Shuttle Tydirium color match

I am currently working on the old MPC Shuttle Tydirium, and I was wondering what color gray(?) would be a good match for the exterior. I mainly use Model Master enamels, but I can buy another brand/type of paint to use. It also appears that the other Star Wars ships were painted the same color in the movies (Snowspeeder, X-Wing Fighter, Millenium Falcon). Is that a valid observation?

Larry

From what I've found in my quest for Star Wars colors is that Tamiya spray can Insignia White (Tamiya AS-20 Spray Insignia White (USN) 3 oz TAM86520) is a pretty good match for a base color on a LOT of their ships. I've read somewhere what paint they probably used but I think it's an out of production paint line.It's a very light grey color and I've used it on my Millennium Falcon build and after weathering it looks pretty spot on in my eyes. The good thing about it also is that being a good lacquer paint, any weathering you do can be wiped off pretty easily if you go overboard or make a mistake.

Hope that helps.

Bill

13 minutes ago, niart17 said:

From what I've found in my quest for Star Wars colors is that Tamiya spray can Insignia White (Tamiya AS-20 Spray Insignia White (USN) 3 oz TAM86520) is a pretty good match for a base color on a LOT of their ships. I've read somewhere what paint they probably used but I think it's an out of production paint line.It's a very light grey color and I've used it on my Millennium Falcon build and after weathering it looks pretty spot on in my eyes. The good thing about it also is that being a good lacquer paint, any weathering you do can be wiped off pretty easily if you go overboard or make a mistake.

Hope that helps.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for that info. Since I don't plan on weathering my model, I think plain white might be too light. It's going to be a birthday present for my son. He & his wife both love all thing Star Wars, and I have a few more old kits to try to finish for him. I have been trying to find a very light gray color, but they all seem a tad to dark.

Larry 

6 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

Hi Bill,

Thanks for that info. Since I don't plan on weathering my model, I think plain white might be too light. It's going to be a birthday present for my son. He & his wife both love all thing Star Wars, and I have a few more old kits to try to finish for him. I have been trying to find a very light gray color, but they all seem a tad to dark.

Larry 

Well, its not really white, it's actually a light grey. They call it white because I believe it's designed to represent the weathered underside of a 70's era white bottom USN jet. It's a pretty good match for the Star Wars ships with a very slight tan-ish tint to it. Almost creamy grey...

Edited by niart17

Well, it definitely looks like a light gray color, not pure white. I probably will order a can of it to test it first. If it looks good after it dries, I can get some more, to cover all my Star Wars models. The other plan I had was to get a bottle of flat white, then add a few drops of flat back and test the color. I could keep adding black until I got a perfect (to my old eyes) match.

Larry

On 4/14/2020 at 10:57 AM, niart17 said:

From what I've found in my quest for Star Wars colors is that Tamiya spray can Insignia White (Tamiya AS-20 Spray Insignia White (USN) 3 oz TAM86520) is a pretty good match for a base color on a LOT of their ships. I've read somewhere what paint they probably used but I think it's an out of production paint line. It's a very light grey color and I've used it on my Millennium Falcon build and after weathering it looks pretty spot on in my eyes. The good thing about it also is that being a good lacquer paint, any weathering you do can be wiped off pretty easily if you go overboard or make a mistake.

Hope that helps.

Bill

Bill,

I just purchased the Millennium Falcon Perfect Grade kit, and really appreciate this

Tip, even though it was intended for Larry. I kept thinking and wondering what was

the best color-match for painting the Falcon, and will use the Tamiya AS-20 Spray

Insignia White as you have suggested. If you'd like to share any other tips & advice,

they will be greatly welcomed.

Thanks,

The Underdog

14 hours ago, The Underdog said:

Bill,

I just purchased the Millennium Falcon Perfect Grade kit, and really appreciate this

Tip, even though it was intended for Larry. I kept thinking and wondering what was

the best color-match for painting the Falcon, and will use the Tamiya AS-20 Spray

Insignia White as you have suggested. If you'd like to share any other tips & advice,

they will be greatly welcomed.

Thanks,

The Underdog

Here is a pretty good resource for tips on painting the Falcon. this video (part 1 of I think 4) is about the 1/48 scale Diag Falcon but the tips and advice are transferable. While maybe not the absolute best authority, he certainly does a good job and one can benefit from his advice. 

And oh yeah, here is a good resource for pics of the studio model. I'm fairly certain these are confirmed to be the actual 32" filming model  sorry I mean these are the 5' model and not a replica.

http://www.3dscifi.com/reference/starwars/MilleniumFalcon/index.html

Here are some of the 32" Empire model

https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/studio-millennium-falcon-from-star-wars-identities-sydney-2019.300722/

Hope this might help.

Bill

Edited by niart17
1 hour ago, niart17 said:

niart17 wrote:

Here is a pretty good resource for tips on painting the Falcon. this video (part 1 of I think 4) is about the 1/48 scale Diag Falcon but the tips and advice are transferable. While maybe not the absolute best authority, he certainly does a good job and one can benefit from his advice.

And oh yeah, here is a good resource for pics of the studio model. I'm fairly certain these are confirmed to be the actual 32" filming model  sorry I mean these are the 5' model and not a replica.

http://www.3dscifi.com/reference/starwars/MilleniumFalcon/index.html

Here are some of the 32" Empire model

https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/studio-millennium-falcon-from-star-wars-identities-sydney-2019.300722/

Hope this might help.

Bill

Bill,

Thanks so much for the additional information, on painting and detailing the Millennium

Falcon Bandai model. It's amazing the differences between the two models from the two

videos. I'd purchased 2 cans of the Tamiya AS-20 Insignia White (Gray), will need to buy 2

more to have plenty for painting the model. I'll be trying to replicate the paint-job on the 5

foot studio model, as I like it better than the smaller one. And, seems like I have my work

cut-out for me, but its gonna be a fun project as I've always wanted this model in my 1/72

scale Space collection. Thanks again for taking the time in sharing this extremely helpful

information, very much appreciated!

Sincerely,

The Underdog

True, but seeing a color and then translating that to a model paint color match isn't always easy to do and can get expensive trying out different variations depending on how close to "accurate" you want to be. If people have already done the research and comparison for you then that's at least a big head start in the right direction. 

• 1 month later...