Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums

Thommo

Next Frazetta Project (1/48-1/35ish)

Recommended Posts

Looking forward to seeing what you'll be able to come-up with. Spaceship design, figures

(Warrior Girl) has to be included and the overall composition of the diorama.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, The Underdog said:

Looking forward to seeing what you'll be able to come-up with. Spaceship design, figures

(Warrior Girl) has to be included and the overall composition of the diorama.

 

I still had five 1/35 girls left over from my last Frazetta attempt, so needed another one with the girl as the central character.  I'm working on her now - much more plastic surgery required than the last one, including serious breast enhancement!  My wife thinks my constant babble about that aspect is pretty amusing.  I'm not going to be able to modify the plastic of her eyes to look oriental though. My wife has suggested doing it with makeup shapes which is a good plan.

 

I'll try to put in a few of the soldier figures (modify 1/48 pilot figures?  Buy some 1/35 soldiers to modify?  Don't know yet) and scratch build at least 1 spaceship.  Would love to have the city in the background, but a bit tricky on a base that, like the last one, will only be about 20cm in diameter.

 

I'll do a build video at the end (assuming I get there!), so not many progress pics till the end, but for now, here is a little progress pic on the Moon Maiden figure (that is what Frazetta named his painting). 

 

xxOKvPE.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Thommo said:

 

I still had five 1/35 girls left over from my last Frazetta attempt, so needed another one with the girl as the central character.  I'm working on her now - much more plastic surgery required than the last one, including serious breast enhancement!  My wife thinks my constant babble about that aspect is pretty amusing.  I'm not going to be able to modify the plastic of her eyes to look oriental though. My wife has suggested doing it with makeup shapes which is a good plan.

 

I'll try to put in a few of the soldier figures (modify 1/48 pilot figures?  Buy some 1/35 soldiers to modify?  Don't know yet) and scratch build at least 1 spaceship.  Would love to have the city in the background, but a bit tricky on a base that, like the last one, will only be about 20cm in diameter.

 

I'll do a build video at the end (assuming I get there!), so not many progress pics till the end, but for now, here is a little progress pic on the Moon Maiden figure (that is what Frazetta named his painting). 

 

Thommo,

Good to see the 'Moon Maiden' being the central figure, of the diorama. What are you

going to use for her hair? I was thinking Filler-batting like from a stuffed toy, I've seen

a modeler using that technique in replicating ocean spray coming from a wave. As far

as the city is concerned, you can create the buildings from sheet-styrene. Cut shapes

to create a 3-D like effect, but gluing them on top of each other in layers and having it

flat just like a background wall. Good idea on her eyes, using makeup shapes. On the

Spaceships, how many are you going to have?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2020 at 11:05 PM, The Underdog said:

 

Thommo,

Good to see the 'Moon Maiden' being the central figure, of the diorama. What are you

going to use for her hair? I was thinking Filler-batting like from a stuffed toy, I've seen

a modeler using that technique in replicating ocean spray coming from a wave. As far

as the city is concerned, you can create the buildings from sheet-styrene. Cut shapes

to create a 3-D like effect, but gluing them on top of each other in layers and having it

flat just like a background wall. Good idea on her eyes, using makeup shapes. On the

Spaceships, how many are you going to have?

 

Some good ideas there mate.

The hair I'm still pondering.  Will probably experiment a bit.  For the last one I used bits if the hair from the kit & carved/bent it to shape, but this one needs much more.

Great idea re the city.  It'll probably be on a circular base like the last one, and I was thinking of having a curved piece of styrene at the back & painting on the background including the city, but making it a bit 3D-ish with slightly protruding buildings from styrene is a top idea.

Spaceships?  Again tricky because they have to be much smaller so as to appear in the background, but then they might just look like they are ridiculously small spaceships, or that the figures are giants.  They obviously can't be the same scale as the figures though else they will be huge.  I'll do one initially, see how it goes, then maybe add more.

 

I spent hours y'day turning the rifle from the 6 pack of girls into a space pistol.  Should have been dead simple.......should have been 🙄

 

wJHeQX5.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thommo said:

 

Some good ideas there mate.

The hair I'm still pondering.  Will probably experiment a bit.  For the last one I used bits if the hair from the kit & carved/bent it to shape, but this one needs much more.

