AK-130 Naval gun system

Here is my 1/35 Takom AK-130 gun turret. as with most Takom kits the plastic is great, but the instructions need work. some dodgy assembly sequences aside I really had fun building it.

some things to watch out for if you are going to build one. the railing around the base should be assembled and fully cured BEFORE adding it to the base. I was left with some challenging seams to deal with. there are 2 photo etch parts on the gun, leave them off. they disappear under paint , but when you elevate the guns they scrape off the paint leaving you with bare brass showing through. I eventually glued everything as you see here to keep from having paint scraped off every time i move them.  there are a couple of tricky mold seams on the main turret piece due to it being slide molded. other than those minor issues I had fun building and painting it.

main grey colour is a mix of Tamiya Kure grey and dark sea grey. deck colour is a mix of Tamiya linoleum and panzer grey. the red is Mr.color russet. when the Varyag visited Vancouver in 2011 I was able to get a few shots of it. Obviously for a foreign port visit it was as shiney and clean as they could get it. I went with a darker shade of grey because I think it looks more menacing.

DSC_0184-XL.jpg

DSC_0597-XL.jpg

DSC_0598-XL.jpg

DSC_0599-XL.jpg

DSC_0600-XL.jpg

DSC_0601-XL.jpg

DSC_0602-XL.jpg

DSC_0604-XL.jpg

yeah that's sick! I really like that. Its the first one I've seen built and I've been tempted by this before. Must resist...

Looks good with the decking round it. It would look a little weird without it

It's quite Star Wars-y isn't it? Maybe that was the intention.

Great work on this Dylan

26 minutes ago, The Madhatter said:

yeah that's sick! I really like that. Its the first one I've seen built and I've been tempted by this before. Must resist...

Looks good with the decking round it. It would look a little weird without it

It's quite Star Wars-y isn't it? Maybe that was the intention.

Great work on this Dylan

give in to your feelings...you know you want to build one of these.

I agree it is VERY Star Wars-y and looks super cool.

and thanks for the compliment

how big is it? Could you take a random shot with a paint bottle or something next to it to give it scale? I know that's asking a fair bit, but I'd  really like to see it against something recognisable. Plus, it'll also give me an idea if I can sneak it in past the wife 😄

4 hours ago, The Madhatter said:

how big is it? Could you take a random shot with a paint bottle or something next to it to give it scale? I know that's asking a fair bit, but I'd  really like to see it against something recognisable. Plus, it'll also give me an idea if I can sneak it in past the wife 😄

to quote someone famous "it's uuuuuuuuugee"  the base is just shy of 12 inches across.
I am currently out of bananas for scale, I hope this is adequate.

DSC_0605-XL.jpg

• 10 months later...

I've never seen anything like this. Very interesting pictures! Thinking from the point of an engineer these constructions are very hard to make. Anyway, the guns are very big. I am wondering what type of ammunition they are using. Recently, I bought my first gun. But the dilemma was that I forgot to order the ammunition for it. But, luckily, I found what I need on Bulk Munition. A very big platform with a lot of choices. It was one of my dreams when I was a kid. I've always wanted to have a gun.

Edited by rutheree
  • 10 months later...

I think that every fan of Star Warriors or military themes secretly dreams of building what you have turned out. I am surprised how you decided on this project. It would be hard for me to plan that I would have to perform so many operations and purchase many materials.  But I'm a big fan of good weapons, especially firearms. I just bought myself a new pistol last week, based on the beretta 96 review.  By the way, where did you buy all the parts? I can't say that I know all the shops with building materials well. I want to find out for the future.

Edited by Assadera