Apollo 13 was 50 years ago

I listened to the "real time" replay on https://apolloinrealtime.org/13/ last night for about three hours.  Listened to all the mission control troubleshooting chatter it was amazing.

You can listen to the "current" transcript or jump to flight milestones.  The tank explosion is at 55:55 GET which was at ~10:07 pm central time.  

Ken ... I envy you. IIRC the names in the back row are Glynn Lunney and Sy Leibergot, however the guy on the right escapes me.

Front row is Gene Kranz, Jim Lovell and Fred Haise.

Last year I had the opportunity to meet Charlie Duke from Apollo 16 and it was a real thrill ... thanx for sharing your pix Ken!

habu2, I've only listened to snippets of that event ... thanx for the link ... I have a little more on my hands and shall give it a listen!

I just enlarged your image Ken and see the guy on the right is Astronaut Jack Lousma ... :thumbsup:

Pete

Yes, it was exciting and an honor to meet those men.  I had the distinction of annoying Jim Lovell, I think. 

He was sitting down to dinner at that event and a friend wanted a photo with him, and it seemed he grudgingly agreed to it, and was a little annoyed that we caught him at that time.  They had been in a different area earlier for photos, but not surprisingly, he had a crowd around him so that was the first opportunity we had.  After I took a photo of my friend with him, I decided not to push my luck and get a photo with him my self.

Here's a shot of me with Gene Cernan from that event:

IMG_1181.jpg

3 hours ago, K2Pete said:

Ken ... I envy you. IIRC the names in the back row are Glynn Lunney and Sy Leibergot, however the guy on the right escapes me.

That’s Jack Lousma, CAPCOM at the time of the tank explosion, and future Skylab and STS-3 astronaut. 

"I've always believed mankind's greatest achievement was landing men on the moon,

and safely bringing them back home to the Earth."

If that is true... then Apollo 13 and what transpired during that mission, and more so

what everyone involved was able to accomplish in bringing them back home, has to

be right-up there with all the successes NASA has been able to celebrate. Apollo 13

was called a, "successful failure" by Lovell. The public response to this accident has

been repeatedly called, "NASA's finest hour" - and to this day, its still viewed that way.

William R. Compton, in his book about the Apollo Program, said of Apollo 13... "Only

a heroic effort of real-time improvisation by mission operations teams had save the

crew." I say, kudos to 'FLIGHT' (Gene Kranz) and his fabulous team for embracing the

attitude, "failure is not an option" on our watch and saving their lives!

The Underdog

49774623587_62df81c2b6_b.jpg

Apollo 13 Command Module in Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center - Hutchinson, Kansas