F-4C Clarification Needed

Hello All,

I'm planning to finish an old 1/48n Hasegawa F-4C that I have, using the kit's markings for the Hawaii ANG 154TFG 199TFS "Aloha Alert" Phantom however, I was wondering if anyone knows if the specific Phantoms had the triangular reinforcement plates on their horizontal stabilizers or, not.

On 14 April 2020 at 4:49 PM, SERNAK said:

Many thanks for your help guys. I will add them on both sides.:salute:

They were upper only in the 1970s.

Around 1983 or so the stabilator centreline rib and attach bulkheads were reworked and under TCTO 1F-4-1348 a stabilator lower reinforcing doupler was added (slightly different shape to the upper ones). Most F-4s had both or lower only from then on.

Somebody (can't remember who) makes sticky peel off metal foil reinforcing plates for upper and lower stabs. 

HTH

Tony

Hi Tony,

Hasegawa doesn't mention a year in the decals' instructions page (though it does for Richie's aircraft) so, I'll take a wild guess and say that the one depicted in their sheet is from the 80s (Hawaii ANG 154TFG 199TFS "Aloha Alert", Hickam AFB). By the way, I have already copied the upper plate and I'm ready to glue it to the lower surface of the stabs however, you're saying that it's not the same shape? Any pictures?

Edited by SERNAK

I just had a look at Bert Kinzey's book, 'F-4C Phantom II post Vietnam markings' and on page 34 it has a photo of the Phantom that Hasegawa is offering (F-4C-20-MC 63-7647). The date that is mentioned is August 1980 so, the aircraft did have on both areas the reinforcement plates.......?

Cross Delta do them in 1/32... confusingly they do three styles...

http://img.luckymodel.com/default.aspx?item_no=CX-CD32003

And another set are included in the Tamiya 1/32 F-4EJ release, if you go to a site where all the parts are on view. Maybe too subtle to worry about in 1/48 scale.

HTH

Tony 

3 minutes ago, SERNAK said:

I just had a look at Bert Kinzey's book, 'F-4C Phantom II post Vietnam markings' and on page 34 it has a photo of the Phantom that Hasegawa is offering (F-4C-20-MC 63-7647). The date that is mentioned is August 1980 so, the aircraft did have on both areas the reinforcement plates.......?

Probably just on the upper sides.

Tony 

heya!  I can post some Charlie model pics of my dads on tuesday.  I'll see about getting all the tail shots.  he flew the C around 1964-67? 

cheers!

can you indicate what area you are talking about in a pic example?  I've got squadron pics... inflight examples.... it would help.

eta: ahh you got what you needed already?  cool.  His best story told to me came from this time about the first mig shootdown for the Air Force since Korea and the first SAM shootdown in the same month of July '65.

Edited by Bounce
8 hours ago, Bounce said:

heya!  I can post some Charlie model pics of my dads on tuesday.  I'll see about getting all the tail shots.

That would be nice so, I can see what short of weathering I will have to apply.

22 hours ago, Bounce said:

I'll paste what I have for ya,  cheers.  Sorry there's not much here for Weathering / walk around shots.

10325185_10203257694135683_2526468746373

Many thanks Bounce for posting the photos. As Gene K said, they are treasures!!!

I noticed on the far right F-4C that the radome had a coat (primer?) of red paint, underneath the black. I have also seen this on F-104s. Nice detail to add on a future project!

Edited by SERNAK

Here are a couple more of Bounce's pics that I "manipulated" a little. First, here's his Dad in working clothes:

JwQBT5R.jpg

and in his working steed:

DTMQ8Nz.jpg

Thanks, George.

Gene K