CD48187 - 1/48 RF-8A/G Crusader

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

When it rains,  it pours! 

If anyone thinks that I am making up ambitious future projects because I'm bored sitting at home - please don't 🙂 I have been working on these for a while, and work has progressed far enough that I can safely announce them for summer releases.

On 4/15/2020 at 7:11 PM, KursadA said:

If anyone thinks that I am making up ambitious future projects because I'm bored sitting at home - please don't 🙂 I have been working on these for a while, and work has progressed far enough that I can safely announce them for summer 

Kursad,

Please do not be offended. I was not referencing your available time or work / hobby priorities.  Just commenting on the rapidity of your release announcements, especially since most of us didn't have these on our radar scopes. Keep up the good work. Now the rest of us can get back to the modeling salt mines. We have some kits to build!

K/r,

Dutch 

Edited by Dutch

Kursad, 

Would it be an idea to combine the RF-8 with some F-8E/J's from VFP-63? Few decals out there for the gun nosed version flying with VFP-63?

Edited by Niels

I saw the title and I got really excited, the RF-8A/G is the final aircraft on my 1/48th wish list for a mainstream injection moulded kit! The last was the RF-101C Voodoo. Sadly my modelling skills are not really up to conversions or vacforms however I would still buy a set of these decals when they get to Hannants. You know, 'just in case' 😉

Michael

Michael, There is hope! Several times in the past few years when Kursad has announced a decal for a previously un-kitted aircraft, someone goes and produces one within a short period.  You may very well be in luck! 😎

Alright, alright, alright...

I'm guessing any RF-8 sheet is going to have VFP-62 from the "Cuban Missile Crisis". Here are a few details ya don't want to miss...though I'm sure you're up there on the research. But just in case...Smile!

I love this one...good stuff 😂

fc1b5-z-1.jpg

Then of course there's the cooked chickens:

VFP-62-RF-8-A-Bu-No-146886.jpg

VFP-62-CO-II.png

VFP-62-Dead-Chickens.png

Finally, the squadron was awarded a peacetime Navy Unit Commendation (NUC) from President Kennedy and they painted the ribbon on the nose:

VFP-62-CO.png

BS112-620x.jpg

Looking forward to the sheet...now maybe Hasegawa will step up and continue the F-8 line. 😕

The Cuban Missile Crisis entry was a blast from the past.  I have a good friend whose uncle was one of two Marine pilots attached to the VMCJ-2 Det at GITMO. I only met him once around 1993. He was in his 60s then. I wonder if he is still alive. I will contact my friend and see if she has any photos or other material.  

K/r,

Dutch 

Edited by Dutch
On 4/16/2020 at 12:06 AM, KursadA said:

CD48187 will be a limited-run (250pcs) sheet dedicated to the RF-8G recon Crusaders. Intended for the RVHP and various other conversion kits out there.

I'm in for a set and I also saw that you will release a set for the twin engined CH-53. Can't await to see that!!! I have the MH-53 conversion waiting 🙂

Alex 

• 2 months later...