Stuck at home. Need to nourish my noggin....🥴

Does anyone have any book recommendations for any "Tom Clancy" - type of techno-thriller books (both fiction & non-fiction)?  Something that's geared more towards the 21st Century warfare ( from 2010 onward, perhaps)?

Specially interested in conflict scenarios that involve East Asia ( ie, region consisting of China, Hong Kong, Macau, Mongolia, North Korea, South Korea, Japan, and Taiwan...could also throw in the Russians too ). And with lots of of techno-thrills (like Clancy's 'Hunt for Red October' & Barrett Tillman's 'Warriors').  Particularly interested in sea & air warfare scenarios.  Cyber warfare stuff is also good. 

Also open to books that involve 'total warfare' (ie, biological, cyber, economical, military, etc).  Would really like to imagine how such scenarios will play out and how folks come out of it.

Recommendations welcome 🙂

Dalton Fury books are pretty fun to read. A bit cowboyish in some ways to me but the author has the experience to back up what he's writing about.

There's another series that I read about 10-15 years ago, I can't seem to find them, about a former Green Beret that became a professor in Maine. The first book was called "The American," the second called "The Assassin," and I don't remember if there was a third. It was a bit like Jack Ryan meets Indiana Jones meets Special Forces. I believe the author passed away suddenly years back. Very well written.

"The Terminal List" by James Reece and follow on books fall into the same category as the others but make for good reads.

I've heard Brad Thor makes excellent 21st Century Warfare novels as well.

Edited by Whiskey

I liked the Ghost Recon series of books by David Michaels (books in order from 1-3):

Amazon.com: Ghost Recon (Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon, Book 1 ...

Combat Ops (Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon, Book 2) by David Michaels ...

Amazon.com: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Choke Point (9780425264751 ...

If you liked The Hunt for Red October, then check out the "Hunter Killer" series by George Wallace and Don Keith (Final Bearing is book 1:

Amazon.com: Dangerous Grounds (The Hunter Killer Series Book 2 ...

Loved the books! I believe there was a movie loosely based on the series.

I have a few others but I won't hog :rolleyes: LOL!

Happy modeling!

The Hunt for Red October has to be one of my all time favorite movies. Couldnt bring myself to finish reading the book (and I know it's better) but I will watch that movie every chance I get.

Always wanted to find a good series of novels like it. Is it a political thriller as well Don?

Edited by Whiskey
11 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Always wanted to find a good series of novels like it. Is it a political thriller as well Don?

Oh boy, where to begin without being a spoiler. Lets just say the whole series of books has a little bit of everything in it. In no particular order and going from memory, politics, terrorism, oil, corrupt billionaires, drug lords/cartels, stolen weapons from Russia/former eastern block nations, black ops, Russian leaders longing for the good old days... think Hunt for Red October meets Clear and Present Danger add a smattering of The Sum of All Fears, sprinkle in Red Storm Rising, and a dose of the movie  "Act of Valor". I think that about covers the series without giving anything away LOL! The nice thing is the baddies are from all over the world not just the usual suspects (although they are there).

Does that help/make sense?

Happy modeling!

9 hours ago, JackMan said:

Stuck at home. Need to nourish my noggin....🥴

Does anyone have any book recommendations for any "Tom Clancy" - type of techno-thriller books (both fiction & non-fiction)?  Something that's geared more towards the 21st Century warfare ( from 2010 onward, perhaps)?

Specially interested in conflict scenarios that involve East Asia ( ie, region consisting of China, Hong Kong, Macau, Mongolia, North Korea, South Korea, Japan, and Taiwan...could also throw in the Russians too ). And with lots of of techno-thrills (like Clancy's 'Hunt for Red October' & Barrett Tillman's 'Warriors').  Particularly interested in sea & air warfare scenarios.  Cyber warfare stuff is also good. 

Also open to books that involve 'total warfare' (ie, biological, cyber, economical, military, etc).  Would really like to imagine how such scenarios will play out and how folks come out of it.

Recommendations welcome 🙂

Look for The Hunt For Red October and move onward from there. Red Storm Rising is very good along with Cardinal In The Kremlin. Red October will introduce you to folks you;ll later meet in the other books.

gary

Gentlemen,  thanks for the recommendations. Good stuff! 