Great idea re the city.  It'll probably be on a circular base like the last one, and I was thinking of having a curved piece of styrene at the back & painting on the background including the city, but making it a bit 3D-ish with slightly protruding buildings from styrene is a top idea.

Spaceships?  Again tricky because they have to be much smaller so as to appear in the background, but then they might just look like they are ridiculously small spaceships, or that the figures are giants.  They obviously can't be the same scale as the figures though else they will be huge.  I'll do one initially, see how it goes, then maybe add more.

 

I spent hours y'day turning the rifle from the 6 pack of girls into a space pistol.  Should have been dead simple.......should have been

 

I've been a modeler for almost 4 decades, on and off. And, sometimes when working

on a project - I'll loose focus on the possibilities on what/how I want to accomplish. I

know from experience, its always good getting a second opinion from someone else.

Glad you like the suggestion on the city, and however you choose to get-it done... I'm

sure it will turn-out great, just like your last FF Space project!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The Moon Maiden is turning out to be a much higher maintenance girl than the Encounter fairy!  My wife is much amused about my rantings on how I've mucked up her anatomy 😆

 

Making the bikini proved problematic - the bottom want very well using latex glove material, but when I tried to do the same for the top, my seamstress skills fell well short.  Next I attempted to make the bikini top outline with stretched sprue/invisible thread, but that was also a fail (edges too thick) & led to much superglue debris which had to be carefully sanded off, and many blemishes covered with putty slurry (some still visible which need more sanding).

 

So the final solution for the bikini top will be to mask & paint it on.

 

The idea about filler for the hair was a good one - I used filler from a cushion.

 

13qkLoXh.jpg

 

ZG6Nfp4h.jpg

 

 

 

 

Edited by Thommo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thommo,

Gosh, I'm almost speechless. What a great job you're doing on her! I'm glad the Hair-idea

worked as planned, when she's completely painted it will look magnificent. "Frazetta was

way-ahead of his time, but he didn't have much on you" with your modeling skills!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2020 at 2:02 AM, Thommo said:

1Z9Zb0B.jpg

 

Thommo,

Don't know if you've noticed or not, but the 2 Spaceships closest to the viewer are

similar but not the same. The Engine Nacelles on the one are straight back, then

the one closest to the camera - shows them being off-set. I don't know if Frazetta

did that by mistake or on purpose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Painting the Maiden proceeds....and breaking off tiny bits as I go 😬, to be replaced later.

 

If you really zoom into the Frazetta painting, the picture on the left bikini top is actually an orange & black vulture, with a yellow mountain in the background!  Replicating that with a brush in 1/35 was attempted.

 

EBOvmwCh.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First element of the dio finished.

 

evwZ6zTh.jpg

 

3qTEnQEh.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoa! That's one chick you don't want to mess with 

Great digure painting and sculpting skills on display here. I'm keen to see the space ship for sure. I like the design a lot.  Kind of has a German feel to it. Don't know why but it does (to me anyway). Looking forward to the next update 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Thommo said:

First element of the dio finished.

 

49838092281_55f9871aa4_o.jpg

 

 

Thommo,

Have to say, the "Moon Maiden" turned-out pretty good. Amazing job with the Wings

on the helmet and the hair. Maybe, her assets could use some plastic surgery to look

more like the painting... nice work indeed!

 

Edited by The Underdog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2020 at 3:12 AM, The Underdog said:

 

Thommo,

Have to say, the "Moon Maiden" turned-out pretty good. Amazing job with the Wings

on the helmet and the hair. Maybe, her assets could use some plastic surgery to look

more like the painting... nice work indeed!

 

 

Her assets suffered a bit when I had to sand off my first attempt at using rubber glove material to make the bikini top (which worked fine for the bottom, but my seamstress skills were a big fail for the top)....and my wife said I'd probably spent enough time fiddling with her assets, and just accept them as they were 😄

 

I'm working on the first robot now.  Cobbled together bits of the girls from the pin-up girl 6 pack, then building an armour suit around her mostly from an old Coke can & styrene sheet.  working on the head now - trickiest bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thommo said:

 

Her assets suffered a bit when I had to sand off my first attempt at using rubber glove material to make the bikini top (which worked fine for the bottom, but my seamstress skills were a big fail for the top)....and my wife said I'd probably spent enough time fiddling with her assets, and just accept them as they were 😄

 

I'm working on the first robot now.  Cobbled together bits of the girls from the pin-up girl 6 pack, then building an armour suit around her mostly from an old Coke can & styrene sheet.  working on the head now - trickiest bit.

