1/32 trumpeter Mig-23 landing gear

Hi all

I'm building the 1/32 trumpeter Mig-23 MLD flogger K.  However I need to make a decision on the main landing gear.  I'm doing an Afghanistan war bird but I am undecided as to whether I will give it a full air to air loadout or a strike loadout.  So In the kit you get two sets of metal main landing gear.  One set is for showing the jet is under weight making it sit low,  and the other set is for showing the jet is light and has the model sit higher.

Now if I put on a full air to air loadout, would that be enough to show the jet is under weight and should I use this set of landing gear?  Obviously if I do it in a strike loadout, ill-use the landing gear showing the jet is under weight and sits low.

But what main landing gear set should I use for an air to air loadout?  Anyone tell me what would be correct?  If both an air to air loadout and a strike loadout made the jet sit low under weight, that would be the perfect solution as I wouldn't have to choose the loadout now.

So if anyone knows, let me know

Many thanks

Howdy Modelkeenfan,

I think the issue may perhaps be the following: Early model Floggers sat really nose high; late model Mig-23’s were still nose high, but much LESS acute. Check out Doogs Models on the “MiG-23 landing gear pickle”. He explains it more thoroughly. Trumpeter was covering both early and late models?

I’m certainly no expert on the MiG-23; but typically, when a modern jet was fully loaded vs. “light”, the only way you could distinguish the difference was by measuring the oleo struts- and it was in an inch or two. Put the bird on stands for a LDG drop check and those oleos extend to their max. Look at the F-4- the nose gear extension is almost two feet!

So, I’m thinking the kit issue involves early vs late model rather than weight on wheels (heavy vs light).  So load out shouldn’t matter, speculatively speaking. Now if you’re going to build it gear down but in flight, I’d use the “light”, fully extended, LDG set.

Also, Facebook  “Cold War Soviet Aircraft” has some great videos of the Mig-23 LDG drop check. One last thing, I believe the retraction cylinder also did double duty as a shock absorber on the Flogger.

Perhaps this may help? Good building!

afoxbat

Thanks for that.  Yes I've been going through my book Famous russian aircraft on the mig 23 MLD and I don't see any difference in the position of the landing gear or nose attitude in photos where it is bombed up, has a full AA load or is clean.  So what you are saying makes perfect sense.  So I think I'll put on the landing gear that is not compressed.  I'll also have a read of your suggestions. 

Many thanks again

Yes you did thanks.  I bought the book "Famous russian aircraft mig-23 and mig-27" by Yefim GORDON.  It's a great book for a modelling reference and information.  Go no further than this book for all you need to know about the Mig23 and it's variants.  I'm doing an Afghanistan war bird.  Interesting thing is that they either flew strike/interdiction missions or just CAPS.  They never had a mix of AA missiles and bombs, just one or the other.  I recently purchased a heap of different ordnance from reskit as I'm also doing a SU25 as well.

An interesting picture shows the Mig23 MLD with four MBD2-67U MERs on it with 16 FAB 100s.  Now I thought the pilots hated flying with these as not very stable at high-speed and the pilot had to go to low to drop the bombs.  So I dare say it wasn't a common loadout.

However I think I might put this loadout on my mig23.  It looks good.  But maybe I put on cluster bombs.  I will see.  I think the Mig23 looks good in the strike/interdiction role.

Hey, you’re most welcome! Looks like you’re building a brute!! Load out sounds quite intimidating!  I agree with you on your reference resource. Yefim Gordon is superlative! He gave me some great info for my Yak-28! And the Reskit is really good stuff. Have used them for awhile and have NOT been disappointed. Their R-40’s are the best. Sounds if you’ve done you homework in this bird! Hope you post some pictures of your build when finished. I’d be interested.

Good building!

afoxbat

You can't beat having excellent reference material and nothing beats a book.  We have the internet now and can lookup anything or find pictures but that can never replace a book.  A book contains pictures, information and the only way you gain knowledge is by reading.  With a book you can pull it out any time, have a read or lookup anything as it's at your fingertips.  There is nothing that beats that smell of an open book.  To me, buying a book is as important as buying the kit.  Some people just make models for the enjoyment but I also make models to learn about the engineering, of the jet, why and how it was designed the way it is and to learn all about the jet and it's variants.  Only a book can give you this.  And when you understand all that about a jet, you make a better model.  You can't beat knowledge!!!!!

So my mig23 has the Aires cockpit set, Aires burner can, reskit bombs and MERs, zactomans update set of pylons, splitter plates ect, Eduard interior and exterior sets, linden hill Afghan decals, linden hill stencil data decals, Hungarian aero decals KM-1 seat, Aires chaff/flare dispensers and Aires air scoops.  I can't say I'm a fan of the Aires KM-1 seat.  It just looks out of proportion and not right.  Does anyone agree?  That's why I bought the Hungarian aero decals KM-1 seat.  So all in all it should turn out a well detailed Mig23 MLD.

I also bought the famous russian aircraft mig-29 and mig35.  Again by Yefim GORDON.  It's just the same and a complete Bible to the mig29 modeller.  I have the 1/32 trumpeter mig29 SMT which is next on the list with the zactomans update set, cold war studio cockpit set which I will have to use the Eduard mig29M PE set as the cockpit set is for a mig29A.  And of course some reskit cluster bombs and will do a subject currently deployed to Syria.  So I have enough to keep me busy.

I'll post pics of the Mig23 when finished.

On 4/18/2020 at 7:40 PM, Modelkeenfan said:

You can't beat having excellent reference material and nothing beats a book.  We have the internet now and can lookup anything or find pictures but that can never replace a book.  A book contains pictures, information and the only way you gain knowledge is by reading.  With a book you can pull it out any time, have a read or lookup anything as it's at your fingertips.  There is nothing that beats that smell of an open book.  To me, buying a book is as important as buying the kit.  Some people just make models for the enjoyment but I also make models to learn about the engineering, of the jet, why and how it was designed the way it is and to learn all about the jet and it's variants.  Only a book can give you this.  And when you understand all that about a jet, you make a better model.  You can't beat knowledge!!!!!

So my mig23 has the Aires cockpit set, Aires burner can, reskit bombs and MERs, zactomans update set of pylons, splitter plates ect, Eduard interior and exterior sets, linden hill Afghan decals, linden hill stencil data decals, Hungarian aero decals KM-1 seat, Aires chaff/flare dispensers and Aires air scoops.  I can't say I'm a fan of the Aires KM-1 seat.  It just looks out of proportion and not right.  Does anyone agree?  That's why I bought the Hungarian aero decals KM-1 seat.  So all in all it should turn out a well detailed Mig23 MLD.

I also bought the famous russian aircraft mig-29 and mig35.  Again by Yefim GORDON.  It's just the same and a complete Bible to the mig29 modeller.  I have the 1/32 trumpeter mig29 SMT which is next on the list with the zactomans update set, cold war studio cockpit set which I will have to use the Eduard mig29M PE set as the cockpit set is for a mig29A.  And of course some reskit cluster bombs and will do a subject currently deployed to Syria.  So I have enough to keep me busy.

I'll post pics of the Mig23 when finished.

Looking forward to seeing your build!!!  People on these sites are a wealth of information!  Amazing!

Edited by B.Sin