Dragon Saturn 1B in 72nd?

The first stage tanks look strangely segmented with horizontal lines and the SIVB looks like the Saturn V version. 

edit: I’m not convinced the images currently online are of the actual kit

Edited by habu2
  • 2 weeks later...

Found a few more renders.  Looks like the segmentation might be some exaggerated weld lines.  

The rest of the first stage doesn't look too bad but it does seem a little rudimentary.  Fins look ok ... aft heat shield looks ok ... the outboard H1s aren't canted ... stringer counts look suspect ... the whole S-IVB looks to be the same as before ... APS units are from the S-IVB 500 series ... don't see any sep motors on the S-IVB.

Not horrible ... but you'll have a fair share of updating to do if you want it to be accurate. 

dr11022_1_1400x.jpg

dr11022_3_1400x.jpg

Given how Dragon designed the Saturn V kit I fully expect the S-IVB and Apollo to be identical to the parts included in the Saturn V kit.  Only the first stage and interstage will be new. 

I wonder if they will include an LM even though the LM never flew on a manned S-1B launch.

I'm just happy to see the struts below the fins, accurate stringer patterns on the boat tail, and what appears to be visually accurate dimensions. It's workable.

I'm with you Hotdog, I am encouraged by what I see. I have enough resources and references to fill out all the lumps and bumps on this bird. If I can do it on an Estes/Semroc 1/70 flying rocket kit (which used combinations of cut cardboard and sanded balsa for its lumps and bumps) I can certainly do it here. 

I'm not too worried about the anemic J2 engine on the S-IVB as the majority of my rockets tend to stay stacked when on display anyway.

Now if we could just get Horizon to release a 1/72 Gemini Titan the availability of 1/72 manned launchers (injection kits) would be complete!  

I would also like to see Horizon do a new Agena “topper” for their Atlas kit. Seems like a no-brainer...

I am pretty sure a Gemini Titan is next in the cards from Horizon. In addition to Agena, Horizon could also potentially do a Project Fire Atlas, which tested a sub-scale Apollo capsule heatshield design. I only ever read about it in one book and it sounds fascinating.

This is absolutely spectacular news-been wanting a 1/72 Saturn1B since Dragon did the 1/72 Saturn V! I'm hoping Dragon eventually also does the booster that carried the lunar module into earth orbit to test its capabilities-Apollo 5-AS204.It would be great to see Dragon Include the test lunar module as well!

Edited by Modelfan1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/16/2020 at 10:00 AM, habu2 said:

Just saw this pic of a "batted" H1 engine on collectspace. That's Deke Slayton and the S-1B for his Skylab mission (AS-210)

potw051620a.jpg

Deke's flight was the 1975 Apollo Soyuz ASTP flight, not Skylab. But this is a great reference photo of an H-1 enging.

Thanks for sharing,

Steve Sliger

Greenwell Springs, LA

Edited by Bo105flyer
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Pre-ordered one myself from cyber-hobby.com - always wanted to build a Saturn IB as my old man was Officer Of the Deck (OOD) aboard USS Hornet (CVS-12) during the AS-202 capsule recovery off Wake Island in August 1966.  Dad's got some good stories about this recovery and recently did a write-up on it for the USS Hornet Sea Air Space Museum.

Hadn't heard a peep from Cyber-Hobby folks in months so I followed up - guess I now have a "partial order" in bound from China which might have this long overdue kit.

-Scoobs

• 4 months later...

Still no word on the release date for this kit. :crying:

I also got some related bad news today, publication of the announced Haynes manual covering the Saturn 1B has been canceled.  I've had that on my Amazon wish list since it was announced.  :crying:

The loss of the Haynes manual is really bad news.  I was very much looking forward to getting that.  I've had it on pre-order from Amazon for a while now, fortunately no money has changed hands.  I hope they change their minds sometime in the future and publish it.