Super Scale decals rant

I am posting this to vent my frustration after trying to use Super Scale decals this morning and having them disintegrate before my eyes.

The sheet, an 1/32 Alabama ANG F-16 with a nice red tail. I expected the large one piece tail decal to be a challenge, but nothing I couldn't handle. I was careful,  the surface was glossy and I even followed the decal preparation instructions, but what happened? The thing broke up before I could even get it off the sheet, so badly in fact that there is no hope of putting it back together. Not learning my lesson I thought I would try the other side, but first cutting the large decal into smaller sections. Did that work, no, was it worse, yes.

Before giving up completely I thought I would even try some of the other decals from the sheet, fuel tank decals to be precise. Same result, they suck too but this time did not conform to the curve of the tanks.

What annoys me the most is that I wasted 7 pounds on this rubbish when I could have brought decals from manufacturer that although they don't have the subject I want, I have had a good experience with their decals in the past. Super Scale really should give me a refund.

Rant over!

I understand your frustration but I’m not so sure Superscale is to blame.  How long have you had the sheet? and where did you get it? From an online retailer? or on eBay?  Those sheets were printed at least 15 years ago (modeling madness reviewed them in 2005)and you have no idea how they were stored during that time. 

Sheets do age. Leading Edge makes some excellent stuff, high quality. But if they have aged they too fall apart. Any decals I use (over ten years old) I always test a small decal first. If they don't work right I cover the decal in Decal Save from solvo set. Even then I have had the occasional decal fall apart.

Add ANOTHER coat of decal save in that case and go.

1 hour ago, DONG said:

If I'm using an old sheet I spray it with a clear coat then try a small decal first . 

What clear coat do you use? Enamel or acrylic?  Thanks. 

David 

I use Tamiya X-22 acrylic and it worked fine. I've used on an old Superscale sheet and a new sheet from RONIN decals from Australia. The RONIN sheet had a note in it that the sheet didn't get clear coated at the manufacturer so I sprayed the sheet with Tamiya X-22 and they worked fine.

Don

5 hours ago, habu2 said:

I understand your frustration but I’m not so sure Superscale is to blame.  How long have you had the sheet? and where did you get it? From an online retailer? or on eBay?  Those sheets were printed at least 15 years ago (modeling madness reviewed them in 2005)and you have no idea how they were stored during that time. 

I brought it from Hannants about 1 year ago.

Lesson learned it guess. Learned a lot from this thread too.

If you can see a decent sheen covering images it likely has intact carrier film, but as said always best to test first.

AND re-coat whether with brush coat or spray soon before applying so new carrier doesn't dry too long.

I thought i'd get the jump and coat all images once, found several hours passed, coating dried too much.

I have to agree with everyone here.  It isn't really the manufacturer.  It's more on the age of the decals and how they were stored.  I had a set of Fightertown decals for an S-3 Viking.  The decals were absolute garbage.  Like your decals, mine utterly shattered into unsalvageable slivers once they came off the paper backing.  I've had it happen with other brands as well.

1 hour ago, ElectroSoldier said:

I use that Microscale liquid decal film. Its just about the only thing its good for. Paint a think coat over each design and allow it to dry then apply as normal.

Just because you bought it a year ago it doesnt mean it isnt old. 

Right, the liquid decal film works fine even if years old.

Just stating that application of it onto the decal best within 20 min.

of applying the decal to kit as bottle instructions say since it can dry too much next day, etc.

Sometimes, the decal printer will send out a bad sheet or two. I had a bad set of sheets from Begemot. Took forever to release from the backing paper and then would shatter. I contacted them and they replaced the whole set for free. They stated that the sheet must have had bad decal paper. So, bad sheets happen. If they are a sheet current still in production (I guess doubtful with Super Scale), then you can usually get replacements.

5 hours ago, Mstor said:

Sometimes, the decal printer will send out a bad sheet or two. I had a bad set of sheets from Begemot. Took forever to release from the backing paper and then would shatter. I contacted them and they replaced the whole set for free. They stated that the sheet must have had bad decal paper. So, bad sheets happen. If they are a sheet current still in production (I guess doubtful with Super Scale), then you can usually get replacements.

I had that happen with a Polar Lights sheet. 1/2 the sheet had zero backing. I am going along fine on the top half, hit the bottom, WTH?

Polar Lights was cool and had a new sheet in my hands in about a week. They just wanted photo proof.

As many have suggested I also use either an acrylic gloss clear varnish to somehow 'seal' it or, Microscale's liquid decal film (sprayed but you can also use a medium-size flat brush of good quality).

It is a fact that Microscale and Superscale decals tend to 'crack' into small pieces, particularly those sheets that are 15plus years old.

Good luck with trying either approach and let us know how it went!

On 4/15/2020 at 5:53 AM, Alternative 4 said:

I brought it from Hannants about 1 year ago.

In that case, go back to Hannants with your complaint. If it was less than a year ago, they should replace it as being unfit for purpose under UK law. If its more than a year, try asking nicely.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2020 at 6:15 PM, Alternative 4 said:

I am posting this to vent my frustration after trying to use Super Scale decals this morning and having them disintegrate before my eyes.

The sheet, an 1/32 Alabama ANG F-16 with a nice red tail. I expected the large one piece tail decal to be a challenge, but nothing I couldn't handle. I was careful,  the surface was glossy and I even followed the decal preparation instructions, but what happened? The thing broke up before I could even get it off the sheet, so badly in fact that there is no hope of putting it back together. Not learning my lesson I thought I would try the other side, but first cutting the large decal into smaller sections. Did that work, no, was it worse, yes.

Before giving up completely I thought I would even try some of the other decals from the sheet, fuel tank decals to be precise. Same result, they suck too but this time did not conform to the curve of the tanks.

What annoys me the most is that I wasted 7 pounds on this rubbish when I could have brought decals from manufacturer that although they don't have the subject I want, I have had a good experience with their decals in the past. Super Scale really should give me a refund.

Rant over!

I went through 3 sheets of SS before I gave up. Some pieces are tough as nails but some just fractured if you try to move it. They are old decals (15 years or more) so I try to stay away from now on if I can. Dai