Yup I've got Red October.  That's the one that got me interested in this genre.  Rivetting!   The air war stuff like "Warriors" by Tillman also interests me tremendously.

I've also been browsing and discovered these:

https://www.orderofbooks.com/authors/rick-campbell/

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/48805248-okinawa?from_search=true&from_srp=DuTNYd197D&qid=1

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/174507.Ted_Halstead

Again, thanks folks :thumbsup:

Jackman,

I would suggest reading the Clancy books sequentially up to (and including) red rabbit.  Though written for the most part in the "old" millennium, they do have a certain applicability  to modern times.  Including the "ring of fire" geographical setting you are looking for.  Most certainly to me, these books demonstrated his mastery of the genre.  Well worth the time invested.  I don't have much of an opinion though, after red rabbit.

Sub wise, (if you liked HFRO) you could take a look at Kilo Class and Nimitz Class introducing you to Patrick Robinson.

Aircraft wise, check out Dale Brown, .  Flight of the old dog!  

I always thought Red Storm Rising was just way too optimistic.  I think that if the Russians decided to take a crack at Western Europe in the 80's, they and the Warsaw Pact would have rolled right through us (myself included).  All of our high tech equip wasn't going to stop 10's of thousands of tanks, artillery tubes, etc.  

For a more realistic (IMO) and grunt-centric view of WW3, I really enjoyed Team Yankee.  

"Ghost Fleet" is the next book for you!

Ghost_Fleet_%28novel%29.jpg

Written by P.W. SInger and August Cole, it describes a war between the US and China around the year 2050. To quote from Wiki:

"The authors explicitly wrote Ghost Fleet with the goal of exploring how new technological developments might impact a future war.[7][21] Technologies explored include electromagnetic railguns, swarm UAVs, optical head-mounted display glasses, space-based weaponry and performance-enhancing stimulants.[17][21] The book includes over 400 endnotes.[14]

Reception

Ghost Fleet has been praised as a useful exploration of future conflict, and recommended by leaders of the United States military as recommended reading for troops.[12][22] Admiral James Stavridis said the book is "A startling blueprint for the wars of the future and therefore needs to be read now!"[23]"

HAJO

9 hours ago, 11bee said:

I always thought Red Storm Rising was just way too optimistic.  I think that if the Russians decided to take a crack at Western Europe in the 80's, they and the Warsaw Pact would have rolled right through us (myself included).  All of our high tech equip wasn't going to stop 10's of thousands of tanks, artillery tubes, etc.  

For a more realistic (IMO) and grunt-centric view of WW3, I really enjoyed Team Yankee.  

Thought the same. :thumbsup: You look at the maps and think "this is it? They've been stopped already? They barely made it past the Wall!"

One thing I've always wondered is how the Soviet "SAM umbrella" would've worked had it been used by the guys that designed it for themselves to serve their idea of warfare. An IADS used according to the rulebook it was designed with, utilized in a "grand scheme of things" combined arms way, not limited by watered-down versions, incompatibilities and such. Glad we never got to find out. Have a hunch that the mighty beloved Brrrrt!!!! wouldn't have the same kind of cult following it has now.

Haven't read Team Yankee yet. Have it in the library for donkey's years now, but never got round to actually reading it. Regarding more realistic books, I liked "Red Army" by Ralph Peters and "Chieftains" by Bob Forrest-Webb. Bought those at the same time I got Team Yankee, but for some odd reason I never read the latter. Strange.

23 minutes ago, ChernayaAkula said:

Thought the same. :thumbsup: You look at the maps and think "this is it? They've been stopped already? They barely made it past the Wall!"

One thing I've always wondered is how the Soviet "SAM umbrella" would've worked had it been used by the guys that designed it for themselves to serve their idea of warfare. An IADS used according to the rulebook it was designed with, utilized in a "grand scheme of things" combined arms way, not limited by watered-down versions, incompatibilities and such. Glad we never got to find out. Have a hunch that the mighty beloved Brrrrt!!!! wouldn't have the same kind of cult following it has now.

Haven't read Team Yankee yet. Have it in the library for donkey's years now, but never got round to actually reading it. Regarding more realistic books, I liked "Red Army" by Ralph Peters and "Chieftains" by Bob Forrest-Webb. Bought those at the same time I got Team Yankee, but for some odd reason I never read the latter. Strange.

