CD48186 - 1/48 F-105B/D Thunderchief

Yeah I hope you can nail this one down. 

As a kid who couldn’t even spell airbrush, I used to use hardware store spray cans to produce non camo scheme models and one was a solid gray Luftwaffe F-105. Don’t even remember the kit brand or who’s decals I scrounged to make it happen. This really brings back memories, and more importantly: 

I’m justified now. 

Rick L. 

ps, did I ever tell you about a solid silver hand brushed Revell USS Arizona?

I found the following photo on this page LINK (A German language page by a former Luftwaffe mechanic, covering every aspect of the German F-104s). It shows a fellow mechanic of his who was stationed at Nörvenich in the 1960s. I've yet to come across a better-quality image of the emblem though...

a_Baumann.jpg

Could this be the badge of some maintenance unit or support Staffel of some sort? I am searching using the appropriate German terms and getting nowhere. Someone at the German aviation forums should be able to help with this one - I would appreciate it if our German friends can bring up the question.

It looks like it was not the only Carswell F-105D zapped by the Luftwaffe during the deployment - at least the unit badge on this other one is readily recognizable.

0267575baeaec0e26b839421407c8f3f.jpg

Edited by KursadA

That the emblem for Jagdbombergeschwader (JbG) -31

EDIT. I had to go back a few posts and see that you were asking about another photo. Sorry.

Edited by ST0RM

I know - thanks. If we can't find the details for the cow badge with the Luftwaffe insignia, it will be on the sheet.

Another question: has anyone done decals for J. Broughton's aircraft "Alice's Joy" in 1/48 ?

23 hours ago, KursadA said:

Could this be the badge of some maintenance unit or support Staffel of some sort? I am searching using the appropriate German terms and getting nowhere. Someone at the German aviation forums should be able to help with this one - I would appreciate it if our German friends can bring up the question.

It looks like it was not the only Carswell F-105D zapped by the Luftwaffe during the deployment - at least the unit badge on this other one is readily recognizable.

0267575baeaec0e26b839421407c8f3f.jpg

Storm was correct, this is the badge for Jabo G 31 Boelcke.

I am glad to report that thanks to the incredible Caracal ARC network, this case has been solved...The zapped Thud with the Luftwaffe insignia will be on the new sheets (1/48 & 1/72) and the story will be there - and Rick is vindicated after all these years 🙂

On 1/27/2023 at 12:39 PM, KursadA said:

This sheet is coming in the April batch of releases - I think you will find it to be a nice selection of single-seat Thuds, something different from the same Vietnam birds that have been done over and over again. Nothing wrong with Vietnam Thuds of course, there are three of them on this sheet, too.

NJ  (NJ in both old/new flavors, because Corey) /DC/VA ANG, Carswell T-Stick II, 36/49TFW USAFE, 335th TFS (with the Indian head reproduced from that Ebay panel that Ben found), "My Karma"....the F-105 Thunderchief logo for the prototypes and markings for one of them so the brave ones among you can do the YF-105s. Stay tuned for a draft image in a week or so.

Simultaneously coming in 1/72 too.

This is wonderful news Kursad, thank you!  Did the 1/32 bonus NJ ANG "B" model bits make it on the 1/48 or 1/72 sheet?  Or will it be a surprise?  My fingers are crossed!!

Thank you, can't wait!

-Derek

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2023 at 4:53 PM, The Arrowhead said:

Hoping you can include this wraparound T-Stick II as well with the « THud » zap on the right side of the tail !

image.thumb.jpeg.e3fdf32e9f20fbac77da059ef6532161.jpeg

That's the only scheme that could get me to build a T-Stick mod. 

Rick L.

On 2/7/2023 at 4:53 PM, The Arrowhead said:

Hoping you can include this wraparound T-Stick II as well with the « THud » zap on the right side of the tail !

image.thumb.jpeg.e3fdf32e9f20fbac77da059ef6532161.jpeg

I was not able to find a photo of this one with the THud on both sides, so I chose a very similar jet (61-0096) that definitely seems to have worn it on both sides. I hope that one will work.