I kinda got the "jones" to buy a couple A10 kits. Seems like everybody sells one, but I have a slightly narrow view point. You see I want to build a ODS bird and a Ft. Wayne "Black Snakes" ANG plane that used to buzz me everytime I went fishing. I/48th is my preference in scale. So what would you buy? And maybe why?

gary

It seems that the Monogram kit is the most accurate quarter scale kit, but its nowhere near the nicest.

Im not 100% sure myself I think the choices are in no particular order, Italeri, Hobby boss, Trumpeter and Tamiya

Everybody poopoos the Tamiya as its the prototype, I have no idea how and why, it was never elaborated on.

The Italeri and Hobby boss kits have some arter market sets out there to either fit them or detail them up with. But im sure over the next few days we will hear from some guys on the pros and cons of each.

The Monogram kit has raised panel lines and no AIM-9 launcher rails

The Hobby Boss is a bit more “modern” than the Italeri. I had both at one time, but elected to get rid of the Italeri. The Italeri cockpit is mostly decals. The trailing edges are very thick by modern standards. And the surface detail is a bit more “dated”. Big panel lines and a bit less surface detail. 

Fit or both are ok, but not amazing. 

9 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Everybody poopoos the Tamiya as its the prototype, I have no idea how and why, it was never elaborated on.

It’s not that it’s bad but everyone seems to want to build an ODS bird or LASTE etc. and you need to add all the lumps bumps and fiddley bits if you start with the Tamiya kit. If you know that going in then there’s really nothing majorly wrong with it. 

1 hour ago, habu2 said:

Wheels up or down?

I ask because I can see a diorama of a Hog buzzing a fishing boat...  🙂

never gave that a thought! They buzzed me standing in the middle of the Flat Rock River. Plus the Blue River and Sugar Creeks as well

gary

22 minutes ago, ESzczesniak said:

The Hobby Boss is a bit more “modern” than the Italeri. I had both at one time, but elected to get rid of the Italeri. The Italeri cockpit is mostly decals. The trailing edges are very thick by modern standards. And the surface detail is a bit more “dated”. Big panel lines and a bit less surface detail. 

Fit or both are ok, but not amazing. 

thanks to all of you! Italeri once did the Black Snakes, but knowing Italeri; I stepped back

gary

1 hour ago, ChesshireCat said:

thanks to all of you! Italeri once did the Black Snakes, but knowing Italeri; I stepped back

gary

Well if your are looking for a kit you just throw some glue at and it magically appears as an A-10 then there isnt a model out there for you to build.

22 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

I kinda got the "jones" to buy a couple A10 kits. Seems like everybody sells one, but I have a slightly narrow view point. You see I want to build a ODS bird and a Ft. Wayne "Black Snakes" ANG plane that used to buzz me everytime I went fishing. I/48th is my preference in scale. So what would you buy? And maybe why?

gary

I would go with the Hobbyboss  offering, it is easy to build and looks good when done.  I have 3 of them built as ODS planes now and will likely do another.

To do a ODS variant, you will have to remove the LASTE stuff of course, and either move, add, or remove antenna depending on what variant you build.  The Air Force Reserve and OA-10A squadrons had the older radar warning receivers for example.

I did have the Italeri offering, but I sold it as I wasn't liking what I saw.