in-flight display. Marvellous weathering. Had a look a the WIP on your site. Love the modified pilots. Also cool to see a non-standard missile fit. :thumbsup:

Thank you sir! The AMRAAM is technically fictional but I believe the prototype Super Tomcat did carry it.

On 4/19/2020 at 3:14 PM, Thadeus said:

Very nice Tomcat. I always liked how they introduced it to the Macross Zero, like a natural transition to VF-0.

Yeah! Unfortunately the Tomcat got totally owned by the SV-51. Heh...

jesTer,

Amazing results in how the model progressed through the build process. A lot of things

done right, too many to mention. But, besides the attention to details... the painting and

markings are exceptionally rendered and accomplished. Asking for curiosity, how long

does the Oil paints used for weathering remain on the model, before you wipe it down?

I've never use them before, but I'll be trying some of your techniques, on future builds.

Photos by jesTer

49811340042_691810413d_b.jpg

49811045681_02fb43f515_b.jpg

49811048071_086c3f8fcc_b.jpg

8 hours ago, The Underdog said:

jesTer,

Amazing results in how the model progressed through the build process. A lot of things

done right, too many to mention. But, besides the attention to details... the painting and

markings are exceptionally rendered and accomplished. Asking for curiosity, how long

does the Oil paints used for weathering remain on the model, before you wipe it down?

I've never use them before, but I'll be trying some of your techniques, on future builds.

Photos by jesTer

Hi. Thanks for the kind comments.

I'm impatient so I don't leave the oil wash there for more than 5-10 mins. So long as it looks dry I'll deal with it. Some folks wipe with a dry towel but I use a paper towel that's damp with odorless thinner to help it along. Then the nooks and crannies are dealt with cotton buds that are again damp with thinner.

HTH

Edited by jesTer
On 4/24/2020 at 10:25 PM, SakisG said:

Very beautiful Tomcat!

Thank you sir!

On 4/25/2020 at 7:03 AM, Milo said:

Fantastic build!  I've got a set of those decals as well.  Maybe I'll get around to building it one day.  Hopefully, I can do as nice of a job.

I liked the dogfights in that show, the story was pretty convoluted but the action was great!

Macross Zero Dogfight

I think the new Academy kit might be an easier and faster build. Agreed on the plot, but anime are usually more convoluted and melodramatic than they ever need to be 😄