• 2 weeks later...

Good recommendation, guys. Thank you :thumbsup:

Napalmakita, first person accounts always make for interesting reads. Gives you a "I was there" - real-time feeling. I'll seriously look into your recommendation.  Thank you.

frankycee, Red Phoenix interests me. I've read the reviews and the NK vs US + SK clash is intriguing.  I believe the author co-authored a sequel called Red Phoenix Burning so I'll have to look into that one as well. Thank you.

On 5/10/2020 at 6:27 AM, Whiskey said:

Going back to the OP's subject request I came across this article that is based off of some of the works suggested here.

https://mwi.usma.edu/autopsy-future-war/

Wow! That was quite a read. Thanks for the link, Whiskey. Exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. 

Things like these scare me....😯

Quote from the above article...

“Twelve of these incidents were in the United States and four in host nations or on bases overseas. In concert with the PLA’s Cyber Hacking Unit, in the thirty-six hours before the invasion, their system took control of four self-driving taxis in the DC area and turned them into weapons,” which McDermott said turned the cars into “mini-missiles.”

His comments explained a series of incidents that neither city authorities nor the companies who own the fleets of driverless vehicles in use in the city could explain. Self-driving taxis had operated in Washington for nearly two years without any major incident, but in the span of three days, four unexplained crashes—two deadly—occurred. McDermott told the committee that the victims of were all DoD personnel, but did not provide their names or further details about their jobs.

One victim was t-boned in an intersection during the morning commute. Another was struck while walking home from work the day before the conflict began. In suburban Alexandria a self-driving car inexplicably drove across a private home’s lawn and into the house.” McDermott did not provide details about the fourth incident.

Man, scary stuff. 😧

Yeah it's interesting. Kinda gives a whole new meaning to "staying off the grid." Lots of important points to learn from. With the nature of our country being as patriotic as we are and the amount of publicity/social media our military shares it'll be a 1000 wonders if any of those fictional events don't ever come to pass if we do actually get into a real war with Russia or China. I for one know that any training programs that would be implemented to teach dependents about the dangers of sharing too much information would probably be rejected wholeheartedly based on personal liberties, freedoms, rights, etc. None of the family members of my former soldiers would probably understand the true bigger picture. Sure, there's lots of communication blackouts and briefings on what to share, not to share, etc when units are preparing to deploy or even down range already. However if something were to happen tomorrow, everyone would be caught with their pants down and there's nothing we could do to prepare for it. OPSEC is very, very important. More important than it has ever been before due to the nature of electronic and cyber warfare and the willingness of enemies targeting civilians. 

Here's another really great piece just published on EW/CW that really brings things into the light for actual ground combat unit's perspective.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/33401/this-is-what-ground-forces-look-like-to-an-electronic-warfare-system-and-why-its-a-big-deal

6 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Here's another really great piece just published on EW/CW that really brings things into the light for actual ground combat unit's perspective.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/33401/this-is-what-ground-forces-look-like-to-an-electronic-warfare-system-and-why-its-a-big-deal

Jeebus!  That part about the Ukrainian officer and the phone call from his mother..... 😧

Real-life 'Enemy of the State' stuff.

8 hours ago, JackMan said:

Jeebus!  That part about the Ukrainian officer and the phone call from his mother..... 😧

Real-life 'Enemy of the State' stuff.

OPSEC bro. All about that OPSEC. That and knowing what proper procedures are for military families. I mean this could happen here and now to any family on a US installation. But where the difference will count is if the family is familiar with proper procedures and techniques for contacting WIA/KIAs.

47 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

OPSEC bro. All about that OPSEC. That and knowing what proper procedures are for military families. I mean this could happen here and now to any family on a US installation. But where the difference will count is if the family is familiar with proper procedures and techniques for contacting WIA/KIAs.

That would never work in today's America.   Only way to ensure personnel cell phones aren't compromised or targeted is to search every deploying troop before he get's on the plane and make sure he doesn't have a phone.    That Drive article was pretty cool.  For a few decades, the US military didn't have to worry about EW or being targeted on your electronic emissions.  Those day's are long gone.   Ukraine is a great case study on what the bad guys can do and I'm guessing that Russia didn't come close to showing all the tricks it's come up with while it's been studying how America fights since Gulf War 1. 

6 hours ago, 11bee said:

That would never work in today's America.   Only way to ensure personnel cell phones aren't compromised or targeted is to search every deploying troop before he get's on the plane and make sure he doesn't have a phone.

Yep pretty much what I was trying to point out in another previous post. With the way the battlefield has changed, our forces and even our society still takes for granted small things like cell phones that could cause more harm.

@11bee here's something I came across while reading a different article just published today. This specific one is actually from 2017.

"The newest cadre of Soldiers, known as the first generation of truly ‘digital natives,’ is often culturally resistant to regulations imposed on their online social interactions,” the AWG manual reminds the reader. However, “a simple, innocuous-seeming post on Twitter or Facebook can now give away location, movement, and military capabilities in the stroke of a key.”

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/14647/new-us-army-manual-shows-its-worried-about-russias-hybrid-warfare-tactics