Dragon Saturn 1B in 72nd?

I had read that Haynes planned to stop publishing their printed books, moving to an e-book format. I assumed the S1B book was essentially done (announced back in 2019) and would be one of the last printed volumes. With Baker as the author this certainly would have been a valuable resource. 

I have not read anything to indicate an e-book version of the S1B book is planned. 

• 3 weeks later...

From a thread on collectspace.com, the author of the Saturn 1B book will be releasing this book (and others) through a different publisher now that Haynes has left the game.

from http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/003606.html

The author, David Baker, has posted this in a space modeling group:

I write as author of 17 Haynes titles (of 120 books published to date since the mid-1970s) and of the prospective Saturn I/IB and Lost Missions books to update folks on this forum. These titles were in contract with Haynes when they decided last November to pull out of book publishing. No, nothing to do with COVID-19 as it all happened as a result of being taken over by a French company more than a year ago; more to do with a change of strategy for them to focus on their core business. Publishing was only one small part. We do wish them well.

Delighted to say that the Saturn I/IB book has been taken over by Crecy Publishing as has the Lost Missions book. That will be out later this year. In addition, I will be doing a Saturn V book for them (out by Christmas) and all three will be two to three times the size (but not two to three times the price!) of the original Haynes titles. So, one step back, two steps forward. Each book with have a bigger format too so images/drawings, etc will be larger on the page. Good news for modelers' eyesight!

And by the way, there is in fact a huge market uptake for space subjects, as folks will see during this year and the following, with lots of interesting projects emerging from different publishers...

A win-win!!

• 1 month later...

Announcement of the S1B book with new publisher, again on collectspace:

from http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/003758.html

The Saturn 1/1B Rocket: NASA's First Apollo Launch Vehicle
by David Baker

In this eagerly anticipated book, renowned space historian and author David Baker turns his attention to the Saturn I and IB rockets. Although often considered as merely a 'stepping stone' from the Mercury and Gemini programmes to the mighty Saturn V and the Apollo missions that put the first humans on the Moon, the Saturn I and IB rockets actually played a far more significant role in NASA's manned space effort.

As the first American 'heavy lift' rocket, Wernher von Braun's Saturn I traced its lineage right back to his WWII V2 rocket, through Redstone to the Jupiter and Juno projects that lead to the Saturn vehicles. In describing this often-overlooked historical background, the story of the transiti on of the space programme from the US Army to the (then) newly-formed NASA, and the evolution from launching men and satellites on modified missiles, to flying purpose-built space rockets, is also uncovered.

The first Saturn I flew in 1961 and it remained in service until 1975, flying the first manned Apollo mission, testing stages for the Moon flights and launching 'Skylab' astronauts amongst other accomplishments. Illustrated throughout with NASA technical drawings and photographs, many previously unpublished, this absorbing book also includes a description of each mission flown by the Saturn I and IB.

19 hours ago, habu2 said:

Announcement of the S1B book with new publisher, again on collectspace:

from http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/003758.html

October, bummer.  I suppose he has to do a major rework to get it out of the Haynes format into however Crecy's titles look.  This may give me an excuse to keep my shelf queen RealSpace build of the IB Block II on ice.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

habu2,

I've had the Saturn IB on preorder with Culttvman since it was announced.  I figure I'll be lucky if it comes out by the end of the year.  I'll be ordering the book as soon as it is available.

• 6 months later...

Well I got some not very encouraging news today, an email from CultTVman notifying me I now have a $25 store credit (the amount of my pre-order deposit).  While not explicitly stating so, I assume this means they have given up on the Dragon Saturn 1B kit.  :crying::crying::crying:  Also no word on whether I was still on the (now-whimsical) pre-order list.....

Also noticed the link to kit announcement on dragonusaonline.com is now 404 and the main URL redirects to cyber-hobby.com  :hmmm:

I received an email from CultTVman prior to the credit email that explained that he was returning everyone's deposit.   He also noted that Dragon USA which is where he gets the kits, no longer seems to exist and no other distributor is currently able to get the kit.  However, it is still listed by Dragon in Hong Kong but he has no way to get them. He did say that if another distributor picks up the kit he would look at getting them and would alert us.  I did notice that my pre-order is still in the system, minus the deposit.

On 1/26/2022 at 9:12 AM, as205 said:

I received an email from CultTVman prior to the credit email that explained that he was returning everyone's deposit.   He also noted that Dragon USA which is where he gets the kits, no longer seems to exist and no other distributor is currently able to get the kit.  However, it is still listed by Dragon in Hong Kong but he has no way to get them. He did say that if another distributor picks up the kit he would look at getting them and would alert us.  I did notice that my pre-order is still in the system, minus the deposit.

To my knowledge, this kit hasn't even been issued in the Asian market at all. It does appear that Platz is offering some of the previously issued Dragon kits, but I don't anticipate they will issue a kit this large given they tend to stick with small scale subjects.

10 hours ago, as205 said:

Jay,

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it had been released in Asia, only that it was still listed as upcoming there.

No worries. About the only one who is likely to get the shaft on this is Rick Sternbach since he went ahead and did an aftermarket decal sheet for the upcoming kit and had a production run done. They just weren't released yet pending the kit coming out. Hopefully there are enough customers with Semroc and Apogee 1/70 Saturn Vs out there to make purchases should the Dragon kit be well and truly toast.

I think it will eventually come out, but it could be awhile with things on the international fronts getting a bit "interesting".

Well, I'll be buying at least one set of Rick's 1/72 Saturn 1B decals when they come out.  I've got it on pre-order.  I don't see any reason to cancel it as long as there is a chance, however slim it may be, for the kit to be released.

On 1/29/2022 at 9:11 AM, as205 said:

Well, I'll be buying at least one set of Rick's 1/72 Saturn 1B decals when they come out.  I've got it on pre-order.  I don't see any reason to cancel it as long as there is a chance, however slim it may be, for the kit to be released.

I just got a "notice" last night that the 72nd 1B decals are available.

I purchased a set. I have the Martins Models resin IB to build so I guess

I can go with that. I had already purchased the 72nd scale Saturn 1B desk

model. It looks tiny next to the 72nd Saturn V!

Cheers....Ron

Sad to see this pattern repeated by Dragon/Cyber-Hobby. Several years ago they announced a late-configuration 1/700 kit of the carrier CVN-65 - which has been direly needed by ship modelers and Enterprise fans for years.  They seemed to be close enough to release to show sprue shots and box art, then suddenly the release date was pushed, then pushed again, then left indefinite with no formal cancellation or other explanation.  Even more frustrating, one of the related companies did release a pre-built model of the ship (supposedly die-cast, and at a ludicrous MSRP) that seems to be the only version that may ever make it to the general public.  So watch for a Saturn IB display model to be released, if you can't wait forever for the kit that sadly may never come.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...