 

Don't forget the Robots all have different looking heads and Body-armour. Too bad Dr.

Thommo has retired as a Plastic Surgeon!

LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The Underdog said:

 

Don't forget the Robots all have different looking heads and Body-armour. Too bad Dr.

Thommo has retired as a Plastic Surgeon!

LOL

 

I know! This could take a while.  Still battling with the first one's head (the one closest to the Maiden).  2 options on the go atm 😵

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Thommo said:

 

I know! This could take a while.  Still battling with the first one's head (the one closest to the Maiden).  2 options on the go atm 😵

 

Understand, but don't rush it... its not a competition or contest. What does (2 options on

the go atm) mean?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

First robot built, ready for paint.

 

On 5/9/2020 at 12:23 AM, The Underdog said:

 

Understand, but don't rush it... its not a competition or contest. What does (2 options on

the go atm) mean?

 

2 options meant 2 different head build ideas being tried.

 

WH6Htwbh.jpg

 

ZUN4ORgh.jpg

 

fLzrtmph.jpg

Edited by Thommo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Thommo,

Nice work on the First Robot, really looks like the one in the painting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robot #1 primed & ready for paint.  While waiting for my Alclad Dark Aluminium to arrive, I started on Robot #2 using bits from the pinup girls.

 

Also invested in a pack of 1/35 Tamiya WW2 US soldiers to provide me with some rifles to modify into spaceguns, plus a few more figures as I'm fast running out of pinup girl pieces.

 

Was thinking of doing a spaceship next, but can't quite get my head around the issue of scale.  They can't be 1/35 scale as they would be massive, so they'll have to be quite tiny to match the perspective of the Frazetta painting, though then will they just look like spaceships for midgets?  Hmmmmmmm..........

 

jyZ6iDUh.jpg

 

8QSV732h.jpg

 

3MtwpYmh.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Thommo said:

Robot #1 primed & ready for paint.  While waiting for my Alclad Dark Aluminium to arrive, I started on Robot #2 using bits from the pinup girls.

 

Also invested in a pack of 1/35 Tamiya WW2 US soldiers to provide me with some rifles to modify into spaceguns, plus a few more figures as I'm fast running out of pinup girl pieces.

 

Was thinking of doing a spaceship next, but can't quite get my head around the issue of scale.  They can't be 1/35 scale as they would be massive, so they'll have to be quite tiny to match the perspective of the Frazetta painting, though then will they just look like spaceships for midgets?  Hmmmmmmm..........

 

jyZ6iDUh.jpg

 

 

Thommo,

(Robot 1) is looking really good with the Primer applied, will look great when painted.

As the Spaceships are concerned, it depends on what you want the Diorama to look

like. If it's going to represent the painting, then you'll have to scale them down. If you

want them pretty close to scale, then they'll be bigger.

 

A way you can get a better perspective would be using your Artistic Licence. Draw 2

Spaceships on card-stock in different scales, and place them in the diorama before

actually modeling them. That way you'll be able to see, which size will look better in

your project.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Underdog said:

 

Thommo,

(Robot 1) is looking really good with the Primer applied, will look great when painted.

As the Spaceships are concerned, it depends on what you want the Diorama to look

like. If it's going to represent the painting, then you'll have to scale them down. If you

want them pretty close to scale, then they'll be bigger.

 

A way you can get a better perspective would be using your Artistic Licence. Draw 2

Spaceships on card-stock in different scales, and place them in the diorama before

actually modeling them. That way you'll be able to see, which size will look better in

your project.

 

Great idea re drawing them and testing it out.  I'm thinking I may end up with one 1/35 scale spacecraft, rather than doing all 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2020 at 4:28 AM, Thommo said:

 

Great idea re drawing them and testing it out.  I'm thinking I may end up with one 1/35 scale spacecraft, rather than doing all 3.

 

Thommo,

I agree with just doing one Spaceship, that way the diorama isn't overly busy and the

different scales aren't competing with one another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...