1/48 Tamiya He 219 On Her Feet!!

Wanted to challenge my airbrushing skills to improve, so I grabbed this kit off the shelf and set off.  Now when it comes to the He 219, my research showed the same 4-5 paint schemes from NJG squadrons in 1944 and 1945.  I thought....there was ~250-300 of these aircraft out there...I'll airbrush a scheme that is close....but not exactly like a aircraft in the reference photos.

So I figured here is a HE 219, toward the end of the war...the pilots took delivery of a grey squiggle painted bird, but wanted the local squadron folks to paint the lower parts of the aircraft black.  Then after a P-47 attack on the airbase, someone came along and painted RLM 83 all over the top of the aircraft and pushed it into a tree line parking spot. 

Took about a week to construct the kit.  OOB.  Wine foil for seatbelts. 

Cheers

Collin

Here we go:

DprKLcp.jpg

W1Rij51.jpg

MI9oP7i.jpg

9uNUMDb.jpg

3BJ1sUD.jpg

2DsSRfz.jpg

OFGQVZX.jpg

pUBDFb2.jpg

0CV9uWQ.jpg

83W9DpW.jpg

LQm6Fmc.jpg

sip0wqg.jpg

ERkw4X4.jpg

hocvVfX.jpg

XmW2Njh.jpg

ZsQHNl2.jpg

Nn3cHuR.jpg

T2fmbQY.jpg

Collin,

The old classic Uhu ("Eagle-Owl") German aircraft. Way ahead of its time, one of the

many German efforts that would qualify as part of that narrative, during WW2. You

did a splendid job on the Camo-paint to start with, before applying the Green color.

Interesting perspective, I think I would of left it without the green but you explained

why it was applied. Always been intrigued with this aircraft, and its capabilities.

On 4/18/2020 at 11:22 AM, Collin said:

It was my attempt at: Liegeplatz-Tarnung" (Airfield-Hiding-Camo) of RLM 83 dark-green.

Collin

Completely understand, your paint job looks nice - I was just saying, I prefer the one

without the green Camo.

Beautiful German camo. I had stopped so many times from doing a German aircraft and its because I couldn't even do mottle effect properly. This is definitely out of my skills zone. 

2 hours ago, The Underdog said:

Completely understand, your paint job looks nice - I was just saying, I prefer the one

without the green Camo.

UD:

Sorry if you took that the wrong way, was just putting that info out there. 

Trust me, when I finished the squiggles and pulled out the RLM 83, I was tempted to stop and just keep what I had. Makes me think there might be a Ju-88 or Me-110 nightfighter in my future, another chance at squiggles. 

Cheers

Collin

• Collin changed the title to 1/48 Tamiya He 219 On Her Feet!!

Congratulations Collin

Outstanding work you are doing on a sleek looking subject, I love the paint job you did. 

I have this kit on my stash and the main thing holding me back from starting it is painting the camo, could you please share your technique? The squiggles, in particular, both in terms of how to make consistent lines and also how to make that random but, at the same time, "homogeneous" pattern (can't find a better term to describe it).

Thanks for sharing.

Carlos

On 4/19/2020 at 8:31 PM, Collin said:

UD:

Sorry if you took that the wrong way, was just putting that info out there. 

Trust me, when I finished the squiggles and pulled out the RLM 83, I was tempted to stop and just keep what I had. Makes me think there might be a Ju-88 or Me-110 nightfighter in my future, another chance at squiggles.

Cheers

Collin

Collin,

Now that the model is sitting on its gear, and the weathering and flat-coat has been

applied... I must admit, the RLM 83 Camo looks amazing. It looks like it was meant

to be. I still would enjoy seeing one of your efforts with the 'Squiggles,' on a Ju-88 or

Me-110. "My apologies to you for thinking like an Old-fart!"

7 hours ago, cruiz said:

Congratulations Collin

Outstanding work you are doing on a sleek looking subject, I love the paint job you did. 

I have this kit on my stash and the main thing holding me back from starting it is painting the camo, could you please share your technique? The squiggles, in particular, both in terms of how to make consistent lines and also how to make that random but, at the same time, "homogeneous" pattern (can't find a better term to describe it).

Thanks for sharing.

Carlos

For sure give the kit a go. 

Painting wise I have a few precise airbrushes (Mr Hobby 770 and Badger SOTAR 2020) which I used to paint this aircraft. The key is air pressure and thin paint. I practiced a bunch on my paint “mule” first. I used Mr Color paints thinned heavily with leveling thinner. 

When you are shooting a consistent thin line with the airbrush, grab your patience and draw some simple lines of “squiggle”, then smaller lines connecting those lines, then other squiggle lines connecting those. The pattern gets smaller and smaller in a random fashion. Hope that makes sense. The RLM 83 green is just super thinned and sprayed over that with my 2020 airbrush using ultra thinned paint and lower air pressure. You gotta lower the air pressure with these thin paints or you are going to flood the surface. 

One other thing. I knew I couldn’t represent the camo exactly, so I put that out of my mind and tried to paint something that looked close to my reference pics (and pics of other folks builds). I think sometimes trying to be exactly 100000% correct paralyzes my building. I think that worked in this case. 

I also took  some inspiration from this video: 

Edited by Collin
Spelling

Thank you, Collin.

Your explanation was clear, and it does make sense, I'll be practicing as much as I can to be prepared.

Looking forward to this build and wondering if you will be doing some weathering to go along with the context of a plane hidden on the outside between trees.

Carlos

Carlos:

I think from a weathering perspective I am keeping her pretty clean (where she is now, some dirty stuff near the engines and nose area/exhaust stains).  I'm also at the point in the build I want to be done...always happens at the 90% of the build when you start eyeing another kit in the stash.  So thinking of weathering beyond where the 219 stands now...I know I don't have the patience to go farther.

Practice is key.  My paint "mule" is a mess with all the attempt.  

Cheers

Collin