CD48187 - 1/48 RF-8A/G Crusader

On 4/19/2020 at 11:00 AM, 82Whitey51 said:

Alright, alright, alright...

I'm guessing any RF-8 sheet is going to have VFP-62 from the "Cuban Missile Crisis". Here are a few details ya don't want to miss...though I'm sure you're up there on the research. But just in case...Smile!

I love this one...good stuff 😂

fc1b5-z-1.jpg

Then of course there's the cooked chickens:

VFP-62-RF-8-A-Bu-No-146886.jpg

VFP-62-CO-II.png

VFP-62-Dead-Chickens.png

Finally, the squadron was awarded a peacetime Navy Unit Commendation (NUC) from President Kennedy and they painted the ribbon on the nose:

VFP-62-CO.png

BS112-620x.jpg

Looking forward to the sheet...now maybe Hasegawa will step up and continue the F-8 line. 😕

I would love to see these markings on the sheet.  I don't even have a kit for them, but I'd buy the decals and look for the kit afterwards!

@KursadA, I can lend you the book, "Blue Moon Over Cuba, Aerial Reconnaissance during the Cuban Missile Crisis" by Capt William B. Ecker, USN. It is an excellent read and has numerous photos of people, places and planes, (such as those above).just let me know.

Kind regards, 

Dutch 

Please do not misunderstand what I am about to write, but I think a Kitty Hawk 1/48 is going to do an F-8 family, including the RF.  I have no knowledge of their plans.  No one has said a word to me.  It just seems to me an underserved subject that Kitty Hawk would gravitate toward ala Cougar family.  

On 8/18/2020 at 9:37 PM, AD-4N said:

Please do not misunderstand what I am about to write, but I think a Kitty Hawk 1/48 is going to do an F-8 family, including the RF.  I have no knowledge of their plans.  No one has said a word to me.  It just seems to me an underserved subject that Kitty Hawk would gravitate toward ala Cougar family.  

I'd be OK with that...But I sure wish Hasegawa had done it.

On 8/19/2020 at 2:37 AM, AD-4N said:

I'd prefer it if it was Kinetic .Why Hasegawa never continued with the F-8A/B/C/D/K/L surprised me .

4 hours ago, Stephen said:

I'd prefer it if it was Kinetic .Why Hasegawa never continued with the F-8A/B/C/D/K/L surprised me .

I read somewhere that the Hasegawa F-8 didn't sell well. That would explain a lot.

Edited by picknpluck

Different companies have different philosophies when it comes to cutting molds. I know that the old Monogram would cut molds with parts for alternate versions right from the start. They would just close a gate on a mold to prevent the casting of certain parts. For example, when they made the molds for the 1/48 scale F-89D/J Scorpion, the parts for the smaller wingtip tanks and gun-nose for the F-89C were on the test-shots. Same for the 1/48 scale F-86D Sabre Dog. The molds included the cannon-nose F-86K for foreign service Dogs.

But some manufacturers don't choose to do this. Why did Tamiya have only one version of the 1/48 scale Wildcat? Not sure, but I think they only had one ISSUE of the F4F-4. So no F4F-3, Martlet, or FM-2 that would require only a few alternate parts. So are poor sales a consideration for no subsequent issues?

When Accurate Miniatures debuted, they brought out the long overlooked Allison-engined Mustangs in 1/48 scale. They set it up so they had alternate parts for the P-51, A-36, P-51A, F-6A, and Mustang Mk.I.

When Academy had the opportunity to do the same in 1/72 scale, they issued only the cannon-armed P-51. AFAIK, they had only that first issue (with the Jeep). Go figure.

But yeah, give me an RF-8! And in 1/72 scale, please!

Edited by Paul Boyer
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

There is definitely an RF-8A/G conversion by RVHP which was recently re-issued for the Hasegawa kit, and is worth considering. Already done one, two in the stash. Nice engraved fuselage halves, some shape adjustments needed on the nose area, but nothing beyond the skills of any average modeler.

Edited by The Arrowhead
  • 2 months later...

Kursad,

I am visiting my friends in the Adirondacks right now.  Here are a couple of photos from then Capt Harold Merlin Austin, Jr. He flew RF-8As with VMCJ-2. He flew reconnaissance missions over Cuba during the fall of 1962.  He is still alive (94 or 95 yearrs old).  I will see if I can visit him tomorrow.  Enjoy.

K/r, Dutch

U_Bunny_refueling_for_Paul.thumb.jpg.558bbd91a25ce9bc6679819086fd458e.jpg

Two VMCJ-2 F8U-1Ps refuleing from a GV-1 of VMGR-252 over GITMO early in 1962.  1stLt Austin flying F8U-1P 146893 CY-1.  

Edited by Dutch

Kursad,

I never was able to locate Uncle "Bunny" and neither did his niece nor her husband.  He's probably off galavanting somewhere with his wife.  His niece sent me some USMC newspaper clippings of his shooting prowess as a young enlisted Marine in the early & mid 1950s and another photo of him as a Captain in full pressure suit and helmet on the nose ladder of CY5, so I don't know which aircraft was actually assigned to him.  However, on the back of the refueling photo it said he was flying CY1 (sorry, no photo of the caption).  So just go with that photo or the more interesting one above of 145646 CY1 with the red Playboy bunny with bent ear on the tail.

The photo below does give a few more details of the viewfinder and intake area.

K/r, Dutch  

3444EA42-0E6C-4493-8418-284798B951F5_1_105_c.jpeg

Captain Harold Austin, Jr. climbing aboard RF-8A Crusader at MCAS Cherry Point, NC early 1960s.

Edited by Dutch
add photo & caption
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/22/2021 at 4:32 AM, Dutch said:

Thanks.  I will start construction and await the decals.

Reading your posts above and seeing the early pictures of 145646 is pretty cool. I saw that aircraft when it was displayed at the Flying Leathernecks museum at Miramar before it closed down. I ended up going with 145646 when I built my RF-8G a few years ago, as it appeared with VFP-63 aboard the Coral Sea towards the end.

Edited by picknpluck