Oooh, I forgot about Red Army, that was a good one as well. 

Honestly, as a late cold-war grunt, WW3 was always a subject of fascination.   My uneducated guess was that massive Russian rocket, airstrikes and Spetsnaz operations would have taken out pretty much every NATO airbase on the continent within a day or two.  At that point, there would have been very little to stop the red hordes from steamrollering NATO ground forces.  Unlike earlier years, by the late 80's, the Russians had evolved into a pretty professional military equipped with tanks / AFV's that were quite competitive with their NATO counterparts and in some ways, superior.    Add chemical weapons into the mix and it would have truly have been ugly.  Thanks goodness we never got to that point. 

As far as the beloved A-10, my guess is that the few that got off the ground would have flown a mission or two before being shot down or ejected from when they returned to find their bases in piles of rubble (and yes, the Russians knew exactly where all those "secret" forward operating bases were in W. Germany). 

Good stuff, guys!   More fuel for my brain 😀

I'll definitely give Team Yankee a try.

ytsejam87, I've seen Flight of the old dog before but never quite picked up the book. Now might be a good time. I think one of my buddies has it. I'll ask him. Thank you!

Hajo, that's EXACTLY the kind of book I'm looking for.  Ghost Fleet seems to have the elements of a modern "Future War" scenario involving East Asia.  Thank you very much for the recommendation.

On 4/24/2020 at 1:51 AM, Whiskey said:

Whisky, thanks for the link. The NK vs SK scenario interests me.  The link also shows the author's other book "Covert Commando"  which, judging by the synopsis involves East Asia. 

jbryan, thanks for the links. The other book by FX Holden (Okinawa) seems quite interesting. Might get that one too.

Edited by JackMan
On 4/18/2020 at 11:05 PM, Hajo L. said:

"Ghost Fleet" is the next book for you!

Ghost_Fleet_%28novel%29.jpg

Written by P.W. SInger and August Cole, it describes a war between the US and China around the year 2050. To quote from Wiki:

"The authors explicitly wrote Ghost Fleet with the goal of exploring how new technological developments might impact a future war.[7][21] Technologies explored include electromagnetic railguns, swarm UAVs, optical head-mounted display glasses, space-based weaponry and performance-enhancing stimulants.[17][21] The book includes over 400 endnotes.[14]

Reception

Ghost Fleet has been praised as a useful exploration of future conflict, and recommended by leaders of the United States military as recommended reading for troops.[12][22] Admiral James Stavridis said the book is "A startling blueprint for the wars of the future and therefore needs to be read now!"[23]"

HAJO

Hajo, I really must thank you for introducing this one to me!   :worship::worship::worship:

It's a real page turner!  It's scarily realistic especially when it involves existing technology as well as very plausible tech that we may very well see in the very near future.

And the sub-plot involving the surfer girl.......... BONE-CHILLING.  Particularly in one scene that involves a chinese APC (Armored Personnel Carrier). 

Also, at the risk of turning this thread into a political storm, I have to say, as I was reading the book,  I couldn't help but think that maybe Donald Trump is right about dealing with the PRC after all.  Particularly when it comes to high tech stuff like microchips and software that is used in the US Military.  Not to mention the thousands of PRC students in American universities who may or may not be involved in IP theft ...particularly when it comes to high level research that may be weaponized by the CCP and used against the US.  The book explores such themes and paints them in a very realistic manner.

Admiral James Stavridis said the book is "A startling blueprint for the wars of the future and therefore needs to be read now!"

He may well be right. I highly recommend this book :thumbsup:

Edited by JackMan

Pump the brakes Jackman. It's not "He who shall not be named" (see what I did there, I made a funny😃) who is or may be correct. It's one or some of his advisors that he's actually listening to that would be correct in their assessment. Have a nice day!

JackMan, you are welcome! Mostly I have the feeling that good books can be recognized by the irritation they cause in your brain when you read them - "is that something I just read in the book or something I just saw in th enews today?" 

I had this strange feeling of mixing fiction and reality a lot during the last years, which is not a good sign concerning our situation in international relations... 😉

HAJO