Please recommend a good wash to be used over Mr Color Clear (lacquer)

Hello everyone...

Yesterday I started to to do a wash on the parts of my 1/48 Hasegawa A7 ( you can see the build thread here on ARC) with Vallejo Wash. I left it longer than I usually do ( 10 minutes) and I simply could not get the wash off. I tried water, Vallejo thinner and even rubbing alcohol to no avail. I use gloss Mr Color lacquer so the surface is very smooth. At the end I had to use sponge sanding sticks to remove the excess wash and since the paint layers are so thin, I had to do some touch up air brushing. Can you recommend any washes medium that can be removed easily? I found out the Vallejo washes are pretty caustic and not so easily removed even on smooth gloss surface. Thanks Dai  

8 minutes ago, rightwinger26 said:

I use Vallejo washes frequently, and to removed then, I dampen a q-tip in regular windex and it comes right off, no damage to the paint.

That is what I heard when I did more extensive research online. Must try it when I get home today. Dai 

The easiest and safest washes are clay washes like Flory's. They are basically just very fine clay pigments in water with an agent added to reduce surface tension. You can spread them all over as gloss coated model and then just easily wipe away the excess with a slightly damp paper towel. There are some videos of Mr Flory's site. I've been using them for years just because they are so easy. I find they don't work as well for small parts like landing gear. There I usually just use oil paints thinned with Turpenoid (turpentine but without the strong odor). I use Tamiya's clear gloss or Mr Color's clear gloss thinned with Mr Color Leveling Thinner

2 hours ago, Mstor said:

The easiest and safest washes are clay washes like Flory's. They are basically just very fine clay pigments in water with an agent added to reduce surface tension. You can spread them all over as gloss coated model and then just easily wipe away the excess with a slightly damp paper towel. There are some videos of Mr Flory's site. I've been using them for years just because they are so easy. I find they don't work as well for small parts like landing gear. There I usually just use oil paints thinned with Turpenoid (turpentine but without the strong odor). I use Tamiya's clear gloss or Mr Color's clear gloss thinned with Mr Color Leveling Thinner

I bought a set and will try it. Clay wash is nothing more than earth pigment and water. Dai 

3 hours ago, Mstor said:

There I usually just use oil paints thinned with Turpenoid (turpentine but without the strong odor). I use Tamiya's clear gloss or Mr Color's clear gloss thinned with Mr Color Leveling Thinner

Sorry, the clear gloss -  is that for mixing the oil paint in?  

16 minutes ago, crackerjazz said:

Sorry, the clear gloss -  is that for mixing the oil paint in?  

No, sorry for the confusion. Those are the clear coats I use for the general gloss coat for the model. Thought I should mention what I use, but I can see the way I wrote it was a bit confusing. Sorry again. I'll try to proof read my comments a little better. :thumbsup: