CD48186 - 1/48 F-105B/D Thunderchief

This is great news Kursad!  Please include the white "NEW JERSEY" lettering as a minimum for the "B" model Thud.  I can cobble the rest together to sir to do this F-105B, 57-5789.  I've always wanted to build this bird.  Now where did I put that C&H conversion?! 🙂

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Derek

ScIuCNv.jpg

I too would love to see the New Jersey ANG on there.  They were the first ANG operator of the F-105 as well as the last operator of the F-105B, and they also had a pretty colorful bird for the Bicentennial.

Late life schemes:

https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Air-Force/Republic-F-105B-Thunderchief/1495127/L

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/388893

57-5779 - F-105B Thunderchief - USAF / 141TFS New Jersey ANG - McGuire AFB - 04-Dec-78

F105B57776L.jpg

F-105B Thunderchief 57-5776 of the 141st TFS/108th TFW New Jersey ANG

And the Bicentennial scheme:

arc_1006_p3.jpg

Chris

Or if you really want to get crazy with this sheet Kursad, a bonus 1/32 white “NEW  JERSEY” and associated unit  decals would be pretty amazing for those of us with the Cutting Edge resin “B” nose and Trumpeter “D” kit.  Just saying... 🙂

-Derek

1 hour ago, viking73 said:

Or if you really want to get crazy with this sheet Kursad, a bonus 1/32 white “NEW  JERSEY” and associated unit  decals would be pretty amazing for those of us with the Cutting Edge resin “B” nose and Trumpeter “D” kit.  Just saying... 🙂

-Derek

That's an interesting thought.. As part of my 2020 New Year's resolution, I have been trying to eliminate destructive habits such as consuming saturated fats, checking texts while driving, releasing 1/32 sheets, etc. But adding a few small bonus options on the sheet may not be that big of a deal, I will definitely consider it. 

Edited by KursadA
19 hours ago, KursadA said:

That's an interesting thought.. As part of my 2020 New Year's resolution, I have been trying to eliminate destructive habits such as consuming saturated fats, checking texts while driving, releasing 1/32 sheets, etc. But adding a few small bonus options on the sheet may not be that big of a deal, I will definitely consider it. 

You are the man Kursad!  I cannot wait to shake your hand/fist bump/whatever we will be doing by then in San Marcos at the Nats(fingers crossed it's still a go!) to thank you for all the decal joy you have brought me and so many others over the last few years.  Perhaps a bottle of your favorite beverage as well, you name it sir.  It's the least I could do.

If you need it, I have detailed artwork/logos for the 108th TFG and 141st TFS of the NJ ANG to make this happen.

Keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Derek

10 hours ago, viking73 said:

You are the man Kursad!  I cannot wait to shake your hand/fist bump/whatever we will be doing by then in San Marcos at the Nats(fingers crossed it's still a go!) to thank you for all the decal joy you have brought me and so many others over the last few years.  Perhaps a bottle of your favorite beverage as well, you name it sir.  It's the least I could do.

Thanks for your kind words - I am looking forward to the Nats as well and hope to meet many of you there.

10 hours ago, KursadA said:

Folks, does anyone have good quality photos of "My Karma" (62-4301) somewhere? Preferably one where the details of the marking and the crew names are legible?

Kursad -

I am a member of an F-105 group on Facebook.  There’s many great shots of her on there.  Her former crewchief is a member of the group as well.  I’ll get some photos together for you and send them to you today.

-Derek

3 hours ago, viking73 said:

Kursad -

I am a member of an F-105 group on Facebook.  There’s many great shots of her on there.  Her former crewchief is a member of the group as well.  I’ll get some photos together for you and send them to you today.

-Derek

That facebook group has so many good photos, I just wish facebook was easier to search.  Pretty much once a post is several months old, it's nearly impossible to find anymore.

I was trying to find the thread about this jet:

BA3DDEB0-5A11-45FF-9A1F-59D15487B0C2.jpeg

I’m pretty sure it’s a Hill jet, but can’t find any more info.

Edited by Corey

Kursad, maybe not on this sheet, but do you think it's possible to have a dedicated ANG F-105 one? There are some great schemes already posted here but I have yet to see anyone offer up some of the Texas T-stick Thuds. Not as attractive as a standard D I know, but the RM kit is readily available and we'll, Texas had them.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235034194-thunderchief-carswell-october-1980-more-added-25feb18/

• 2 years later...

This sheet is coming in the April batch of releases - I think you will find it to be a nice selection of single-seat Thuds, something different from the same Vietnam birds that have been done over and over again. Nothing wrong with Vietnam Thuds of course, there are three of them on this sheet, too.

NJ  (NJ in both old/new flavors, because Corey) /DC/VA ANG, Carswell T-Stick II, 36/49TFW USAFE, 335th TFS (with the Indian head reproduced from that Ebay panel that Ben found), "My Karma"....the F-105 Thunderchief logo for the prototypes and markings for one of them so the brave ones among you can do the YF-105s. Stay tuned for a draft image in a week or so.

Simultaneously coming in 1/72 too.

Edited by KursadA

By badge, do you mean the white/black zap below the ejection seat warning triangle?  It looks to be a cartoon caricature!  The aircraft in question is F-105D-10-RE 60-0471 of the 457th Tactical Fighter Squadron, 301st Tactical Fighter Group, Carswell AFB, TX (July 1972-Dec 1982).  It may have gone to Europe for an exercise and returned to Carswell (B-52Ds in background) with the zaps. The 457th deployed to Norvenich (ETNN), Germany during August 1977.  I believe the photo above is dated December 1977 at Carswell. 

From the "Coronets, Crested Caps, & Salty Bees" website:

Deployment: CORONET POKER; Deployment Base: Nörvenich AB (West Germany);     Deployment Dates: 14 AUGUST - 27 AUGUST 1977

Wing/Squadron (Base/Command)    Aircraft Type (Number Deployed)    Tailcode (colour)
301 TFW/457 TFS (Carswell AFB, Air Force Reserve Command) F-105D/F (14)  TH (red/white)
Deployed Aircraft Serials (Colour) [notes]
F-105D 60-0458 60-0464 60-0465 60-0471 60-0490 60-0493 60-0500 60-0513 60-0533 61-0044 61-0075 61-0080 61-0100 F-105F 63-8261

Wing/Squadron (Base/Command)    Aircraft Type (Number Deployed)    Tailcode (colour)
301 TFW (507 TFG)/465 TFS (Tinker AFB, Air Force Reserve Command) F-105D/F (4) SH (blue/white)
Deployed Aircraft Serials (Colour) [notes]
F-105D 61-0061 61-0115 61-0152 F-105F 63-8365

Further Info
The AFRES F-105s arrived as Cutch 11-16, 21-26, 31-36 from Seymour-Johnson AFB & departed using Task 11-16, 21-26, 31-36. 2 F-105s (unknown serials) failed to get away and these eventually departed 7 September as Retro 49/50.

Could 60-0471 been one of the aircraft left behind and therefore received the zaps?

Edited by Dutch
additional village

Yes, whatever it was, it must have been done during Coronet Poker deployment to Norvenich in 1977. I am hoping a close-up photo survived somewhere but I could not find it. It would be great if we can ask around in German forums.

5 minutes ago, KursadA said:

Yes, whatever it was, it must have been done during Coronet Poker deployment to Norvenich in 1977. I am hoping a close-up photo survived somewhere but I could not find it. It would be great if we can ask around in German forums.

Start here: 60-0471 | D159 | Republic F-105D Thunderchief | USA Air Force | Gerrit Kok Collection | AIRFIGHTERS.COM There is a link to contact Gerrit Kok about the photo in question.

and here: AIRFIGHTERS.COM - Military Aircraft Photo Database and Aircraft Info

Edited by Dutch