Got a phone call awhile ago from a friend, to let me know Bennie Adkins went home yesterday I think. CV-19 got him when an NVA Regiment failed to do so.

Bennie was though as it ever was. Had so many medals that he probably needed a back brace to wear them. In the year of 68, Bennie was an often spoke about legend that only a few had really met. He won the CMH for actions at A102 (the old camp in the Ashau Valley). Just the write up will make the hair stand up on your neck! Bennie was a never quit kinda guy that led by his actions. Last photos I saw of him scared you to death! He looked the part of an old very rugged vet, with eyes that pierced your heart. Yet folks that knew him will tell you h was a good man.

He had 17 or 18 wounds when he got the CMH, and yet managed to take out 175 of the other guys while ferrying wounded to a gravel air strip about three miles away (the air strip was outside the valley). 

My kinda hero!

gary

9 hours ago, airmechaja said:

Sad to hear. A true hero. RIP :salute:

I used ( guess we'd call it a sublease) the second A102 for about nine months. That's where I heard about this guy that was too big to be real. There were a couple guys that served with him, and that joke about how Bennie would do this or that, or they'd say will Bennie approve of this? I thought he was dead, and then Obama awarded him the CMH along with Don Sloat (out of my area). I guess he and Vinnie Poole are up there trading stories today. Vinnie was probably the best I was ever around.

gary